Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2020, 06:31 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Looks like RI is now a high risk state and requires quarantine
But Ma is not with almost 1000 new cases per week?. Too funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 06:37 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Our on-the-ground staff are still freaking out - especially res life staff.

But to see that some schools are only testing once when students arrive - or not at all - makes me want to vomit. I spend a lot of time looking at area colleges to see what is being planned and while some have really great plans in place, others seem to be going into it blind. I'm looking at you, BC.
Really?? The two schools I'm following (Tufts and Assumption) are both doing twice weekly testing of all students and staff. Tufts is having most of it's students back and erected "The Mods", a group of modular buildings where they will quarantine any positive cases. Assumption will have only half the students on campus and each will have their own bedroom.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
BU is doing some pretty innovative stuff with testing.

https://www.bu.edu/articles/2020/sci...-testing-plan/

Old 08-04-2020, 07:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Cambridge Superintendent and School Committee proposed the following this evening:
- 4-12 start completely remote
- k-3 have an “opt in” option for hybrid, but it’s really only k-1. 2-3 students would have to clear a lot of hurdles to quality, and then the in school plan for them seems less than optimal.
- even though the powers that be have had 5 months to plan how to execute remote learning successfully and the start was pushed back until Sep 16; 4-12 will only receive half days (afternoons) of remote instruction through Oct 5, when they will transition to 4.5 days a week.

All parties involved should really be ashamed of themselves. For a school system with the highest per student spending in the state, that is a disgrace. Administrators, government, and teachers all need to take a hard look in the mirror. This all needs to be approached with a positive, problem solving mindset. All we have heard from all of them is reasons education needs to be watered down more and more. It’s a disgrace.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:51 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I’m again curious what these decision makers think parents who have no choice but to go to work will do with their kids on the days they aren’t in school. I guess a lot of people will be looking for babysitters.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I’m again curious what these decision makers think parents who have no choice but to go to work will do with their kids on the days they aren’t in school. I guess a lot of people will be looking for babysitters.
Larger families might just have a parent stay home. Babysitters have to be vetted much more than before and that still means more potential exposure. I have a family friend that has maybe six or so grandkids across two daughters that she takes care of. Yeah that might be OK before school. Once school starts there's no way she has the time to educated that many. Her daughter should probably just quit her job.

I'm sorry but there's too many grandparents taking care of their kids and it isn't fair to either one given what's going on.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
But Ma is not with almost 1000 new cases per week?. Too funny.
Rhode Island is 1 million people. Massachusetts is almost 7 million. It’s all in the charts. It’s lower than the world. We’re last meaning we’re first. We have the best.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:53 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Larger families might just have a parent stay home. Babysitters have to be vetted much more than before and that still means more potential exposure. I have a family friend that has maybe six or so grandkids across two daughters that she takes care of. Yeah that might be OK before school. Once school starts there's no way she has the time to educated that many. Her daughter should probably just quit her job.

I'm sorry but there's too many grandparents taking care of their kids and it isn't fair to either one given what's going on.
Wasn't ther a study posted a couple dozen pages ago that showed specifically that kids are bringing it home to their household and spreading it?

One of my employees is a grandparent who will need to watch her grandchild during the upcoming school year which for them is hybrid (so far). She's already engaged me a couple months ago to discuss upcoming fall work schedule. She will continue to work from home, and will make up time in the evening or even weekends to get various tasks done.

My parents watch my sister's kids quote often while they are at work.

If we go hybrid with our kids, i'll likely need to take lead on schooling which means I won't be able to work much during the day. I'll have to make up for it in the evenings. I've already spoken with my boss about that potential and am working out a plan and making prep for both work and home life.

The writing is on the wall. Now is the time to figure this stuff out, start making arrangements and have discussions at work over impact. Some people are going to have an easier time than others. I get it, but what can we really do that accommodates everyone? Some are going to be hurt more than others. All we can do is adapt.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:57 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Rhode Island is 1 million people. Massachusetts is almost 7 million. It’s all in the charts. It’s lower than the world. We’re last meaning we’re first. We have the best.

"It is what it is"

Old 08-05-2020, 07:07 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

I'm genuinely curious (and perhaps naive) about this. What happened to all the parents out there that there's so many grandparents who are now instead raising what I assume are their grandchildren? Or is "grandparents taking care of their kids" mean adult children (also equally strange to me)? Are multigenerational households abundant in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts