Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2018, 02:28 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,683 times

Advertisements

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I saw this last night... and I thought that the STORY and the WRITING were great. I also loved the NOSTALGIA and the blending in of elements from past Star Wars movies such as the use of the vulture droids, the use of the little mask around the mouth thing that Lando wore in RTJ, the didn't-see-that-coming Lando-like betrayal by Tobias Beckett and more. I also loved the CHARACTERS in this movie and thought that they were well written and fleshed out. And I even thought that Paul Bettany, who is best known as the always polite and kind-hearted Vision from the Avengers movies portrayed a threatening and dangerous villain in this movie. Plus, I thought that Ron Howard's DIRECTION was top notched and he did a fabulous job at creating the Star Wars universe with all the little creatures and aliens walking around, etc. Additionally, he got all the 'beats' down right that were in previous Star Wars films, and this movie looked like a complicated movie to make, but Howard rode it all the way through.(Also, Howard's work on this movie made me think of the phrase: "You're not getting older, you're getting better." )

But all in all, this movie was great, and it SHOULD be on it's way to making $400 or $500 million or more domestically instead of looking like it's only going to make half of that(i.e. half of $400 million). However, in the articles that I've read about this movie... everyone seems to be overlooking THE BIG HUGE AND GIGANTIC ELEPHANT THAT'S IN THE ROOM. Although, I noticed that posters in this thread haven't overlooked it. And that is that Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were EXTREMLY POOR CHOICES to play Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, respectively.

Because I was thinking about a scene from this season of Agents of SHEILD where a young Agent Sitwell was portrayed. Well, before his name was even mentioned, you'd have to have been blind not to have been able to see the resemblance between the younger actor and the older actor:

And even though Donald Glover may have had somewhat of a resemblance to Billy Dee Williams... no where in this universe could one actually say that Donald Glover is handsome... or that he has any type of charm or charisma.

And as far as Alden Ehrenreich is concerned... well, from the very first scene when Han was driving around the streets of Corellia(and just Alden Ehrenreich in general)...

I thought he looked more like a young version of a character played by Karl Urban(who is probably best known as Dr. McCoy in the new Star Trek movies) than he did a young version of a character played by Harrison Ford...

Therefore, in my opinion, the illusion was shattered that Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were portraying a young Han Solo and young Lando Calrission, and THIS IS THE THING THAT IS ACTUALLY CRIPPLING THIS MOVIE AT THE BOX OFFICE! And not all the other things that people have been mentioning.(Also, Ralph, I now agree with you that if the Star Wars movies are made correctly, then they could come out more than just once a year or so.)

Also, I am wondering how such a DC/Warner Brotherseque-type move could have been made by TPB at Disney, and why no one at Disney could see that Ehrenreich and Glover were not right for this movie.

Last edited by William Taylor; 06-06-2018 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Replaced the first half half of the sentence in the second to last paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 02:40 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Solo is a decent movie, well worth watching. Most people who have seen it think so.

It's not a Skywalker Saga blockbuster. I think better marketing can sell the idea that "Star Wars Stories" aren't intended to be in that category.

Or maybe "Star Wars Stories" should be kept to Disney's streaming service. If Netflix can succeed with streaming high-end productions, Disney can too.

But they do need to get away from the Skywalker characters.

They need to tie in with their animations, because that's what is creating the Next Gen of fans.

They need to stop grinding their ideological ax (one of Robert Heinlein's "Seven Deadly Sins of Writing").

And they need to put Dave Filoni in charge. Kennedy's problem is that she was never a fan. She has never respected Star Wars for what it is; they gave her the keys and she decided to renovate it to something she likes better. Filoni is a real fan, and he has the right vision.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,991,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Solo is a decent movie, well worth watching. Most people who have seen it think so.
Yeah, but then you have to ask the question: Why is such a decent movie so crippled at the box office domestically? And I don't know how wide it's been released internationally, but no one has even mentioned the internationally take of this movie, which so far doesn't look too good:

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) - Box Office Mojo

Quote:
It's not a Skywalker Saga blockbuster. I think better marketing can sell the idea that "Star Wars Stories" aren't intended to be in that category.

Or maybe "Star Wars Stories" should be kept to Disney's streaming service. If Netflix can succeed with streaming high-end productions, Disney can too.
I disagree since so far, up to this point with Rogue One, the "Star Wars Stories" have been in the blockbuster category.

Quote:

They need to tie in with their animations, because that's what is creating the Next Gen of fans.

They need to stop grinding their ideological ax (one of Robert Heinlein's "Seven Deadly Sins of Writing").
I disagree because I at least think that they should start off with Skywalker characters like they did with the successful Rogue One. Also, I think that it would be to Disney's benefit and to the fan's benefit, if they came out with an actual young Luke Skywalker series of movies.

Also, Ralph, how big is the actual Next Gen audience? Are they equivalent to current comic book fans? Because from what I know, the comic book movies aren't really being made for the core comic book fans, but are actually made for the public. Also, I don't know anything about the current animations and so forth... and I know about as much about the current animations as I know about the current comic books. And which is zero... nothing.

Quote:
And they need to put Dave Filoni in charge. Kennedy's problem is that she was never a fan. She has never respected Star Wars for what it is; they gave her the keys and she decided to renovate it to something she likes better. Filoni is a real fan, and he has the right vision.
I don't know anything about that, therefore, I couldn't give you a proper response to that.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:33 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,903,298 times
Quote:

"Decent movie, worth watching" is below the standards that most long-time Star Wars fans expect. I wouldn't say most people even thought that was a decent movie worth watching given the reviews. I did find it "decent," but nothing special.

Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,903,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
SPOILERS AHEAD!

I saw this last night... and I thought that the STORY and the WRITING were great. I also loved the NOSTALGIA and the blending in of elements from past Star Wars movies such as the use of the vulture droids, the use of the little mask around the mouth thing that Lando wore in RTJ, the didn't-see-that-coming Lando-like betrayal by Tobias Beckett and more. I also loved the CHARACTERS in this movie and thought that they were well written and fleshed out. And I even thought that Paul Bettany, who is best known as the always polite and kind-hearted Vision from the Avengers movies portrayed a threatening and dangerous villain in this movie. Plus, I thought that Ron Howard's DIRECTION was top notched and he did a fabulous job at creating the Star Wars universe with all the little creatures and aliens walking around, etc. Additionally, he got all the 'beats' down right that were in previous Star Wars films, and this movie looked like a complicated movie to make, but Howard rode it all the way through.(Also, Howard's work on this movie made me think of the phrase: "You're not getting older, you're getting better." )

But all in all, this movie was great, and it SHOULD be on it's way to making $400 or $500 million or more domestically instead of looking like it's only going to make half of that(i.e. half of $400 million). However, in the articles that I've read about this movie... everyone seems to be overlooking THE BIG HUGE AND GIGANTIC ELEPHANT THAT'S IN THE ROOM. Although, I noticed that posters in this thread haven't overlooked it. And that is that Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were EXTREMLY POOR CHOICES to play Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, respectively.

Because I was thinking about a scene from this season of Agents of SHEILD where a young Agent Sitwell was portrayed. Well, before his name was even mentioned, you'd have to have been blind not to have been able to see the resemblance between the younger actor and the older actor:

And even though Donald Glover may have had somewhat of a resemblance to Billy Dee Williams... no where in this universe could one actually say that Donald Glover is handsome... or that he has any type of charm or charisma.

And as far as Alden Ehrenreich is concerned... well, from the very first scene when Han was driving around the streets of Corellia(and just Alden Ehrenreich in general)...

I thought he looked more like a young version of a character played by Karl Urban(who is probably best known as Dr. McCoy in the new Star Trek movies) than he did a young version of a character played by Harrison Ford...

Therefore, in my opinion, the illusion was shattered that Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover were portraying a young Han Solo and young Lando Calrission, and THIS IS THE THING THAT IS ACTUALLY CRIPPLING THIS MOVIE AT THE BOX OFFICE! And not all the other things that people have been mentioning.(Also, Ralph, I now agree with you that if the Star Wars movies are made correctly, then they could come out more than just once a year or so.)

Also, I am wondering how such a DC/Warner Brotherseque-type move could have been made by TPB at Disney, and why no one at Disney could see that Ehrenreich and Glover were not right for this movie.
I think people have different gripes or opinions about the movie. For me, I really did not like the story at all. That is what did the film in for me. I think the writing, as far as character interaction, was pretty good. I like the interplay between Chewie and Solo, and thought that Emila Clarke and Woody Harelson were really good in their roles. I honestly didn't mind the castings for young Han Solo or Lando (Glover). I have heard some criticisms, but for me personally, I thought they did a pretty good job. I just felt no originality or emotional connection to the overall plot/story. I guess part of its lack of success is that there are many different aspects of the film that people didn't like.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:21 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,635,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
1) Huh?

2) See: The Last Jedi.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:24 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
"Decent movie, worth watching" is below the standards that most long-time Star Wars fans expect. I wouldn't say most people even thought that was a decent movie worth watching given the reviews. I did find it "decent," but nothing special.
As I said in the next two lines:

Old 06-06-2018, 05:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,635,211 times
I thought people were interested in non-Skywalker/lightsaber-swashbuckling-centric tales

I guess not.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:23 AM

22,943 posts, read 28,339,187 times
Quote:
Like it or not, this is the wave of the future, and we're already riding its first crests.

TV is where all the quality writing is these days. The movies are for spectacle. But if you want a great story, stay home and watch TV.

I'm not saying Lucasfilm should invest solely in STAR WARS TV shows. But if they genuinely want to develop a devoted fanbase, that's where to do it. The days of kids sitting around and waiting 3 years --- or even six months --- between movies is over.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,518,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I thought people were interested in non-Skywalker/lightsaber-swashbuckling-centric tales

I guess not.
Well.....yes. I’m personally not interested in a Star Wars movie lacking space magic, space wizards, and Lazer swords as a general rule. Granted you can leave the Skywalker Saga behind And head into the old republic era.

And Of course one could try to do a yuuzhan vong storyline but would have to be radically changed to work at all in a new starwars movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies