Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 01:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

Children are the future right ? Seems like some folks without kids are getting joy out of seeing parents struggle. Lots of hmm well you shouldn’t have had kids comments. These are the same
Folks who would balk at anyone telling poor people to not have kids though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 01:59 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
That’s good to know. Thanks! Our town does have a preschool through the elementary but it’s only 9 to 11. We were looking at other options because we needed more than that but now I guess I’ll take what we can get.
Completely understand--we never did preschool through our town's program for the same reason. We went to the JCC in Hingham and I LOVED the teachers there. Not sure if they'll be open in the fall, but can't recommend it enough.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:59 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My point is that it's very possible we've had a significant number of cases run through the area in Feb/Mar/April and didn't even know it (because we couldn't detect).
I think so too, which is why I am looking forward to widespread antibody testing. I'm sure we missed a lot early.

However, a lot of our mortality rate can be attributed to assisted living facilities which I think makes up some 40% of the death toll in MA (correct me if I'm wrong). NY, NJ, CT, etc. had similar experiences where the virus decimated nursing homes and other care facilities with vulnerable residents. For all of the things you can knock some of the current hot spots for, they've done a fairly decent job (better than we did initially) of ensuring that the residents of long term care facilities are essentially sealed off from the world.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Children are the future right ? Seems like some folks without kids are getting joy out of seeing parents struggle. Lots of hmm well you shouldn’t have had kids comments. These are the same
The only time that was said was in direct response to your raging on teachers for being hesitant to go back to work and your saying "they should have thought about that before becoming teachers", which was completely outlandish.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:04 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? There hasn't been a single comment along these lines. Are you carrying over arguments from other social media?

For what it's worth, I also have a first-grader, and I'm just as concerned as you about the upcoming year. But I'm also trying to keep the larger picture in view.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:12 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Full distance would be a complete PITA. I also have kids who constantly need to be entertained
My SO is back to once-a-week in the office and we have a preschooler. Our daycare is still closed. On that day, I'm a full-time single parent who's also WFH.

It is what it is. We manage and get ready for the next challenge. If it ticks up to 2x-3x a week with no daycare, I'll still find a way.

Charlie isn't going to open my daycare up for me just because I would like some relief. That's not how life works.

Old 07-21-2020, 03:43 PM

Well in the end yes what will be will be. But i don’t think the fair to show such contempt for parents who hopes school is open in some form in the fall.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:19 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Lets face it, if the public schools try remote learning the kids aren't going to learn squat. May as well not even bother and just shut it down.

It'll burn itself out long before there's a vaccine. That's basically what happened here. Latest I saw was that a vaccine was looking more like the Fall of next year.
Are you sure?

Old 07-21-2020, 06:28 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Well in the end yes what will be will be. But i don’t think the fair to show such contempt for parents who hopes school is open in some form in the fall.
Who has shown contempt for parents? What are you talking about? I feel like I must have missed some posts. I have seen you show some contempt towards teachers and non-parents though.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:48 PM

I just think it’s ridiculous that everyone is so open ears when the teachers whine but nurses and cops wouldn’t get the same pity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts