Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 05:54 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Rich Man, Poor Man isn't Star Wars. One is space opera (laser weapons firing, dogfights in space, bad dudes in black armor), the other ain't.

There's no reason a drama like Rich Man, Poor Man can't be written into the Star Wars universe. Rogue One was a decent war story written into the Star Wars universe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 06:02 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There's no reason a drama like Rich Man, Poor Man can't be written into the Star Wars universe. Rogue One was a decent war story written into the Star Wars universe.
Agreed. And remember that STAR WARS had at least one foot of its origin story in the old serials of the '40s and '50s. The story should go back to that. Maybe as an ongoing series. Maybe as a mini-series. Depends on the story they're telling.

But one thing I would like to see STAR WARS attempt: Something new. We don't need every character's origin story. I don't really care how Dengar got those bandages. I don't want to follow the Max Rebo band on tour. Sorry.

Stay true to the world. Stay true to the tone. (This is where the sequel trilogy firetrucked up.) But give us new characters in new stories.

And make it better than THE MANDALORIAN. Sorry. That show ain't bad. But it's thoroughly mediocre. It's a live-action cartoon.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,638,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Believe what you will, but Rogue One is still steeped in Star Wars lore and that's what sells it. It doesn't play like a docu-drama. They even managed to sneak in a lightsaber via Darth. I liked the movie a lot, but it could have and should have been darker than what we got. So much footage got reshot that what showed up in theaters was not exactly Edwards' cut.

You guys need to stop expecting literary bar-raising from the Star Wars universe. Harlan Ellison, Philip K. Dick, Robert Silverberg, Dan Simmons and Ray Bradbury are not writing the scripts.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Agreed. And remember that STAR WARS had at least one foot of its origin story in the old serials of the '40s and '50s. The story should go back to that. Maybe as an ongoing series. Maybe as a mini-series. Depends on the story they're telling.
You're aiming way too high, buddy.

Quote:
But one thing I would like to see STAR WARS attempt: Something new. We don't need every character's origin story. I don't really care how Dengar got those bandages. I don't want to follow the Max Rebo band on tour. Sorry.
Good luck. I stopped expected anything truly "new" from that franchise. At least we got a movie like Rogue One. I'd like to see Edwards' unadulterated cut, though.

Quote:
Stay true to the world. Stay true to the tone. (This is where the sequel trilogy firetrucked up.) But give us new characters in new stories.
The only way that's going to happen is: You won't know! You'll only recognize it when you see it, if you get my drift...

Quote:
And make it better than THE MANDALORIAN. Sorry. That show ain't bad. But it's thoroughly mediocre. It's a live-action cartoon.
That's what Star Wars essentially is, no? When I saw the end of the second (third?) episode with the "Mandalorians to the rescue!" climax, I laughed. I was done with it.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That's what Star Wars essentially is, no?
It may be what it has become. But that wasn't how it started.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:05 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,516,086 times
Quote:
Believe what you will, but Rogue One is still steeped in Star Wars lore and that's what sells it. It doesn't play like a docu-drama. They even managed to sneak in a lightsaber via Darth. I liked the movie a lot, but it could have and should have been darker than what we got. So much footage got reshot that what showed up in theaters was not exactly Edwards' cut.

You guys need to stop expecting literary bar-raising from the Star Wars universe. Harlan Ellison, Philip K. Dick, Robert Silverberg, Dan Simmons and Ray Bradbury are not writing the scripts.
Star Wars has always avoided being really dark because it would affect the ratings. Revenge of the Sith should have been a really dark and depressing film, yet it fails spectacularly at achieving it.

I'm of two minds about Rogue One. As a standalone, I think it's a great movie, but as part of the canon it doesn't fully deliver. The story told is ultimately rather pointless as all the characters are forgotten as soon as A New Hope's opening crawl kicks in.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:45 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Star Wars has always avoided being really dark because it would affect the ratings. Revenge of the Sith should have been a really dark and depressing film, yet it fails spectacularly at achieving it.

I'm of two minds about Rogue One. As a standalone, I think it's a great movie, but as part of the canon it doesn't fully deliver. The story told is ultimately rather pointless as all the characters are forgotten as soon as A New Hope's opening crawl kicks in.

It can be said of most war movies that "all the characters are forgotten." That's one of the points of war.

OTOH, you can't say that their actions were pointless, in that they discovered and transmitted the plans that led to the destruction of the Death Star.

Take as another example, a recent popular war movie. Because of the valiant effort of one solder, 2,000 troops were saved that day. But they're going to die the next day. Or the next week. Or the next month. And the soldier who saved them that day will be forgotten in history. Hell, he had been forgotten by all but one other soldier before that day was even over.

And that is generally the nature of a war story.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:56 AM

I loved ROGUE ONE. It remains one of the best STAR WARS movies.

That said, it isn't without its flaws. The main character is rather flat and undeveloped. I think the original cut of the movie may not have had this problem, since there were scenes in all the trailers that were not actually in the movie. and Saul Guerrera? C'mon. Could he have possibly chewed the scenery any more? He was more caricature than character. Colonel Kurtz meets Yosemite Sam.

But it's a surprisingly beautiful movie. The on location shoots of places we had never seen in a STAR WARS movie really helped that.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I loved ROGUE ONE. It remains one of the best STAR WARS movies.

That said, it isn't without its flaws. The main character is rather flat and undeveloped.
I regard Rogue One as an ensemble movie. Felicity Jones did fine. Jyn Erso may seem one-note, but she's not supposed to be a quip factory who fusses with her hair and dreams about dating. She's what she is because of tragedy and indifference.

In other words, she's a better version of Brie's Larson's Carol Danvers.

Quote:
I think the original cut of the movie may not have had this problem, since there were scenes in all the trailers that were not actually in the movie.
They also cut that cool line, "This is a rebellion...I rebel." You really have to wonder what's going on in the Disney boardroom.

There's enough footage for two radically different cuts to exist, so I read.

There's also this tidbit.

Quote:
In trailers and promotional footage, Jyn and Cassian are seen running through the Imperial base and on the beach on the planet Scarif, with Jyn carrying the data storage device holding the Death Star plans. Like many promo shots, such as Jyn standing in an Imperial hallway without her helmet, and a TIE Fighter rising in front of her on a catwalk at the top of the tower on Scarif, these scenes were not used in the final film, where the data storage device was only ever taken to the top of the tower. According to director Gareth Edwards, some shots were cut when the final act of the film was changed and their characters didn't survive at the end. Originally the transmission tower was located away from the base, requiring the Rebels to run along the beach towards it. Because this sequence was taking too long, it was decided to re-shoot it, with the tower now conveniently located in the same building. During an interview with the Director's Guild, Edwards also admitted that at the end of each shooting day, the cast and crew would frequently have fun with the sets and costumes at their disposal. They ended up shooting footage that looked cool, with no intention of ever using it in the finished movie. However, many of these shots looked so great that they ended up in trailers and promo pictures anyway.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748528...a?ref_=tt_ql_2

Old 08-27-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

That was at the behest of Gareth Edwards. Jyn Erso survives in the screenplay's first draft. He asked Kathleen Kennedy if he could change that so they all die, and to his surprise, she agreed.

Their sacrifice is what really sells the film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies