Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,353,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Campbell also wrote The Bad Seed (about an 8 yr. old girl who murders - with no remorse), which was made into a terrific movie in the late '50s. The little heifer's name was "Rhoda Penmark". Patty McCormick played her.
Hiya Soda... You're right, Patty was superbly cruel in that movie. Saw it as a kid & the sight of her pigtails & rosy cheeks on the video box still gives me the chills.

BTW, you probably know, but if you weren't aware, Patty's all grown up & played Adrianna's mother in The Sopranos. I would never have known, but watched a Peter Bogdanovich interview on one of the DVD extras. As a 2nd aside, although I dislike virtually all his movies, Peter's thrilling to listen to & if you get a chance, YT some of his impressions, which are spot on... he's a wonderful mimic & storyteller.

I just looked up Patty & had no idea she was acting here & there all along. Seems she also played Pat Nixon in the movie Frost/Nixon.

Patty McCormack - IMDb

Old 07-09-2013, 09:30 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,998,873 times
Finally saw Dead Man Walking (1995) in its entirety. Very good movie. Excellent performances.

But I still believe firmly in the death penalty. Sorry Tim Robbins.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 AM

20 posts, read 13,177 times
I had looked the TV series that is called as Prison. I had looked it two years ago, but I still remember it often. When I began the review I failed to stop myself. The next three days I was looking that one. I guess, it was the best TV series for me. 1st and 2nd seasons were the best ones. Just, I is not so hard loving 4th season, I suppose that the developers spent all of them ideas. I have been loving this TV series.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:15 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,095 times
The Doors. Fantastic.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
The Doors. Fantastic.
Very good movie & wasn't Val Kilmer great?! I've known 2 people who saw the Doors live onstage many times & knew Jim enough to have held brief conversations with him... they both said Val basically channeled Jim in that movie.

In fact, the movie seems to have been hard to hold a candle to... aside from interesting roles in a couple of bit parts, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure Val has been able to find any role since, which has lived up to his portrayal of Morrison?? Too bad because I've always liked him onscreen.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 AM

536 posts, read 830,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Very good movie & wasn't Val Kilmer great?! I've known 2 people who saw the Doors live onstage many times & knew Jim enough to have held brief conversations with him... they both said Val basically channeled Jim in that movie.

In fact, the movie seems to have been hard to hold a candle to... aside from interesting roles in a couple of bit parts, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure Val has been able to find any role since, which has lived up to his portrayal of Morrison?? Too bad because I've always liked him onscreen.
I agree Jim Morrison was probably his best role, but Doc Holiday in Tombstone was a pretty close second.

He's done lots of really good movies - He was in Heat, He was Madmartigan in Willow, Real Genius a classic from the 80's, He was Iceman in Top Gun, He was great in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr. ... I mean the list goes on.

And he's got 6 movies on the way.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
He's done lots of really good movies - He was in Heat, He was Madmartigan in Willow, Real Genius a classic from the 80's, He was Iceman in Top Gun, He was great in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang with Robert Downey Jr. ... I mean the list goes on.
This is where different tastes come into play. Aside from Heat, 1/2 of your list isn't what I'd ever watch & 1/2 I didn't like. No judgment... I daresay most of the movies I like (obscure foreign film or obscure indie, mostly) are so far left of center, one can't readily find them.

Quote:
And he's got 6 movies on the way.
According to imdb, he's got 5 movies & 1 TV appearance on the way, no word on if he's the lead. My point was his parts are often smaller ones, some good, but so often the movies, imho are hit or miss.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:23 AM

536 posts, read 830,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
This is where different tastes come into play. Aside from Heat, 1/2 of your list isn't what I'd ever watch & 1/2 I didn't like. No judgment... I daresay most of the movies I like (obscure foreign film or obscure indie, mostly) are so far left of center, one can't readily find them.

According to imdb, he's got 5 movies & 1 TV appearance on the way, no word on if he's the lead. My point was his parts are often smaller ones, some good, but so often the movies, imho are hit or miss.
Well you're right people have different tastes. Personally I hate most foreign films. I am very much a USA Hollywood movie type of person so that's probably why I enjoyed him many different roles where you didn't.

To each his own though

Old 07-11-2013, 12:19 PM

8,329 posts, read 13,465,162 times
Never seen the movie Doors but I am sure he was great in it, heard really awesome feedback about his performance though.

Though, he was great in Tombstone and Heat, my favorite Val Kilmer movies are Spartan and At First Sight. I know I have a weird taste. I am also a sucker for romantic dramas.
Comedy wise, doesn't get much better than Top Secret or Real Genius.

Last couple of movies I saw and liked:
- Dark Portals (French)
- Easy Money (Swedish)
- Irreversible (French)

Old 07-11-2013, 02:19 PM

1,879 posts, read 2,029,159 times
Redbox adventures continue!

Oz the Great and Powerful - B. Pretty decent. Michelle Williams was a wonderful Glinda. James Franco could use some more variety in his facial expressions, but I'll let him pass. I didn't think Mila was that terrifying as the Wicked Witch; then again, if she was too terrifying it couldn't go under the Disney moniker, now could it? Many people (my gf) seemed to find the opening b+w part boring, but it may be my favorite sequence honestly, watching James as a bumbling con-man. Low point: the brief munchkin song, proving that Danny Elfman is no Harold Arlen and should stay far away from attempting to be.

Not Fade Away - C. Attempting to be a grittier, more adult That Thing You Do, fine idea for me in theory, but it was simply incompetent. Scenes go buy with 2 lines of actual dialogue and lots of staring at each other and drug use, and the characters were really shallow (the parents being the worst). It was impressive how close the lead actor looks like Bob Dylan c. 1966, but otherwise, just watch That Thing You Do again.

Jesus of Montreal - A-. I enjoyed this! French Canadian down-on-their-luck actors come together and create their own ultramodern version of the Passion story. If that doesn't sound appealing, it's one of those movies where the actors are quite fine, probably improvise a lot of their over-the-top performance piece, and generally all have a great time making the movie their own. If you need another reason to see the movie:

Playing for Keeps - C+. I add the "+" for the performances, which were fine, from Gerard Butler, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Uma Thurman, Dennis Quaid --- honestly, how did they get so many big name actors to be in this movie? It's not good! The script was really quite thin. Is it THAT many men's fantasy to coach soccer and have all the divorced mothers fawn over you?

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies