Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

To answer the original question, the last movie I watched was a rental. Slumdog Millionaire. I really enjoyed it.
I watched this one a few weeks ago and found the triumph over human tragedy quite moving. Overall acting...commendable!

Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I have watched the Shawshank Redemption many times and it never fails me. A great movie, I think.

Tom Hanks has this little smile that plays around his mouth, a physical thing, and I could not get past that in Saving Private Ryan. It just didn't fly for me. I saw Tom Hanks for the first time in a movie with Jackie Gleason and I loved that sensitivity around his mouth (MO). It played so well with the cynicism of Jackie Gleason and I see it in every movie with Tom Hanks. SPR was such a serious movie and I couldn't believe Hanks as the character portrayed...the little mouth thing got to me....crazy.

We watched Wooley Boys on Utube the other night with Kris Kristopherson (?) and Peter Fonda and it was a good movie...sad but good, not too heavy. There are some decent free movies on there if you look enough. Quite a few are independants that didn't get a big showing or went to straight to DVD and have good solid casts. Some won prizes at film festivals. Not bad for a free movie. There are, of course, the really old movies. I have started to watch Birth of a Nation about 5 times and can't make it through about 1/2 hour <s>.

I saw Heat but it was too intense for me. Go figure. But, I will watch LA Confidential any day. Great movie.

I am so shallow. I like the old Mel Gibson movies, the Road Warrior/Mad Max series. I like the Terminator series with Arh-nuld. I love Waterworld and I even liked The Postman. My DH and I never get tired of Waterworld and especially Dennis Hopper. I love John Wayne movies. I have the directors cut of Das Boot and think that is a great movie. I watched Tora, Tora, Tora, twice in one weekend. I love Kurt Russell as Snake Plisskin, actually anything he plays in.

I think I am going to bed....LOL..I am babbling.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
"The Social Network" which I really did not enjoy . Excellent acting but I found the whole story completely uninteresting and not one of the characters to have even one iota of interest for me. A movie about a lot of arrogant people I could not have cared less about. I suppose as a hater of facebook it was never going to be the film for me as it confirmed everything I suspected.

"Wild Target" which I watched just before "TSN" was most enjoyable, a silly but rather fun piece of hokum and dark comedy.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:17 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times
Queen to Play; French sub titles, watched it on Netflix streaming, takes place in Corsica, has Kevin Kline in it which was a bit of a surprise

I enjoyed this movie. You either have to like, or be in the mood for this type of film. One of those...no real action, not much of what you would call a plot. More like watching some part of someone's life unfolding. It's quiet and intimate.

The main character is a maid who's life has lead a very simple, somewhat poor and probably humdrum life though you don't get the sense she is unhappy by that. Her husband is preoccupied by the possibility of losing his job though and the marriage seems to have lost its spark. Then one day making up a room she sees a couple playing chess and they make it look very intimate and sexy. Somehow she gets taken with the idea of chess.....and learns how to play.

from IMBD:
Sandrine Bonnaire and Kevin Kline shine in this sophisticated feel-good comedy set in idyllic Corsica. Middle-aged chambermaid Hélène's newfound obsession with the game of chess leads her to seek the tutelage of a reclusive American expat, transforming both of their ho-hum lives in the process.

Part of an Ebert review
The most observant element of "Queen to Play" is the way it handles the changing relationship between Helene and Dr. Kroger (with Kline speaking in French). The story is based on the novel The Chess Player by Bertina Henrichs, and what it knows is the way the minds of two players can become engaged, not in a romantic way, but in the pure contact of their thinking. There are often no words in the mind during a chess game. Just rules of spatial relationships. It can get pretty intimate.

Anyone up for a second version of this thread titled maybe - what was the last thing you watched on Streaming? Because I have to figure out whether to get rid of Netflix streaming or not. I never seem to be able to find anything to watch. 3/4 of what occurs to me that I want to watch isn't on streaming and I get frustrated.
Should we start one? Put up a vote thread?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:27 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,789 times
What Happens in Vegas

Old 09-04-2011, 03:49 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,378 times
Blood and chocolate

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,524 times
Kelly's Heros satire on ww2 Clint Eastwood
A Bridge at Remagen ww2 Ben Gazara
Both good war moviies, one fiction, one true.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:57 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Love and Other Drugs

a better movie than expected.. love story ~ a bit of opposite attracts... good performance by both Jake Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway

Old 09-05-2011, 04:04 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
Just watched "Sex and the City" and "Sex and the City 2." Silly but...entertaining I would say. Aside from a few burst of sexual scenes, it turned out to be okay after all, nothing deep. Surprisingly, I enjoyed Kim Cabrall in this movie.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:04 AM

358 posts, read 470,839 times
Rewatched The Silence Of The Lambs last night for the 1st time in eons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies