Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,318,671 times

Advertisements

Lincoln..I personally thought it was an outstanding film

Old 01-23-2013, 08:57 PM

1,887 posts, read 2,037,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

One distraction for me was Daniel Day Lewis' voice, which I never noticed was quite high. I guess my impression of Lincoln, with that tall figure & battle-worn face, was that he had a far lower, booming voice.
I haven't seen Lincoln, but I actually remember my 8th grade history teacher mentioning that Lincoln had a high-pitched voice. It was a reason why many people instinctively preferred Douglas, who did have a booming voice, in the debates. Thanks, Mr. Strong!

Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 PM

987 posts, read 1,389,332 times
"Cloud Atlas" It was all over the place! So, I'm going to watch it all over again!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,364,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
I haven't seen Lincoln, but I actually remember my 8th grade history teacher mentioning that Lincoln had a high-pitched voice. It was a reason why many people instinctively preferred Douglas, who did have a booming voice, in the debates.
Interesting, thanks Avery. I recall hearing the same of Valentino's voice (not the designer, the silent film actor). Talkies ruined his career. I suppose the public can be caught off guard when expecting something different. Fortunately, vocal quality didn't affect Lincoln's path... but, sadly his achievements are forever mingled with his assassination.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:46 AM

4,075 posts, read 2,160,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
jazzcat

thank you and I will check that movie out....I heard ,,Veer-Zaara'' is good (a 2004 Indian romantic drama film directed by Yash Chopra under the Yash Raj Films banner. The film stars Shahrukh Khan, Preity Zinta and Rani).Did you see that movie?Let me know please...
Just put it on my Netflix queue---thanks!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,701,145 times
El Gringo-Stupid
Life of Pi-Unique, I liked it

Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM

987 posts, read 1,389,332 times
"Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance" Enjoyed it very much!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,701,145 times
lol you did?

Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,252,467 times
The Woodsman, disturbing yet beautiful movie about a convicted child molester (played by Kevin Bacon) trying to reintegrate into society after spending 12 years in prison.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,239,529 times
I've been continuing my movie-mad ways, adding some new ones plus revisiting old favorites. Among those jotted down in my film journal are:
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - IMDb ~ I long ago lost count of how many times I've watched it. Just this month, I've seen it five times!
Flower Drum Song (1961) - IMDb ~ This film never ceases to captivate me. I still have a crush on James Shigeta, whom I've admired for half a century~since I was @10 years old. I also adore Patrick Adiarte and Jack Soo. This is such a fantastic film! Miyoshi Umeki is adorable, and I wish she had worked much more. Everyone is perfect!
Vatel (2000) - IMDb ~ How did I manage to miss this awesome film for so many years?! I suppose many times it's a matter of timing: being at the right place at the right time. This followed "Flower Drum Song", and I thought I'd watch a bit before going to bed, considering it was at least 3 a.m. by then. I was so riveted that I watched all of it and wished that it would be aired again so that I can videotape it. I'm a Gerard Depardieu fan and, for some reason, am surprised every time by his performance. Yep! He did it again: captivated me! I don't understand why Uma Thurman is attacked, as I thought she was perfect in the role and certainly looks more "period" than most other actresses they try to pass off in historical films. I can't wait to see it again and will be haunting listings. This must have been stunning in a theater.
Dean Spanley (2008) - IMDb ~ This was the second time for me, and I almost didn't tune in. I remembered liking it, but I didn't recall how much I had enjoyed it. How could I go wrong with Peter O'Toole and Sam Neill, with Bryan Brown and Jeremy Northam in there, too. I was surprised to find myself in tears near the end, knowing that I must have cried that other time, too? I'm not even a dog person! I'm fascinated by reincarnation, and this likely is the most unusual film on that subject. Does anyone else think of "spaniel" when s/he sees "Spanley"?
Road to Morocco (1942) - IMDb ~ I know that I have watched this film many times throughout the decades, but it has been a long time since my last viewing. I really enjoyed it and hope TCM will air more of the series.

Presently, I'm watching Welcome Stranger (1947) - IMDb. This is the first time TCM has shown it, so I decided to check it out. It re-teams Bing Crosby and Barry Fitzgerald. It's a nice little film but not one I'd feel compelled to catch again.

Up next is Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967) - IMDb. I'm not a fan of this musical, but it will be a nice way to take me into late-night viewing. I wonder what I'll find tonight? I might even check out On Demand (free service) or watch something on YouTube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies