Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 01:59 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times

Advertisements

Wolverine. Some people really seemed to like it alot.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 PM

987 posts, read 1,386,671 times
"October Baby" It's OK

Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,203,529 times
Some recent movies that I would rate 5 stars out of 5:

42 (Story of Jackie Robinson, the Black baseball player)

Hannah Arandt (not just another Holocaust movie)

The Attack (makes you think about whether you REALLY know your significant other)

20 Feet From Stardom (pure delight, especially for Baby Boomers...documetary about the backup singers from the 60's and 70's, includes appearances by Bruce Springsteen, Mick Jagger, Sting, Ike and Tina Turner, Luther Vandross, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Merry Clayton, Lisa Fischer, Judith Hill, Darlene Love. Anyone who loves music will love this amazing flim.)

Old 07-28-2013, 12:17 AM

1,231 posts, read 1,387,985 times
Red 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCM3HhGUJsM

Old 07-28-2013, 12:35 PM

74 posts, read 63,316 times
I've watched my all-time favorite movie, West Side Story, at least twice this month, of this year; once at the Brattle Theatre, here in Cambridge, MA, as an ordinary, digitally-restored, Hi-Def version and another time, at Tanglewood (which is in Western MA, out in the Berkshires), as a Boston Symphony Orchestra/West Side Story (film) concert. While the Boston Symphony Orchestra played a fantastic live rendition of the musical score to the film, the vocals, dialogues and singing in the film were kept in tact, and the same sort of Hi-Def, digitally-restored version of the film were shown on various parts of the shed (where I was!), as well as on on the lawn nearby. Not surprisingly, West Side Story being West Side Story, this great concert sold out, and there were 20, 000 people there! It was a great concert, and having a live rendition of the musical score added a whole new dimension to an already-great classic film.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Silver Linings Playbook.

Didn't get to read the book first, just rented it on a whim. I work in the mental health field so I found it pretty interesting.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:33 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
Silver Linings Playbook.

Didn't get to read the book first, just rented it on a whim. I work in the mental health field so I found it pretty interesting.
I liked that movie. I figured it was a "chick flick" when we got it through Redbox. Was surprised...not bad at all. Some sappy moments, but not all lovey dovey like I was expecting.

Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-28-2013, 06:04 PM

147 posts, read 229,083 times
"Great Gatsby"
The visual display was stunning and the pace was proper for even the shortest attention span, unlike "Lincoln," which was extraordinarily looong and drawn out.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Yesterday, we watched 2012's Beware of Mr. Baker, a documentary about drummer Ginger Baker. As a disclaimer, I must admit, Cream & Blind Faith were before my time & are not my flavor of music, although I can appreciate the contribution both bands made... just as I can with Elvis, Sinatra or the Beatles, although I'd never listen to any of the aforementioned. < Feel free to eye roll me >

We both love good stories on any host of subjects. Since the SO is a musician, has a huge collection of vinyl & has seen Ginger live many times, well... he has an attachment to liking him & felt him a bit of a mean, yet amusing ol' cad, who bent the rules. He quite liked the doc, but felt it was a bit laggy in the middle.

I thought it was very good, as well (mainly as it's all new info for me & the cinematography style was quite well done & unique), but became a bit of a drag as there was too much ill tempered & always foul Ginger-man monologue now as a bitter, still violent, old man. Every time the camera panned to him, I wanted to say out loud, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. You don't like someone else, or something else & you're still bloody mad as a hatter about it.' He's such an unapologetically abusive man (not roguishly charming in any sense of the word) that I decided early on I didn't like him, felt he was one of those people who had a lot of good luck (& bad, to be fair) yet didn't quite deserve it, in lieu of how reprehensible he was to others & I just simply didn't care about him.

So, great doc & you'll more than likely love it if you like the music of the 60s or want to hear the flashback opinions of Ginger's former bandmates, 1st set of children & ex-wives & famous drummers he's inspired. Well worth the watch... I can add to my list another person I knew nothing of before, but now have a paragraph I can recite about his life. My paragraph will begin with, 'What a bleedin' nutter!'

Informative, but not entertaining in that you never quite warm up to the subject, meaning Ginger. A bit long, as well... could have been 30-min shorter, for sure.

4* out of 5 from the SO... minus 1* for being a bit too long.
3* out of 5 from the non-musician, mainly as it's just not where my musical interests lie.

Beware of Mr. Baker

Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,940,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easherly View Post
"Great Gatsby"
The visual display was stunning and the pace was proper for even the shortest attention span, unlike "Lincoln," which was extraordinarily looong and drawn out.
I may check out the Great Gatsby. I was "forced" to read the book in highschool but I actually liked it! I even went out and rented the Robert Redford version and watched it on my own. I'm curious how this Leo version is....

Yes, Lincoln was way too long. I fell asleep twice when we rented it. I never got to the end of it (but I sort of know what happens heh heh). Anyway, the cinematography was alright, I suppose. But it just had this overall dreary quality to it. Thank God I didn't go with my original plan to watch it in the theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.