Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 05:09 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
what any time there is a sickness we are going to shut buisnesses down?
What concerns me is two things

1. Where is my vote in this? I mean we live in a "democracy" I am literally being imprisoned. Unable to get doctors appointments, unable to live my life. All because a select group of people *could* - die from a disease. That has never happened before and this illness just does not justify it.

2. These decisions are being led by pure irrational fear feelings stirred up by the MSM. The MSM controls this country now to our detriment.

Any honest assessment of what is going on is ignored. Yesterday I got a Move on e-mail trying to shut down the trump daily briefing. Why would they care about that? Because he might convince a few people to stop this insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 05:41 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
What concerns me is two things

1. Where is my vote in this? I mean we live in a "democracy" I am literally being imprisoned. Unable to get doctors appointments, unable to live my life. All because a select group of people *could* - die from a disease. That has never happened before and this illness just does not justify it.

2. These decisions are being led by pure irrational fear feelings stirred up by the MSM. The MSM controls this country now to our detriment.

Any honest assessment of what is going on is ignored. Yesterday I got a Move on e-mail trying to shut down the trump daily briefing. Why would they care about that? Because he might convince a few people to stop this insanity.
The United States is not a democracy and more importantly even if it was every individual vote is nullified by every other individual vote. If you like it or not house code standards are not something that's up to a debate. You can go into a restaurant now the wait staff vote on what the correct cooking temperature is for pork beef and fish.

This is never happened before? The 1918 pandemic of the Spanish Flu is very well known and we also had the Hong Kong flu back in 68 and we've gone through things such as Sars. This is not new.

As for a rational fear ask yourself this is the vast majority of Commerce can still be done online and what exactly is your detriment?

Most predictions that I'm reading are trying to argue that this is going to last for about 5 months. By the time we get past five months an early vaccine comes out. In addition there should be some herd immunity assuming that we refrain from going crazy.

It isn't a matter of that people could die of a disease. It's a huge liability if you're not protecting the health and Public Safety of people. In terms of litigation I would argue that human life is worth at least 7 to 9 million dollars. An outbreak in Academia if left untreated could easily add up to billions of dollars

Old 03-31-2020, 05:44 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
This is never happened before? The 1918 pandemic of the Spanish Flu is very well known and we also had the Hong Kong flu back in 68 and we've gone through things such as Sars. This is not new.
No one shut down the economy because of those so yes this is unprecedented.

Quote:
Most predictions that I'm reading are trying to argue that this is going to last for about 5 months. By the time we get past five months an early vaccine comes out. In addition there should be some herd immunity assuming that we refrain from going crazy.
The predictions are the problem. They are not coming true and yet this is not being pointed out. Fear and "predictions" are controlling us right now. Not logic and facts.

That is terrifying.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:26 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I know it sounds selfish and terrible but it does seem like it is older people and people with health issues being affected by this and shutting down everything to possibly save their lives seems a little much to me. Yesterday some nurse was ranting and raving on Facebook how angry she is that people are going out still. She’s like I’m married to a dr and my child has had cancer, this is really threatening our lives. I felt bad but made me wonder if she’d care that much if she and her husband didn’t work in healthcare and her child was completely healthy. There are many things in life that cause someone to have a crappy life and not someone else.

Why not just have the older unhealthy people stay home?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:05 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

That's June/July. Right now, things are locked down because the health care system is about to be saturated across the country.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:16 AM

10,022 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:

That’s what Florida is doing.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:33 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
It's not just older people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/30-p...s-20-44-2020-3

30% of confirmed cases are age 20-44 and 20% of those who are hospitalized fall into that same range.

It also seems that native American populations are extremely susceptible and may get hit hard...even younger patients
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...cid=spartanntp

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-31-2020 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-31-2020, 07:54 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It has already mutated 6 or 8 times. I don't really understand the mutation stuff but the tests show that the mutations have been benign.

The mutations are to be expected. The good news is each mutation doesn't change much from the original genetic material. That means a vaccine may be good for years.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...g-on-a-vaccine

The flu mutates quickly, which is why each year there's a new flu shot available every season.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:06 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
That’s what Florida is doing.
How so? Schools are closed through April, and the Governor signed a shelter-in-place order for four counties in South Florida. He's an idiot, in my opinion. I was down there when Massachusetts as a whole was reacting swiftly and DiSantis was turning a blind eye to the packed beaches and crowded bars and restaurants during spring break.

And now he signs a shelter in place for some counties but not the entire state. Viruses aren't contained by county lines. The president doesn't get that either. We needed a unified, coherent national response to this. The lack of that ensures we will be faced with wave after wave. Having states bid against each other and even the federal government for medical supplies during a national emergency is an absolute failure of leadership. What is this, a construction project?

To other posters who don't understand the magnitude of what is happening and question the need for social distancing and sheltering in place, our medical infrastructure is facing collapse. Hundreds of medical staff at Massachusetts hospitals have already tested positive. That number will grow exponentially. If 14% of those who test positive end up in the hospital for three weeks before being released or dying, we are filling an additional 100+ ICU beds every day and using more ventilators than we can spare. This will contribute to more deaths and affect the care others needing emergency treatment receive.

This all adds up to a very dire situation, and social distancing, staying home, and taking every responsible precaution possible are the sacrifices we have to make if we're going to come out the other side with our medical infrastructure intact.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:18 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
im Just already tired of the shaming. Lots of shaming going on. People who are staying in their house 24/7 seem to think they’re superior to those who are not. People complaining someone came to close to them when they were picking up their take out or out on their walk.

Anyone who can stay home in their own is privileged. Lots of people won’t have the privilege of staying inside all day with just their family. The wealthy jet setting people of the world were the ones who spread this really. Now they want everyone else to stay home. Too bad. It’s spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts