Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2020, 05:20 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcv...state/33397187
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 06:49 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Stop it with your ridiculous hyperbole. Millions of people will still be working at home, even in September, and far beyond. You're really not getting the employment trends of the past few years, sped up by COVID this year. Sacrifice yourself first before you throw teachers on the funeral pyre.
Millions more won’t. Grocery, medical, mechanics, plumbers, construction, sanitation and other “essential” services, fire, police, and others don’t have kids? People with jobs that require them to be in an office to do their job don’t have kids?

If you think everyone that works white collar jobs can work from home permanently you’re the one with the ridiculous hyperbole.

I’ve already been more than willing, and our office is already on mandatory 2 week office rotations. No complaints, no grudges. And I’m in tech, one of those easy to WFH sectors. There’s a lot of hope by people sick of soul crushing commutes that the promised land has arrived, but believe me (or don’t) when everything else continues to open and remote productivity starts to decline as the typical worker betrays their true work ethic and/or the need for more productivity pushes the issue, there will most certainly be some shifting back to office work.

I’m open to hearing a better realistic solution to the problem. All I hear is anger and unrealistic federal reform pipe dreams that will never happen. It’s like watching the GOP block everything while offering no real solution of their own. Why there’s so much anger over this baffles me, too. There needs to be more cool heads in the room and less of this frenzy reminiscent of a stampede out of a burning building.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:06 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
I'll say upfront that I'm lucky enough to be an empty nester. That said, I truly empathize with the sentiments expressed here by parents who are having to work from home while taking care of their kids who would otherwise be in school, maintaining a household under very trying conditions, and in general, just juggling and worrying about a lot more stuff. I'll admit I don't have a solution--sure we could offer childcare subsidies for example, but for many parents, childcare may not represent a safer alternative than a crowded classroom.

It's at times like this that I really start to favor the European "cradle to grave" system. Sure, you never get super rich or get to own a McMansion, but you're not worried about meeting basic needs during a crisis either.

Old 07-22-2020, 07:30 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post

That would be interesting if there isn't consistency across the state and each school/district does their own thing. Some full time in school, some hybrid, and maybe a few full remote.

I had two 1st graders in two different school systems last year and the difference in structure was tough to keep track of. As of right now, one is hybrid part-time, and the other is full-time in class for 2nd grade.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:47 PM

17,742 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You've made it very clear that your kids are driving you up the wall. You've also said that you find it very difficult to work from home with your kids around. Nobody is pulling this stuff out of thin air.
Quote:
Do you have young kids while you’re trying to work from home ?

I absolutely understand why some parents want school to open. And if schools close you can bet your butt that any company who wanted employees back in the fall won’t be getting them. If schools are closed then offices should be too.
I don't have kids. Bridge, everybody has been inconvenienced by this damn virus. Some much worse than others. You share a lot about your life on here, and I must say you seem pretty fortunate in that your biggest problem is your kids are making you crazy. Many people have lost their jobs and can't pay their bills. Lots of people are very sick. Lots of people have died.

I realize you're frustrated. I understand that. But it could be so much worse. Be thankful you're healthy and not struggling financially.

And, seriously, school is not safe. It seems the main reason schools are planning to reopen is because Trump threatened to cut off funding to states that don't reopen schools. He's apparently under the impression that he won't be reelected if schools are closed.

If I had kids, they wouldn't be going back to school any time soon.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:46 PM

I just wish a decision would be made.

And I guess I am not worried about my kids getting corona. I don’t want them to get it, I hate when they get a cold but I just don’t see how we can go on being afraid of getting this. This isn’t going to end. Even if a vaccine comes out it won’t necessarily prevent people from getting this! People get flu shots and still get the flu. It will take years to eradicate this with a vaccine. And what about the anti Vaxers? They put measles back on the map. I am kind of not understanding the parents who don’t want their kids in school. Do they not realize that there’s not going to be a safe time to put them back in? If a vaccine comes out in the fall of 2021 will they be staying home until then suddenly the vaccine will allow them to get over the fear of getting this?

Old 07-22-2020, 09:57 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
I just wish a decision would be made.

And I guess I am not worried about my kids getting corona. I don’t want them to get it, I hate when they get a cold but I just don’t see how we can go on being afraid of getting this. This isn’t going to end. Even if a vaccine comes out it won’t necessarily prevent people from getting this! People get flu shots and still get the flu. It will take years to eradicate this with a vaccine. And what about the anti Vaxers? They put measles back on the map. I am kind of not understanding the parents who don’t want their kids in school. Do they not realize that there’s not going to be a safe time to put them back in? If a vaccine comes out in the fall of 2021 will they be staying home until then suddenly the vaccine will allow them to get over the fear of getting this?
I totally get what you're saying. I wonder if we should collectively, as a society, just plan on the 20-21 school year being "cancelled". That would at least remove the uncertainty, the district-to-district inconsistency, and allow parents to seek alternative options. Right now, it's a total mess nationwide...with absolutely zero national leadership.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:06 PM

Well if school is cancelled the whole year but jobs are not then how does this really help parents. It would be good to know yes....but as far as seeking other alternatives here is what they would be:

1. A parent could quit their job and be down an income
2. Parent could try and find a nanny and pay them a salary.
3. Just keep kids home with them while trying work from home. If called back into office then see 1 and 2.

So really it’s not a great situation. The people least affected are the families who already had a parent not working. But even these parents weren’t prepared for some of this homeschooling.

I don’t want my kids to get sick with corona, I don’t want it either but I guess I don’t feel so worried that I want a full year of them not in school. And not just because it can be chaotic having them home all the time and trying to entertain them but I do think it could be mentally unhealthy to be home for a year. Can’t imagine what January and February would be like. At least now they can be outside.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:12 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Your asking questions that none of us are in a position to answer, and if we do, it’s going to be based on our life experience.

No matter what happens, you make the best of it. This whole situation is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime event. Nobody has all the answers and mistakes will be (or have been) made. Whatever decision is made is going to **** people off.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:09 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Your asking questions that none of us are in a position to answer, and if we do, it’s going to be based on our life experience.

No matter what happens, you make the best of it. This whole situation is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime event. Nobody has all the answers and mistakes will be (or have been) made. Whatever decision is made is going to **** people off.
Don't jinx it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts