Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2020, 04:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I guess I’m repetitive about this but if we as a society commit to taking the necessary steps to lower the transmission rate below 1.0, we can open most things back up. Masks. Hand hygiene. A bit of distancing. That’s probably enough for anyone not high risk. The people who have the big problem are low income multi generational families and high risk people with jobs where it’s impossible to stay in a bubble. It’s not going to happen in 2020 with this Presidency and Senate but it really should be the obligation of society to consider those people who are high risk and can’t sit on the sidelines isolated until an effective treatment or vaccine shows up.

Personally, I think some blend of antivirals and antibody therapy will gradually evolve that knocks the worst of the risk out. Kind of like AIDS where it was initially a death sentence but we slowly got better at treating it so it’s not a death sentence.
Why is everyone assuming a vaccine what if it really is a drug cocktail that wipes out the covid 19. I think a drug combo makes more sense since there are so many strains of the covid 19. you might be right about this. vaccines are not very effective lots of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 04:19 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
10 now.
https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/20...drome-children

The link isn't actually proven, at all, by any means. But even assuming it is, it's not worth reporting or reading about. I've already posted about the experts in Kawasaki disease themselves saying this is all very misleading, but if you don't like them, this article kinda rehashes that.

"We're encouraged that the children we have seen have recovered — and recovered well — and are not in the intensive care unit."

"This is infrequent but we do have treatments for this," Burns said. "In the severe form, where it affects the heart as it does with Kawasaki patients, then we do have treatments for that as well."

"Children rarely become critically ill from COVID-19, but a few do," Burns said. "So too with this. It's relatively infrequent, and children by and large are able to get through it, and most do not need to come in to the ICU or need a ventilator, and most can be treated."

I really don't know what you need to hear from whom to feel better about this? Why is unsubstantiated speculation to be favored over science and the experts in this case? Really not trying to be glib. I just don't understand this.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:21 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Why is everyone assuming a vaccine what if it really is a drug cocktail that wipes out the covid 19. I think a drug combo makes more sense since there are so many strains of the covid 19. you might be right about this. vaccines are not very effective lots of times.
A vaccine would be preferable - few side effects and patients don't need to go through the infection at all. But an effective drug therapy for Covid-19 patients, that would cut fatalities greatly and at least keep most hospitals stays much shorter for those badly affected, would also be a powerful weapon to help us reopen and for kids to go back to school. And drug development/clinical trial timelines, for existing medications anyways, are shorter than vaccine timelines. I am still optimistic that we'll have an effective drug by fall. Remdesivir has some benefits and is the best we have for now, but we need something better. Many existing medications are under study.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
10 now.
100 in nyc

Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
A vaccine would be preferable - few side effects and patients don't need to go through the infection at all. But an effective drug therapy for Covid-19 patients, that would cut fatalities greatly and at least keep most hospitals stays much shorter for those badly affected, would also be a powerful weapon to help us reopen and for kids to go back to school. And drug development/clinical trial timelines, for existing medications anyways, are shorter than vaccine timelines. I am still optimistic that we'll have an effective drug by fall. Remdesivir has some benefits and is the best we have for now, but we need something better. Many existing medications are under study.
I heard on average a vaccine takes 5 years. possibly it could take 10 years.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
This is just laughably, objectively, stupid.
what is stupid about it?

Old 05-14-2020, 04:30 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I heard on average a vaccine takes 5 years. possibly it could take 10 years.
Well, working with the latest technologies, and pulling out all the stops (damn the risks, damn the profits, etc) they hope to get that down to say, 18 months. First doses may be available sooner than that, but it will take a long time to manufacture, distribute and administer billions of doses of vaccine the world over. It's a massive undertaking, even once you have the vaccine technically developed and proven on a small scale in the clinic.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:36 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
It seems like there’s no easy answer for any of this. People want the economy open but are worried about being in close proximity with others. Some don’t want to be bothered with masks. Some are fine with not social distancing while others want it to continue. I agree that a vaccine would be great but it doesn’t mean people still won’t get this or die from it.

One thing that worries me is drs appts. I’ve already had a skin check cancelled by my derm and I’ve had skin cancer. No idea if my kids will still be keeping their yearly appts.

My mother in law lives in AZ, is pushing 75, has diabetes, asthma, and fibromyalgia. She’s very prone to getting pneumonia. I have no idea when life will be normal for her again. She says she will come visit when corona is over...I keep my thoughts to myself but this doesn’t seem like it will be over in her lifetime. I don’t know how she will be able to safely travel to see her kids and grandkids anytime soon.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:37 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Ive seen that there are 4 kids at Boston children’s being hospitalized with these covid related illnesses. Concerning but not quite alarming for the moment I guess.
Quote:
10 now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/20...drome-children

The link isn't actually proven, at all, by any means. But even assuming it is, it's not worth reporting or reading about. I've already posted about the experts in Kawasaki disease themselves saying this is all very misleading, but if you don't like them, this article kinda rehashes that.

"We're encouraged that the children we have seen have recovered — and recovered well — and are not in the intensive care unit."

"This is infrequent but we do have treatments for this," Burns said. "In the severe form, where it affects the heart as it does with Kawasaki patients, then we do have treatments for that as well."

"Children rarely become critically ill from COVID-19, but a few do," Burns said. "So too with this. It's relatively infrequent, and children by and large are able to get through it, and most do not need to come in to the ICU or need a ventilator, and most can be treated."

I really don't know what you need to hear from whom to feel better about this? Why is unsubstantiated speculation to be favored over science and the experts in this case? Really not trying to be glib. I just don't understand this.

The CDC seems to believe it's a problem and has recommended canceling or postponing all organized youth sports.

If the CDC aren't experts then I don't know who is.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:46 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It seems like there’s no easy answer for any of this. ...

One thing that worries me is drs appts. I’ve already had a skin check cancelled by my derm and I’ve had skin cancer. No idea if my kids will still be keeping their yearly appts.

My mother in law lives in AZ, is pushing 75, has diabetes, asthma, and fibromyalgia. She’s very prone to getting pneumonia. I have no idea when life will be normal for her again. She says she will come visit when corona is over...I keep my thoughts to myself but this doesn’t seem like it will be over in her lifetime. I don’t know how she will be able to safely travel to see her kids and grandkids anytime soon.

You should most certainly get the skin check and any other normal care and the kids should have their normal care and/or vaccines or whatever. A lot of people aren't keeping those things up to date and it will be to their detriment, I fear.

I agree that your MIL is not likely to see a visit again. Even if she could drive and travel that way, it wouldn't be safe to be in with kids unless they've been locked in a closet or something. My friends who are grandmothers are always catching something from them.

I have a friend in a similar position- grandchildren near L.A., friend at 67 in Honolulu, with a history of severe bronchitis with days in hospital and high blood pressure. I think it's just starting to dawn on her that she won't be seeing grandchildren any time in the foreseeable future. If she could drive, there could be a time, I don't know. Children are such germ vectors, too. Another friends parents in their 60s are hoping to drive from Minnesota to Colorado when things are a bit more open, will self-isolate in a family townhouse for 14 days, and then will see kid/grandkid. But things have to open up more even for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts