Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 11:38 AM

12,868 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Baker's apparently anticipating quicker testing turnaround times in the coming weeks: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/...-test-results/

The vast majority of the tests in Massachusetts are turned around in 24 to 48 hours,” Baker said. “We’ve been in many conversations with some of the larger national platforms about test turnaround time. And I do believe within the next several weeks we should see some improvements with respect to their turnaround times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 12:03 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Sacrifice? You act like getting it isn't a 20% chance of complications or death but a 100% one. Endanger is a more appropriate word, but I've also figured out by now you're rather partial to emotionally-fueled hyperbole.

Aaah. So landing 20% of teachers who catch it in the hospital is hyperbole.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So landing 20% of teachers who catch it in the hospital is hyperbole.
Yes

Old 07-22-2020, 12:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
So people didn’t think of school as free daycare before all this happened ? Why all of a sudden now are people being accused of using school as daycare lol. Schools been around for centuries. Parents have always depended on it.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:13 PM

Imagine what the poorer less educated areas of MA will be like if school is completely remote in the fall. It won’t be pretty.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:35 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Yeah, but you aren't trying to rationalize sacrificing public school teachers so you can use the school system as daycare.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:21 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Yes
WHO claimed as much at one point: "1 in 5 infected with SARS-CoV-2 will end up hospitalized". This was pulled from a late May report, which I suspect includes very high hospitalization rates in areas like northern Italy and Iran.

This said, the CDC is claiming hospitalization rates are below 1%. Given that IFR rates from reliable sources are higher than the CDC's hospitalization rates, I'm inclined to say the data is "incomplete" ... very doubtful that hospitalizations are somehow lower than deaths.

Assuming any of the CDC data has validity, the interesting take away is that there is a 30/30/40% hospitalization split by age demographic meaning that while the 65+ crown is ending up hospitalized at higher rates (10% to exact), the 18-65 crowd accounts for 60% of hospitalized patients.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:36 PM

It’s ignorant to say parents are using schools as daycare. Obviously we will all have to make due but yes when parents had their kids I’m pretty sure most of them though and yep someday they’ll go to school. Some parents use free public schools, some pay 50k a year for kindergarten. Either way school has been a thing for a while now. Absolutely absurd to start accusing parents of using it as daycare. I’m sure parents didn’t imagine themselves on zoom calls with kids asking for things in the background. Or just having their kids home 24/7 in general. Anyhoo it sounds like school will be back in the fall in the classroom.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:40 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
WHO claimed as much at one point: "1 in 5 infected with SARS-CoV-2 will end up hospitalized". This was pulled from a late May report, which I suspect includes very high hospitalization rates in areas like northern Italy and Iran.

This said, the CDC is claiming hospitalization rates are below 1%. Given that IFR rates from reliable sources are higher than the CDC's hospitalization rates, I'm inclined to say the data is "incomplete" ... very doubtful that hospitalizations are somehow lower than deaths.

Assuming any of the CDC data has validity, the interesting take away is that there is a 30/30/40% hospitalization split by age demographic meaning that while the 65+ crown is ending up hospitalized at higher rates (10% to exact), the 18-65 crowd accounts for 60% of hospitalized patients.

I used last week's CDC data on the previous page. Without doing the calculation, 60% looks close enough.

Quote:
The COVID-19 age profile for hospitalization looks nothing like that. According to the CDC, there were 37,052 hospitalizations the week of July 11. 15,506 were age 65+. There is insufficient data but a big chunk of those under 65 are looking at lung damage and chronic problems for the rest of their lives.

The average age of teachers in Massachusetts is over 40. I see 42.4 using 2011 data with the median a bit lower. There are a lot of older teachers. I imagine there are an awful lot of teachers with the usual list of preexisting conditions that make them higher risk. Among other things, I don't see how this makes it past the unions.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Sacrifice? You act like getting it isn't a 20% chance of complications or death but a 100% one. Endanger is a more appropriate word, but I've also figured out by now you're rather partial to emotionally-fueled hyperbole.

Nobody's excited about the options, but there's a very real and very big problem coming in September: what to do with all the school-aged children when their parents can't be around full-time because they're also being "sacrificed" to return to work. Here's the general options:

1. School is entirely remote. Problem: by September there will be a significant (and likely majority) of the population who is required to return to an office or other not-home place of employment. If you count people doing partial returns (1-3 days per week, 2 week rotations, etc) that number is probably around 80-90%. Some of those people are risking reduced pay or termination for not going in, so they're now forced to choose between staying home to be a "daycare" or leave their kids at home unattended. Don't even suggest babysitters, because there's not going to be even remotely enough to go around. There will have to be somewhere where numbers of children can be left together with adult supervision.

2. School is entirely on-site. This solves the "daycare" problem but creates your emotional "sacrifice" problem. Been beaten to death already, so leave this one there.

3. Hybrid of 1 and 2. Problem: how to coordinate which days kids go and make it work with which days parents go to an office to work? I can't get 8 people to line up for 1 hour a week; I can't imagine getting 30 kids' 1-3 days per week that will work for everyone.

Regarding option 1, I can tell you right now that suggesting that employers should be required/mandated by government to accommodate parents of schoolkids by letting them work from home and continue to be a quarter as productive as a result is a non-starter. Will. Not. Happen. I already know for a fact several employers have told parents who are WFH right now that when the office reopens, their only recourse is FMLA leave. That's a finite, and in many cases, reduced compensation that buys those parents maybe a few months more -- at best. Then they're also out a job, but hey, at least they'll be home with their kids while they take remote classes...at least until they can't pay the cable bill anymore and that shuts off.

Bottom line: everybody is going to be taking a hit for the team. This isn't just about sh*tting on teachers; they just happen to be the unfortunate lynchpin in the machine during this pandemic.
Stop it with your ridiculous hyperbole. Millions of people will still be working at home, even in September, and far beyond. You're really not getting the employment trends of the past few years, sped up by COVID this year. Sacrifice yourself first before you throw teachers on the funeral pyre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts