Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 7,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
Greetings everyone! There is a chance, and I stress.. a chance.. of a significant winter storm that may affect parts of the upper midwest, the last week of the month along with some unseasonably cold temperatures. The newest computer model runs paints a scenario very reminiscent of the Halloween blizzard of 1991.. remember that? Now this far out, the model data can change and likely will. I give this about a 30% chance that the winter storm that this computer model run is indicating will actually come to pass. That means a 70% chance that it won't.

What I am confident of, is that Minnesota will experience moderately to strongly below normal temperatures from roughly Oct. 25-31 and possibly into the first part of November. I think it's reasonable to believe that with an active storm track expected, coupled with temperatures more like late November than late October expected, its safe to presume that at least some snow and/or ice is a definite possibility before month's end.
Just how much, who knows.. but if today's data verifies, this will rival the Halloween blizzard of '91. My guess it will not, but as I said, it's best you start monitoring future weather reports starting next week.

Please tell me you are joking! I have to be traveling that weekend and any sort of storm coming would ruin everything.

Rival the blizzard of 91? What data are you looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 09:46 PM

5 posts, read 7,686 times
Default OK then

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
A sneak peak to what I think the winter on the whole could be like.
What are you basing any of this on and where do you live?

I have not heard any of this and I also follow weather closedly.

Sorry to be skeptical, but being a "weather fan" does not qualify you to forecast weather and scare the bejeebers out of people.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellinaya View Post

Sorry to be skeptical, but being a "weather fan" does not qualify you to forecast weather and scare the bejeebers out of people.
Hahahaha scared of.... snow???

Where are YOU from....?

Old 10-18-2013, 09:42 AM

653 posts, read 1,786,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellinaya View Post

Shellinaya, sorry to scare the bejeebers out of you. For a couple of days, the model data was indicating a pretty intense storm system to affect parts of MN. Since then, it has backed off entirely on that impending scenario.. if you read the whole post, you read that I gave that about a 30% chance of that happening, but the possibility was there enough to mention. Now I give it less than a 10% chance. What I do expect will happen will be some abnormally cold weather with some periods of light snow/flurries starting about Tuesday of next week and continuing on and off thru the following week at least.. newest data suggest the period around Halloween into the first few days of November may see some night time lows in the upper teens and highs in the 30's. Not unheard of, but pretty chilly none the less. I think the weekend in question, you'll have no problem traveling, but won't have to worry about sunburn and mosquitoes biting.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Now that we are closer to this, how are things shaping up? Other weather sites are starting to rumble about the possibility of a major weather event at the end of the week too.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Now that we are closer to this, how are things shaping up? Other weather sites are starting to rumble about the possibility of a major weather event at the end of the week too.
In Minnesota a "major weather event" generally begins with the weather terrorists bringing up the Halloween Blizzard of ""Ought-Ninety-One" and goes up from there. So yes, a "major weather event" is highly likely next week.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 AM

current projections appear to have backed off from many of the more sensationalized reports from a day or two ago, was half hoping to hit at least the mid -30s here in Chisago Co but it seems we will be well short of that at this point

Old 01-05-2014, 08:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
current projections appear to have backed off from many of the more sensationalized reports from a day or two ago, was half hoping to hit at least the mid -30s here in Chisago Co but it seems we will be well short of that at this point
I'm still seeing -50 range for wind chills on weather reports for tomorrow---which is about -70 on the old charts.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I'm still seeing -50 range for wind chills on weather reports for tomorrow---which is about -70 on the old charts.
I was talking air temps, I've always thought windchill was a tad bit overstated as it really has no bearing on how cold something gets or whether or not the car starts in the morning

Old 01-06-2014, 01:14 PM

256 posts, read 664,456 times
It's cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota