Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 AM

536 posts, read 832,176 times

Advertisements

Just watched the 9/11 conspiracy documentary Loose Change again for the first time in a few years. Now streaming on Netflix. No comment on the movie as I don't want to derail the thread

Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,908,141 times
I last watched The Goonies (One of my favourite 80s movies)

Old 07-09-2013, 04:54 AM

4,075 posts, read 2,161,165 times
PT, thanks for the review of Jagten. Sounds excellent. Did you see it in a theater? It's not yet released on Netflix.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,364,766 times
Yesterday, I attempted to watch 2013's Trance with Scottish actor, James McAvoy & awful actress, Rosario Dawson. Rosario's a hypnotherapist, who puts James under hypnosis in order to find a stolen painting. The trailer is exciting, so what happened to the movie?

The mob boss is about as intimidating as a 4-yr old girl with ringlets, who made me burst out laughing each time he tried his best Elvis-gone-bad lip quivering & scary-man eye glower... must have seen a Clint Eastwood movie one time too many. McAvoy is a good actor, obviously working to pay for his wife's shoe collection with a one-note, pointless script. Rosario is about as convincing as a tough-girl medical professional as Joe Pesci playing Othello.

The daft plot is entirely unbelievable in an annoying way, not in the suspending reality for a sci-fi movie kind of way. Nothing is interesting, from cinematography to storyline to dialogue to acting. All the poorly written jokes fell flat. Further adding to unintended comedy was the terribly mismatched leads. In addition to no chemistry whatsoever, I had no idea McAvoy was so tiny & short (he must have a 20" waist & 25" hips)... hilariously standing next to weightlifting Rosario, he looks like one of the wee ones from Lord of the Rings. In an absolutely silly love scene between them, I wanted to yell out loud at the screen to big-boned Rosario, 'Be careful, don't hurt him!" The irony of miniscule Danny Boyle of Trainspotting fame directing McAvoy hasn't gone unnoticed. There must be some amusing stills of the tiny twosome discussing dodgy dialogue onset.

I don't know the ending & OMG I don't bloody well care. Couldn't last beyond 30-min, when I bolted like a frightened deer. I have no idea how this movie is getting good ratings. A more fun night would be spent bicycling on ice, backwards. Better to spend your $10 ticket price on 2 slices of pizza or a pint of Guinness. Oh, did I mention how much I despised this horrid flick?

0* out of 5. Worst movie I've seen this year. James McAvoy... you owe me 5-quid, mate. Rosario... please never act again.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,432,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We just got back from The Heat, Sandra Bullock's new movie. It is hilarious and I highly recommend it.
We thought it was funny too. Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock are terrific together! I predict a sequel.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,364,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
PT, thanks for the review of Jagten. Sounds excellent. Did you see it in a theater? It's not yet released on Netflix.
Hiya Jazz...

You're very welcome, my pleasure.

You may already be well aware of the following, so forgive my rehashing known info, should that be the case. We don't currently use Netflix & are sans cable movie channels, but watched Jagten on DVD, which was available for purchase this past May. I actually bought my copy in Scandinavia. Just checked & see it comes out in the theatres on 12 July in the states, should you be so inclined.

I speak several languages, so sometimes purchase foreign DVDs, often available many months prior to ones with English subtitles sold in the states. And, nothing against Netflix, but I'm all for free & they often don't have many films of interest for me, save for some standup comedy & old punk band bios. Many films (we like documentaries) can be found on YT, Crackle, Hulu & a few other legal sites... so since our tastes run far from mainstream, it's not hard to find tucked away treasures online. My new discovery is that popular TV episodes can often be found online... like Dexter (well, at least the premier seasonal episode) & if one is in a murder & mayhem mood, 48 Hours & Dateline. Sometimes, the latter are guilty pleasures... well, more an 'I'm up all night with a migraine' activity.

Since I've only lived in large cities, public libraries can get the obscure foreign/indie films we like 99% of the time. At times, it means waiting 1-2 wks, but I'm fine with that. When I discovered free 'rental' was possible about 5-yrs ago, I cancelled NF.

The SO loves movie theatres, so 1/3 of our movies are seen in indie theatres, mostly. For me, if a borrowed library copy isn't available, I'd rather buy the film used on half.com or westcoast Goodwill stores (yep, they've often got an online presence for book/DVD/CD sales) for a low price & I either keep them or re-sell them if they're not to my liking.

I do prefer DVDs, however, because one thing I adore are film commentaries... I've seen films I absolutely abhorred, but loved the commentary so kept the DVD. Even with movies I like, I often like the commentaries as much as the film. Probably more than you needed to know, but what can I say... I strive for concise, but am often too verbal for such an accusation.

Hope you enjoy the film, should you watch it. I'd be interested in your feedback.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM

1,299 posts, read 1,354,094 times
Now you see me...

I know it's been out a few months...but we really enjoyed it..!

Old 07-09-2013, 03:11 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,008,872 times
Saw a great film called Company K 1917-18. It was about a writer's (William March/aka William Campbell) true life experiences of WWI. He wrote a book about it in 1933 (or maybe it was published in '33). After he "cleansed" himself, as it were, from the experiences, he never spoke of the War again.

Campbell also wrote The Bad Seed (about an 8 yr. old girl who murders - with no remorse), which was made into a terrific movie in the late '50s. The little heifer's name was "Rhoda Penmark". Patty McCormick played her.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,488,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
We thought it was funny too. Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock are terrific together! I predict a sequel.
Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping so.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,488,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
This weekend we saw Vinterberg's 2012 Danish film, Jagten ("The Hunt").

Danish with English subtitles.
Brilliant film.
5* out of 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC-4yqXIQSs
Not unusaul for me, but I had a duh moment. I just realized this is a movie I was looking for a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find it.I had looked for it after the finale of Hannibal I was searching for something on rotten tomatoes and saw Mads' Pic on the cover of a DVD and tried to reserve it at my library under the title "The Hunt" they didn't have it under that title and not under the Jagten title either. Duh me. I'll give it another week and then see if Red Box has it or I'll see about calling in a request to my library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies