Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:32 PM

28,664 posts, read 18,771,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's perfectly evident that Lucasfilm wants STAR WARS to be for kids only. I am totally okay with a "kid friendly" STAR WARS. It should be kid friendly. But the Lucasfilm suits seem to have a seriously low estimation of kids' emotional intelligence.
And as I've said before, "It's for kids" is no longer an excuse after Pixar's examples.

"The Incredibles" in live action would have been a really dark story by the time it got to its critical point. So would have Toy Story 3. Those are some dark-azz stories.

But then, most fairy tales were pretty dark stories before Disney got hold of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 03:13 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Yup. I love it when filmmakers make movies for kids. The problem is that all too many of those filmmakers don't seem to understand kids.

Brad Bird is one of the notable exceptions.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:53 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,615,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I agree that Rogue One is the only recent SW movie that had me leaving the theater in a positive high emotional state. My feeling leaving Rogue One was: "Best. Star Wars. Movie. Ever." At least I would then--and still would now--put it among my top three.

Solo was so-so. As I've said before, they could have turned it into a six- or eight-part "evolution of a scoundrel" television mini-series that could have been much better.

They should have set out with the goal of telling the story of a good-hearted young man who is twisted by life experiences under an evil empire into a cold-hearted scoundrel. That his name was "Han Solo" should have been only incidental to crafting a good story about a good-hearted young man who is twisted by life experiences under an evil empire into a cold-hearted scoundrel.

And even if they'd ended that series on a down note--a nice guy turned by bad life experiences into a nasty and untrustworthy Han Solo, it would have been okay as a prequel because we already knew he'd turn out okay in the end. Having him still a basically nice guy at the end of this story was a mistake.
The movie's final image should have been Solo and Chewie sitting in a grimy cantina (not Mos Eisley, for there are many), with Han wearing a d-bag expression as the camera's reverse-pan reveals the low-life scenery, Clockwork Orange-style. Fade to black.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
And as I've said before, "It's for kids" is no longer an excuse after Pixar's examples.
All I know is if we get more movies that sneak in Prequel-esque shadings the way TLJ did, I'll be saving my money and waiting for them to show up on AMC.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
This was on Netflix recently.

Sorry but I just couldn't finish watching this movie. I just found it so boring and felt like I've seen it all before. The train sequence was interminable and pretty much zone out after that and stopped watching.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:07 AM

This is why I have said that Solo should have been a streaming miniseries.

They could have continued more fully along the lines of this deleted scene, although played less for laughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm4T5OMhFrM

Old 08-25-2020, 09:38 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Any future STAR WARS should be streaming miniseries. It allows for more depth of character and complexity of plot. The golden age of TV that we're enjoying has spoiled me for movies. Most movies these days seem shallow and short in comparison. I can count on one hand the number of truly outstanding movies I have seen in the past year. Come to think of it, I can count them on two fingers: KNIVES OUT and LITTLE WOMEN. Both masterpieces.

But STAR WARS ought to go back to its roots: Episodic serials.

Quote:
They could have continued more fully along the lines of this deleted scene, although played less for laughs.
Yup. Too many movies and TV shows just don't know how to write humor anymore. It's all snark. Just quips and sarcasm. It's as if all the screenwriters have caught Whedonitis.

You want to see humor done right? Watch KNIVES OUT. It's a thrilling murder mystery, but it is also hilarious. But the humor comes naturally out of the personality of the characters. They aren't trying to be funny with constant sarcasm and snarky comments. They just behave like themselves, which is sometimes hilarious.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Disagree. That scene's useless. One of the big mistakes in telling a story is trying to show everything. It's just not necessary.

What was it David Mamet said about writing scenes? Oh, yeah: "Arrive late, leave early." That formula works for exposition, too.

I rewatched Solo recently. It's not perfect, and the first 15-20 minutes are a slog, but overall it's a perfectly good romp, even if we could have gotten a much better Lando.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Disagree. That scene's useless. One of the big mistakes in telling a story is trying to show everything. It's just not necessary.

What was it David Mamet said about writing scenes? Oh, yeah: "Arrive late, leave early." That formula works for exposition, too.

I rewatched Solo recently. It's not perfect, and the first 15-20 minutes are a slog, but overall it's a perfectly good romp, even if we could have gotten a much better Lando.

I disagree with your disagreement.

One of the problems of Solo was its attempt to mash a character study with an action flick...and do both in less than two hours.

The miniseries format was custom-made what they were trying to do with Solo. Remember "Rich Man, Poor Man" from 1976, literally the second ever miniseries ever produced? It did much the same thing that Solo was trying to do, taking I think 12 hours to do so...and was an absolute hit.

Old 08-26-2020, 12:31 AM

Rich Man, Poor Man isn't Star Wars. One is space opera (laser weapons firing, dogfights in space, bad dudes in black armor), the other ain't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies