Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 07:22 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,978,282 times

Advertisements

After suffering through The Last Jedi, I am done with Star Wars until the producers, directors, and writers show up at my door with fine wine, red roses, and a personal apology plus those hours of my life back. The Last Jedi made my skin crawl.

I used to be a Star Wars guy.

People that take great franchises and produce vomitous sequels need to swing - and not on the dance floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 07:46 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,638,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That trend actually started in earnest with RotJ.

I don't object to filmmakers making kid-friendly movies. I do object when filmmakers pander to kids.

Even at eight years old, I would have much rather had a planet full of angry Wookiees than a moon filled with cuddly teddy bears.
It sure did. The funny legend back then was that "a Wookie army was beyond the film's budget, so we had to go with Ewoks."

Biggest load of sheep doo, ever. It cost the same, if not more. And the budget wasn't an issue. After two hit movies, they'd have backed up a second fleet of Brinks trucks to make ROTJ happen.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What do you mean by 'water world' scenes, which scenes where those?
Where Obi Wan went to the planet to find out about the clones. He met the skinny long-necked aliens making the clones and had his run-in with Jango Fett. Those scenes were all great. The rest of the movie needed a complete do-over.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:28 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
It sure did. The funny legend back then was that "a Wookie army was beyond the film's budget, so we had to go with Ewoks."

Biggest load of sheep doo, ever. It cost the same, if not more. And the budget wasn't an issue. After two hit movies, they'd have backed up a second fleet of Brinks trucks to make ROTJ happen.
It was never a budget issue.

The legend Lucas has built in his own mind: He always wanted a bunch of "primitives" to rise up and defeat the high-tech Empire. He had originally intended that to be Wookiees, but after two movies Chewbacca had evolved beyond the "primitive" he had originally envisioned, so he came up with Ewoks. (Take the --ee off of Wookiee, put it on the beginning, shorten the vowel, and you've got Ewok.)

The truth is that Lucas was adamant that he be able to control his own movies without big studio interference. But to do that, he had to be able to finance his movies without studio support. That meant making a lot of money to invest in the movies, along with the production company he was hoping to make the star of the movies (succeeded by the way), and the first two movies proved that the way to do that was merchandising --- posters, T-shirts, coloring books, novelizations, radio adaptations, and above all toys, toys, toys. The Ewoks were invented to sell toys.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:01 AM

Like I said, it was a "legend." It was something he spat out during an interview earlier on (who knows where is my guess), but nobody bought that bs. I heard that roughly 35 years ago, not in this decade.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:04 PM

11 posts, read 5,529 times
Quote:
That trend actually started in earnest with RotJ.

I don't object to filmmakers making kid-friendly movies. I do object when filmmakers pander to kids.

Even at eight years old, I would have much rather had a planet full of angry Wookiees than a moon filled with cuddly teddy bears.
You sure? So it really started with RotJ?

Old 09-27-2018, 04:36 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,084,722 times
Quote:
Where Obi Wan went to the planet to find out about the clones. He met the skinny long-necked aliens making the clones and had his run-in with Jango Fett. Those scenes were all great. The rest of the movie needed a complete do-over.
Oh okay. For me, the podrace sequence went on too long. Not the actual race per say, but just the plot surrounding it, as a lot of time is devoted to Aniken winning the race, so they can get money to continue the plot, but it seems there could have been a better way, or if this race must happen for the plot, why spend so much time on it, when they could just make a bet on the race, and then cut to the actual race, and then that's it. Plot point over and move on. But they spend a lot of time on it, unless I'm wrong?

Old 09-28-2018, 04:35 PM

8,446 posts, read 4,768,730 times
Quote:
Death by burp. Really?
Well to be fair it wasn't just death by burp. It was death by a burp followed by him finding a new definition of pain and suffering as he was slowly digested over a thousand years.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:35 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,912,647 times
Watched this tonight. I thought it was entertaining and well done.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Well to be fair it wasn't just death by burp. It was death by a burp followed by him finding a new definition of pain and suffering as he was slowly digested over a thousand years.
I'm almost certain it didn't take him that long to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies