Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,346,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
The Grey. OH just shoot me, talk about depressing plus the dialogue along with acting was all around pretty bad.
So glad I had the very sill movie Duplex to throw in after even if it took a turn for the worst after a while, it still had plenty of laughs 3/4 of the way through.
Lol! We just saw it last night and loved it. It's one of those movies I thought about all day. The film was made in British Columbia and the weather scenes were real...no CGI. Liam Neeson said at times it dropped to -40C. I believe it, here we are in the middle of summer and I was freezing watching it.

Did you catch the very last scene after the credits rolled?

Old 08-06-2012, 07:29 AM

407 posts, read 830,674 times
Goodfellas

Old 08-06-2012, 10:34 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,477,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Lol! We just saw it last night and loved it. It's one of those movies I thought about all day. The film was made in British Columbia and the weather scenes were real...no CGI. Liam Neeson said at times it dropped to -40C. I believe it, here we are in the middle of summer and I was freezing watching it.

No, I didn't catch the scene after the credits, I was too busy cringing and then laughing from watching that dramatic Wolverine move. I still have the movie, maybe, I'll slip it back in to see what you're refering to and just to amuse myself and see the wolverine move again.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,227,069 times
Act of Valor, a story of activities of Navy SEALS starring... Navy SEALS based on actual events. Was terrific. Even better in the second viewing. Amazon Prime $.99 for 48 hours ($1.99 HD).

Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,219,809 times
Key Largo - Claire Trevor and Edward G. Robinson's performances still hold up beautifully and keep the film from becoming a joke. Lauren Bacall seems more wooden with every re-watching, she is so bad that she is embarrassing. Humphrey Bogart walks through this as Humphry Bogart. Barrymore's character is pathetically cardboard and he leaves it at that. The film belongs to Trevor, Robinson and the hurricane.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:48 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,712,133 times
"Behind Enemy Lines" starring Gene Hackman and Owen Wilson. Always brings a smile to my face at the end when our marines rescue our guy.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:52 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,358,164 times
Just twice watched Hit So Hard: The Life & Near Death Story of Patty Schemel, the fascinating documentary focusing on the band Hole's drummer, Patty Schemel. Most of the vintage footage was taken by Patty in the 90s, documenting the band's 1st major tour after the death of lead singer, Courtney Love's husband, Kurt Cobain & bass player, Kristen Pfaff. That footage is minor & interspersed with footage from 2004 & beyond interviews with 1/2-dozen people in & 'with' the band or who were contemporaries of the band.

It's a wonderful visual document of one corner of the grunge era. Interestingly, it's not mainly Patty's footage, but equally, latter-year commentary from previous band members, female friends/drummers from other bands, members of bands who toured with Hole & those who were there, upfront & personal, in some working capacity. This is important, as it's not someone on the periphery just documenting their experiences & preconcieved notions of what kind of, sort of, probably happened based on inuendo & rumor. Interestingly enough, that fact is evident based on matching stories from multiple people regarding the same events. Only a couple of Courtney's tales deviate a touch... natural for anyone who has followed Ms. Love through the years... although she clearly admits to having been so drug-addled in the years which followed this era, she may not be remembering properly. Fair enough.

If you dislike Courtney, Hole, grunge or young 20s aged musicians & their excesses, skip it. I was a very young girl working in software in Seattle at the time, went to see live bands at night & was lucky enough to see some major grunge bands in tiny clubs before they made it big several months later & I was never to see them again. I'm not enamored with drug usage, addicts & all things in the meth/heroin realm, but it seems my musical collection relies heavily upon such artists... many who p***ed away their money, talent, futures & in some cases, lives. It's not just this decade which was filled with such stories, before or since.

This is not a depressing documentary, as Patty's humor in retelling her ordeals refuses to let it be so. It's also not a p*** & moan session, by anyone. All participants seem to accept the fringe deficits & sacrifices as part of the deal if wanting to make it in this nasty music business, particularly this genre, particularly if female, particularly at that time. It's also pre-Courtney's recent decade+ of legal, health & behavioral problems, heavily documented via media. Lastly, for the curious, included is some very sweet & slightly uncomfortably revealing footage of Kurt, Courtney & their daughter, Frances mere months before his death. It really leaves one surprised that he could have committed suicide, as the coroner deemed, but there are other documentaries, which some may call conspiracy, which cover those issues if one cares to ferret them out. I don't believe his wife was involved in any way in his death... but, he did leave himself vulnerable in a Brian Jones kind of way with others. In fact, if one dislikes Courtney, this film footage might change your mind as to her amazing devotion to her family, at least at that time.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to watch it... but, I did watch the 1967 Pennebaker documentary, Don't Look Back, about Bob Dylan, someone who was way before my time & whose music I was not familiar & ended up not really wanting to run out & buy his albums (sorry, not my cup of tea), but greatly admiring his contributions to music, particularly at the time he was up & coming. I like documentaries, even about people with whom I don't agree or even like, because I feel at least I tried to understand. I do love Hole's music, but have a better understanding & new-found sympathy for all involved after viewing this documentary... something I may not have had in the past.

Hit So Hard (2011) - IMDb

5* & then some... going to watch a 3rd time & I'll also purchase this on DVD.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,705,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

I loved that movie! I didn't see the scene after the credits though. What happened? I must know!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,036,703 times
Sherlock Holmes 2 and it was horrible. Fell asleep during it.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,846,249 times
Saw the Bourne Legacy yesterday. It was alright. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the rest of them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.