Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 08:47 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I do wear a mask for the pickup (they often bring out the credit card bill for it). They are wearing masks. People can go in one at a time to pickup if need be.

This restaurant is also carrying bulk groceries for purchase. It's a real community jewel. I overtip of course.
There's a few restaurants/farms here doing the same thing. I can order steak tips for dinner, and also get a gallon of milk or eggs or ice cream too.

Some places have a better system in place than others. For example, I did a pickup at TreeHouse brewery. You wait in line and write your order number on a piece of paper. Show it through the window to an attendant, and then when you pull up, your order is waiting for you. They put it on the curb, and you load it up and drive off. No interaction needed, and everything done online.

Only once did I run into an issue with tipping. I ordered something online and no place to add a tip. Since most let you add a tip on delivery/pickup, I just assumed the same. Nope. They just hand you the goods and that's it. I felt bad as I have not had cash on me since Feb. I don't even know if anyone wants to take cash right now

Right now, the worst delivery service option I've been finding is through Amazon. I place an order (for something essential) and it takes 2-3 weeks to get delivered. I've actually gone over to Ebay to place orders for goods and get them within a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 08:48 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
My boss mentioned yesterday that google and Facebook and the big tech companies have announced that employees will be wfh until 2021. He doesn’t know how long we will be out for but said it will be a while.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:51 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
If you sneeze in mask the mask will not stop the sneeze. This video demonstrates you might not even be protecting others with the mask.
Did you read this?
Quote:
"A safety video is going viral shows how ineffective some can be"

Old 05-12-2020, 08:54 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My boss mentioned yesterday that google and Facebook and the big tech companies have announced that employees will be wfh until 2021. He doesn’t know how long we will be out for but said it will be a while.
IIRC, for those companies it's "Optional" that employees can stay home.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:55 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Wife brought up a funny comment about Daycares. If daycares reopen at the end of June, that will be 3+ months or so without the kids being there.

Parents of younger toddlers will know what I mean about the first few weeks of dropoff. When it's brand new to a child and they don't want to go, they tend to get clingy. Now imagine an entire daycare filled with young children who haven't been there in a while and various social distancing measures in place. That's gonna be a fun time.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:02 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did you read this?

Ya looks like the n95 is only effective. he used various masks and the spray went through except for the n95. In the video it says MOST are useless.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya looks like the n95 is only effective. he used various masks and the spray went through except for the n95.
But you claimed that 'masks are not effective' which would infer that none of them are. We have N95 masks which I find to be very uncomfortable, I think they must be child size because the bands that go around your head makes me feel like my head is going to explode, so for 'most' uses we wear masks that I make, they are tight weave cotton with a filter pocket. We use two pieces of blue shop towel for a filter. https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...testing-2020-4

When we are forced to go to a place that we view as potentially dangerous, like Walmart with people coughing and sneezing without even covering their mouth, we do wear the N95 but stores like Costco now require that all customers and staff wear masks so we usually wear the more comfortable homemade masks. If you or anyone else here needs instructions for how to make masks I would be glad to post a link to the patterns

Old 05-12-2020, 09:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
But you claimed that 'masks are not effective' which would infer that none of them are. We have N95 masks which I find to be very uncomfortable, I think they must be child size because the bands that go around your head makes me feel like my head is going to explode, so for 'most' uses we wear masks that I make, they are tight weave cotton with a filter pocket. We use two pieces of blue shop towel for a filter. https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...testing-2020-4

When we are forced to go to a place that we view as potentially dangerous, like Walmart with people coughing and sneezing without even covering their mouth, we do wear the N95 but stores like Costco now require that all customers and staff wear masks so we usually wear the more comfortable homemade masks. If you or anyone else here needs instructions for how to make masks I would be glad to post a link to the patterns

Ya i have a mask for the dog and pony show its a cloth mask that even slips down my face but at least its comfortable for me. If i sneeze in that mask the mask will not stop all droplets.

I like how the link gives breakdowns on particles stopped. the bandana stops less then 10 percent of particles.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-12-2020 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 09:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

This is ridiculous. Even a Casper the Friendly Ghost white sheet with eye cutouts will knock the transmission rate down. That, combined with hand hygiene and a bit of social distancing to keep people 6' away as much as possible is probably enough to cut the transmission rate below 1.0. I don't get the logic of "a mask isn't perfect, therefore, it's pointless for anyone to use them". The goal is to lower the transmission rate to end the pandemic. You're probably not going to be able to watch Chris Sale on the DL at Fenway or Jarrett Stidham throw interceptions at Gillette but most people should be able to go back to work.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:25 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
There's a few restaurants/farms here doing the same thing. I can order steak tips for dinner, and also get a gallon of milk or eggs or ice cream too.
Only once did I run into an issue with tipping. I ordered something online and no place to add a tip. Since most let you add a tip on delivery/pickup, I just assumed the same. Nope. They just hand you the goods and that's it. I felt bad as I have not had cash on me since Feb. I don't even know if anyone wants to take cash right now ...
I am so delighted with my local restaurants. I do usually carry a $20 with me for overtipping, even if putting the order on a credit card. I could have delivery to the door, but my pickups are my little outings for the day (with mask).

Even our little local food bank is distancing, PPE'd, working outside and taking numbers while people wait in the car.

But now the tourists and visitors are coming in, and no doubt there will be more person-to-person contact w without masks or without symptoms, etc. Can't stay in this bubble forever, that's what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts