Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 01:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I slipped mine on, out of peer pressure!
I kind of expected some people to continue just out of habit but I do wonder if peer pressure is part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 01:48 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
The way I see it, it costs me absolutely nothing but a few small pieces in my weekly laundry to keep wearing a mask. If it makes someone else - particularly an employee - feel safer, then why not? I won't do it forever, but there's no harm in waiting until more people get a chance to get the vaccine. Keep in mind that it's not just antivaxxers who aren't fully vaccinated yet - a good number of people don't have time off through work and are worried about the down time from vaccine side effects. Those tend to be the most economically vulnerable.

I like the condom and pill analogy. And as someone who got pregnant while using both as intended, you can imagine why I don't rely on the "slim chance" happening to someone else!

Old 05-31-2021, 01:50 PM

16,417 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Probably the closest analogy I can think of.
Eventually most people find someone they're comfortable with, maybe get tested and they stop using a condom. No one uses a condom forever. When going out and about we are never going to know someone's covid status or if they've been vaccinated. It seems like that could mean wearing masks in public forever for some people.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:52 PM

Wow getting pregnant on the pill and using a condom...that could be seen as very bad luck or you're just a very fertile woman which many would envy.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:57 PM

23,598 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Eventually most people find someone they're comfortable with, maybe get tested and they stop using a condom. No one uses a condom forever. When going out and about we are never going to know someone's covid status or if they've been vaccinated. It seems like that could mean wearing masks in public forever for some people.
That's why some are in the spot where they will toss the masks around family and friends they know have been vaccinated, yet still wear it when in close proximity to strangers. While cases are way down, I don't think it's far fetched to say that we aren't fully out of the woods yet. We still have more cases than this time last year. There are very justifiable reasons to still take some precautions. When we arrive at a point where we are less than 4 new cases a day per million people like Israel, then maybe not.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Wow getting pregnant on the pill and using a condom...that could be seen as very bad luck or you're just a very fertile woman which many would envy.
Based on the number of guys who "she told me she was on the pill"..., it's not as rare a circumstance as you are making it out to be.

Remember that "unvaccinated people do not need to wear masks" is based on an honor system, just as the woman a guy meets on Tinder is (and claims to be on the pill).

Old 05-31-2021, 02:06 PM

I don't think I know anyone who ever got pregnant being on the pill and using a condom. I do know of people who got preggo on the pill but I wonder if they used it correct. It's easy to miss taking it.

Luckily there are things that work better than the pill like IUDs.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:12 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Hate to be the bearing of bad news, but if you are shifting tactics to using the mask to protect yourself, you really need to step up to an N95 mask. Those cloth or surgical masks really don’t do much to filter out particles other than large spittle.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Hate to be the bearing of bad news, but if you are shifting tactics to using the mask to protect yourself, you really need to step up to an N95 mask. Those cloth or surgical masks really don’t do much to filter out particles other than large spittle.
And goggles.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I don't think I know anyone who ever got pregnant being on the pill and using a condom. I do know of people who got preggo on the pill but I wonder if they used it correct. It's easy to miss taking it.

Luckily there are things that work better than the pill like IUDs.
With that said, Covid vaccines aren't as effective as the pill at preventing what they were intended to. Latest data I saw shows they reduce spread by 90%, and probably less with some of the newer variants. Suppose a healthy woman has a 30% chance of getting pregnant...with a comparable level of effectiveness she would still have a 3% chance with no other form of protection. How many fewer would take that chance? Probably a good number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts