Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 12:58 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,774,307 times

Advertisements

I thought this was very good commentary:

‘Solo’ Is Failing Because Disney Has No Vision for the ‘Star Wars’ Franchise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:00 PM

22,954 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup. This bit in particular is exactly why I think Kathleen Kennedy's days are numbered.

Quote:
There are other ways to damage a brand than just by making bad movies, or movies that don’t appeal on the surface to the audience you’re targeting. You can diminish a franchise just as easily by coasting on former glories instead of actually moving forward with new ideas.

That’s exactly what Disney has done since it bought Lucasfilm, and “Star Wars” with it, back in 2012. And it’s the reason why “Solo” is doing so poorly at the box office. The powers that be have failed to make people care about this iteration of the series. Disney has been doing this “Star Wars” thing all wrong, and “Solo” is the proof.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:48 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,638,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. This bit in particular is exactly why I think Kathleen Kennedy's days are numbered.
https://twitter.com/scottEweinberg/s...39762561847298

Old 06-02-2018, 07:55 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Yea they need to do more than just do generic origin type stories and fill them with CGI galore thinking audiences will automatically flock to it.

Just all so stale.

That's where comic book movies succeed, because their stand alone movies are made by people that actually do seem to care about the quality of their product.

I'm sure I'll still catch Solo eventually and like it, but definitely not a movie I am eager to see right away like the upcoming Jurassic Park sequel.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,421,085 times
Wife and I went to see Solo last night and were thoroughly entertained and thought it to be a great movie, we found it odd that we were the only people in the theatre, if thats as much interest as can be had by this movie i dont think we will see the obvious sequel coming anytime soon.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Kennedy indeed has a great resume. But something is not working in the STAR WARS universe. If that continues, it's only a matter of time before the Disney Masters will bring in someone who can fix it. The fact that a STAR WARS movie is barely going to turn a profit and already has mostly-empty theaters on its second weekend of release is a huge problem.

Quite honestly, I don't know that the misdirection is Kennedy's fault. From what Abrams, Lucas, and others have said, it seems that the direction of the new trilogy came almost entirely from Disney. Still, the problem is hers to fix. Or not.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Kennedy indeed has a great resume. But something is not working in the STAR WARS universe. If that continues, it's only a matter of time before the Disney Masters will bring in someone who can fix it. The fact that a STAR WARS movie is barely going to turn a profit and already has mostly-empty theaters on its second weekend of release is a huge problem.

Quite honestly, I don't know that the misdirection is Kennedy's fault. From what Abrams, Lucas, and others have said, it seems that the direction of the new trilogy came almost entirely from Disney. Still, the problem is hers to fix. Or not.
Maybe it's nobody's fault. Maybe everyone spent their money watching Infinity War multiple times, and Deadpool 2 twice, and decided to sit this one out.

But that still doesn't explain all the Star Wars diehards not queueing up. I don't think it's because of TLJ's mixed reception. Maybe the Han Solo origin movie everybody thought everybody wanted to see wasn't something everybody wanted to see right away. I saw it and it's solid entertainment, with some pretty epic visuals.

Of course, Disney won't see it that way. They're looking at a Justice League-sized — as in extensive reshoots driving the budget way, way up — money Maw (black hole). Except this movie isn't even doing Justice League numbers.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Maybe it's nobody's fault. Maybe everyone spent their money watching Infinity War multiple times, and Deadpool 2 twice, and decided to sit this one out.
Maybe. But if so, that's only more proof of a problem. A day when moviegoers would rather go see anything other than the latest SW flick was unthinkable twenty years ago.

Quote:
But that still doesn't explain all the Star Wars diehards not queueing up. I don't think it's because of TLJ's mixed reception.
I do think it's a major factor. Spillane said it years ago, "Your first chapter sells the book. Your last chapter sells your next book." TLJ took a dump on STAR WARS, and the fans responded by not showing up.

Quote:
Maybe the Han Solo origin movie everybody thought everybody wanted to see wasn't something everybody wanted to see right away. I saw it and it's solid entertainment, with some pretty epic visuals.
Ditto. I liked it. I didn't love it. But the last STAR WARS movie I genuinely loved was probably EMPIRE.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Maybe. But if so, that's only more proof of a problem. A day when moviegoers would rather go see anything other than the latest SW flick was unthinkable twenty years ago.
Think of how much less content there was floating around in '98, though. There was no Game of Thrones, The Expanse, Krypton, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, The Americans, The Magicians, House of Cards, Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist/The Defenders and the bazillion other streaming shows and flicks (like Bright) people are binging on Netflix and Hulu. Whether they "suck" or not is irrelevant. What's relevant is that they're all there. We even have a new Star Trek show we must subscribe to in order to watch it. Even subnetworks like TVLand are bringing out originals.

Quote:
I do think it's a major factor. Spillane said it years ago, "Your first chapter sells the book. Your last chapter sells your next book." TLJ took a dump on STAR WARS, and the fans responded by not showing up.
They still went and saw it. They just didn't go back umpteen times like they did with The Horse Aneiiiiighens!

Old 06-03-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Think of how much less content there was floating around in '98, though. There was no Game of Thrones, The Expanse, Krypton, Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, The Americans, The Magicians, House of Cards, Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist/The Defenders and the bazillion other streaming shows and flicks (like Bright) people are binging on Netflix and Hulu. Whether they "suck" or not is irrelevant. What's relevant is that they're all there. We even have a new Star Trek show we must subscribe to in order to watch it. Even subnetworks like TVLand are bringing out originals.
Yup. Which is why the "good enough" philosophy can no longer produce a hit. A STAR WARS movie can no longer be "good enough." It has to be the best movie released that year. If Lucasfilm continues to settle for "good enough," then they are going to continue to see diminishing returns.

The reason I didn't go to see SOLO again is pretty simple. It isn't just because there is a new episode of WESTWORLD on tonight or I'm still finishing up SNEAKY PETE. It's because Lucasfilm did not produce a movie that was worth seeing twice in the theater. I'll see SOLO again on DVD. The movie was not good enough to see twice in the theater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies