Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 04:36 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 380,431 times

Advertisements

Great review of this movie:
Warning language and spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bQbYmLAZ_k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 04:52 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza View Post
Great review of this movie:
Warning language and spoilers.
Actually, it's not. It is, however, a great display of a guy making himself sound clever while not actually being able to produce anything himself.

A little more than half the people who saw it liked it. I think if it had been released to the Internet like "Bright," a whole lot more people would have liked it.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:48 PM

10,576 posts, read 4,105,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"Kids movie" might be overstating it. I would say it a "kid-friendly" movie.

As long as toys and video games continue to be a primary source of Lucasfilm revenue, STAR WARS will always be kid-friendly. We'll never get an R-rated SW movie. And I'm fine with that. I'm not sure I want to see Wookiee wangs onscreen.
Too bad. While I don't care to see any sex scenes, I would think an R-Rated Star Wars film that would showcase hard core fighting and some more mature adult themes would be intriguing. The Boba-Fett movie that has been green lit could work as a hard PG-13 or medium R, kind of like how The Punisher, DareDevil, Logan and Kick Ass were.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:04 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,638,809 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I want to see Wookiee wangs onscreen.
Duuude. Please. This isn't a furry con.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Too bad. While I don't care to see any sex scenes, I would think an R-Rated Star Wars film that would showcase hard core fighting and some more mature adult themes would be intriguing. The Boba-Fett movie that has been green lit could work as a hard PG-13 or medium R, kind of like how The Punisher, DareDevil, Logan and Kick Ass were.
I'm not interested in an R-Rated Star Wars film, but Solo was more Mr Rogers than some episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:14 AM

22,954 posts, read 28,358,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'm not interested in an R-Rated Star Wars film, but Solo was more Mr Rogers than some episodes of Clone Wars and Rebels.
It was.

For the movies, I don't know that an R-rated STAR WARS movie would ever fly.

On TV? I dunno. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the "underworld" show that has supposedly been in development for 10+ years to have a tone and maturity closer to something like JUSTIFIED or BREAKING BAD. And I don't mean simply upping the violence, but having a more mature and less cartoony take on character relationships and plot.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
It was.

For the movies, I don't know that an R-rated STAR WARS movie would ever fly.

On TV? I dunno. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the "underworld" show that has supposedly been in development for 10+ years to have a tone and maturity closer to something like JUSTIFIED or BREAKING BAD. And I don't mean simply upping the violence, but having a more mature and less cartoony take on character relationships and plot.
I remember one Clone Wars scene where Anakin skewers an Imperial officer from behind. What we see is the light saber coming out through the officer's chest. Left me thinking, "Well, that wasn't for kids."

There was another scene where the antagonist is holding Obi Wan's love interest (who Darth Maul later slaughters) hostage at gunpoint. Again, Anakin comes up from behind and skewers him.

This is laying down some groundwork for what Anakin is becoming, and it's not the usual kids' entertainment fair.

But, yes, Solo would have been better if it had been handled more maturely.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I remember one Clone Wars scene where Anakin skewers an Imperial officer from behind. What we see is the light saber coming out through the officer's chest. Left me thinking, "Well, that wasn't for kids."

There was another scene where the antagonist is holding Obi Wan's love interest (who Darth Maul later slaughters) hostage at gunpoint. Again, Anakin comes up from behind and skewers him.

This is laying down some groundwork for what Anakin is becoming, and it's not the usual kids' entertainment fair.
I don't know. It depends on what you mean by "for kids." Four and five year olds? Yeah.

But as a parent and former kid myself, I think kids can handle A LOT more than most adults think they can. Go back and read the original Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Even the first STAR WARS movie --- dismissed as "a kids movie" by the critical elite of 1977 --- had creepy Jawas, a hero chopping off a guy's arm in a bar (with severed bloody arm clearly shown), and another of our heroes shooting a guy under the table. EMPIRE had more severed limbs, lots more death, and our hero discovering that his long lost daddy was actually the darkest villain in the galaxy. That's some dark stuff "for kids."

But with JEDI, the franchise did start trending to the more outright cartoonish. And not just with the Ewoks. Even the whole Jabba the Hutt plotline was very Saturday morning cartoonish.

But don't underestimate a good cartoon either. Check out AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER. Very cartoony at times, yes. But also really dark and very moving at times. The "Tales of Ba Sing Se" episode had me tearing up.

My point: Don't underestimate what kids can take. They are little humans too, and they need to learn about things like pain and loss and death and sacrifice and friendship and heroism. Don't talk down to kids. Lift them up.

Last edited by Mark S.; 05-31-2018 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I don't know. It depends on what you mean by "for kids." Four and five year olds? Yeah.

But as a parent and former kid myself, I think kids can handle A LOT more than most adults think they can.
I'm talking about in terms of media practices. Remember that A New Hope debuted before the PG-13 rating was created.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I'm talking about in terms of media practices. Remember that A New Hope debuted before the PG-13 rating was created.
Yeah, I know. But I still think the shallow and rather cartoony tone of STAR WARS movies over the past 20 years is a disservice not only to STAR WARS, but to kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies