Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2021, 06:33 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
So you're vegan?
Not quite, I still consume dairy. I should've said "dead" animal products, perhaps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 05:31 AM

199 posts, read 67,448 times
While MA provides better covid data compared to many others states, I still have a number of issues with it.

One issue, is that calculating the Case Fatality Rate (CFR) and Infection Fatality Rate (IFR) is made far more difficult as MA uses a two-week sliding window to report cases and deaths. This means that you cannot just download the "AgeLAst2Weeks" data from the daily dashboard and add up the numbers. Also MA changed age ranges part way through so more fiddling is needed. So, to get the numbers I added up all the data by age and then normalized the totals to match the actual total cases and deaths.

When calculating CFR and IFR I prefer to use "1 in" rather than an percentage as I find it much easier to visualize the impact.

This data is from the start of the pandemic so it is a mix of vaxed and unvaxed (MA does not provide any way of separating the vaxed/unvaxed data out by age). Therefore this data is almost all unvaxxed. The CDC says that the vaxed are about 10x less likely to die so if you are vaxed you can adjust the "1 in" accordingly.

I used the CDC estimate of 4.2 to calculate the IFR.

CFR:

Age......1 in
0-19.....8,081
20-29...1,534
30-39......741
40-49......295
50-59........99
60-69........27
70-79..........8
80+............2

IFR:

Age......1 in
0-19......33,940
20-29......6,444
30-39......3,111
40-49......1,237
50-59........414
60-69........115
70-79..........33
80+..............9

These IFR numbers are similar to other national and worldwide IFR numbers I have seen The only exception is the combined 60 and over which is much higher in MA. I believe this is due to early pandemic care home problems.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:16 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
How is she doing now? If I remember correctly, she got COVID again last fall but it was fairly mild, right?
She did get it a second time. Not badly fortunately.

She has long covid. Mental Fog, shortness of breath, heart palpitations. Getting the vaccine helped, but they are still there. She's partaking in a few long covid studies considering she is one of the first to get it in the country. She wears a heart monitor constantly.

Pretty much 18 months later she's still dealing with it. Perfectly healthy prior to it.

Old 09-24-2021, 10:45 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

She has long covid. Mental Fog, shortness of breath, heart palpitations. Getting the vaccine helped, but they are still there. She's partaking in a few long covid studies considering she is one of the first to get it in the country. She wears a heart monitor constantly.

Pretty much 18 months later she's still dealing with it. Perfectly healthy prior to it.
Jeez, sorry to hear that. I hope she can regain her former health, BostonMike.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Here’s one I see in my news feed for anti-fluoride peroxide boy:

Don’t inhale peroxide as a COVID-19 treatment. LOL

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.mia...254493532.html

Old 09-25-2021, 04:41 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Yeah I saw that too - the hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin set are now nebulizing hydrogen peroxide and inhaling it, also gargling with iodine - it's the Trump approach - blind faith in unproven drugs and ignorant internal application of crude chemical agents to try to disinfect themselves - Trump pushed these drugs first and was the original proponent of injecting disinfectants into the lungs - he led the way. And the ironic thing is, these are the same people who think vaccines are unsafe! I want to say I am shocked, but this has actually been an ongoing pattern of behavior, so nothing could really shock me with these people anymore, it's more like "Now what?".

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-25-2021 at 05:13 AM..

Old 09-25-2021, 05:46 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yeah I saw that too - the hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin set are now nebulizing hydrogen peroxide and inhaling it, also gargling with iodine - it's the Trump approach - blind faith in unproven drugs and ignorant internal application of crude chemical agents to try to disinfect themselves - Trump pushed these drugs first and was the original proponent of injecting disinfectants into the lungs - he led the way. And the ironic thing is, these are the same people who think vaccines are unsafe! I want to say I am shocked, but this has actually been an ongoing pattern of behavior, so nothing could really shock me with these people anymore, it's more like "Now what?".
It’s always a question of “more studies needed” when someone doesn’t like something that has been approved and “people are saying it works” for something that is being WAY off label. As hard as people try not to, most of our decisions are made first and rationalized later rather than the other way around.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:08 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Never heard of that one it sounds dumb. I have never even used hydrogen peroxide for mouth wash I only use Listerine. I have seen others use hydrogen peroxide for mouth wash.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:16 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,130 times
Globe headline: "Judge denies Massachusetts state police union’s attempt to block COVID-19 vaccine mandate".

"Suspending the deadline for Union members to obtain full vaccination would be against the public interest which the defendants are charged with protecting."

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...suit-rejected/

We're going to see more and more of this kind of thing--legal decisions on who can be required to be immunized, and what they can be excluded from if they refuse. Lawyers are going to make piles of money from this.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:22 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Does your mother-in-law have crippling muscle contractions and an inability to sleep? Those are some of the things my brother is experiencing (also has Long Covid). He can't sleep for more that two hours at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts