Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 06:57 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
What?!?
What, you thought schools weren't going to allow overseas students to come here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 07:51 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
With respiratory illnesses, you don't necessarily feel *that* bad, even when you're actually in dire straits. It was 30+ years ago, but I had been diagnosed with pneumonia by my PCP after a chest X-ray. I felt my condition worsen and actually called his office, but the office staff essentially said "Meh, you're fine" and waved me off... I was dizzy and light-headed, and I could tell my breathing was oddly shallow - and I hadn't connected that to the underlying physiology, but I was low on blood oxygen because my lungs were filled with fluid. Fortunately, I made it... When I came into his office days later and told this to my PCP, he said "Holy s---! I'll speak to my staff so they don't do that again, but if that ever happens, don't even call us, go straight to the hospital!"... if I had passed out, I'd likely never have woken up again... and about 10 years ago, my father almost died at home of pneumonia. He hadn't even gone to the doctor because he didn't think he was that sick. Fortunately my Mom was still alive then and when she couldn't find him, she looked in the bathroom where she found him unconscious on the floor and called 911. Were she not there, he'd have died.
I've been hospitalized several times in my life with pneumonia, and in each case it wasn't until symptoms became more severe (dehydration, inability to sleep, prolonged fever) before treatment ramped up past resting at home while waiting for antibiotics to do their thing.

What an individual may do based on past experiences is unique to them, but for the general population, the messaging has been to treat it at home much as you would a cold or flu. So, one hand is telling me to get tested as soon as I think I might have COVID because it's important, and the other hand is telling me that a positive COVID test changes nothing in my treatment until such point that I'm probably going to be dropped in a hospital and subjected to a barrage of tests anyway.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I've been hospitalized several times in my life with pneumonia, and in each case it wasn't until symptoms became more severe (dehydration, inability to sleep, prolonged fever) before treatment ramped up past resting at home while waiting for antibiotics to do their thing.

What an individual may do based on past experiences is unique to them, but for the general population, the messaging has been to treat it at home much as you would a cold or flu. So, one hand is telling me to get tested as soon as I think I might have COVID because it's important, and the other hand is telling me that a positive COVID test changes nothing in my treatment until such point that I'm probably going to be dropped in a hospital and subjected to a barrage of tests anyway.

From my understanding of how COVID-19 can push your oxygen levels off a cliff before you realize you have a problem, I think I'd want a pulse oximeter on my finger if I were showing symptoms at home. I'll be 63 this month so I'm probably in a higher risk group than you are even fully vaccinated.

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night so I'm certainly not a font of knowledge in this area.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:39 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queerfaith View Post
If I were unvaccinated (prior to being eligible) and developed covid like symptoms I would call MD and demand immediate testing, or get immediate testing somewhere...Then contact my MD or any MD that would treat me immediately with monoclonal antibodies or Ivermectin, because I lost a friend to COVID under the circumstances of not getting vaccinated or treated early. And if I get symptoms now as a vaccinated person-I will do the same! The MD's need firm direction at this time.
Ivermectin? Oh geesh. Let the medical profession do their job!

Old 05-02-2021, 11:51 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/05/...vid-hot-spots/

Uh oh

"Boston University, like several other area institutions, is requiring students to be inoculated before arriving on campus in the fall. While that shouldn’t be a problem for American students, nearly one third of its enrollees are from other countries.

For that reason, the school will allow its international students to be vaccinated in their home countries, *even if the vaccines used haven’t been approved for use in the United States*, according to Jean Morrison, BU’s provost and chief academic officer. However, depending on federal requirements in the fall, those students may have to quarantine on arrival."

What?!?

There is currently no guidance what to do if someone got vaccinated with an unapproved vaccine. We can't just give them J&J or another vaccine. The best we can do in these situations with international students for right now is hope for the best and make sure the rest of the community is vaccinated.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:25 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
What, you thought schools weren't going to allow overseas students to come here?
If they weren't vaccinated with a decent vaccine yes. The china one isn't anywhere close to good. And keep in mind they can just go online.

Sinovac is not good.

https://www.biospace.com/article/com...a-s-sputnik-v/

Old 05-02-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
If they weren't vaccinated with a decent vaccine yes. The china one isn't anywhere close to good. And keep in mind they can just go online.

Sinovac is not good.

https://www.biospace.com/article/com...a-s-sputnik-v/
The case has been repeatedly made that online education is inferior in many ways to in-person education. If I was an international student who got in to a good US university (and paying US university prices), I wouldn't be cool being kicked to the online curb despite having followed the rules given to me by the US. It's not like these students can go back and change which vaccine they got. You have to offer a Plan B that enables in-person, be it a quarantine or some other step or test I can take that will still enable access to in-person learning.

How many Americans would be upset if parts of Europe suddenly said 'sorry, but if you got vaccinated with J&J you can't visit?' This guidance would only impact your travel plans for a few years -- online is affecting these students' quality of education and potential future job prospects.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:46 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
If they weren't vaccinated with a decent vaccine yes. The china one isn't anywhere close to good.
It would have been good enough for the FDA. Since there's been no US trials about mixing vaccines that I am aware of, have to think that the guidance is going to be that it should be considered acceptable.

Old 05-02-2021, 02:52 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Now that masks are no longer required outside (assuming you can ensure physical distance), anyone noticing different behavior? Between downtown and my neighborhood, I’ve noticed fewer masks, but still quite a bit more than I expected. I’ve kept mine on while walking on the sidewalk, but off in the parks and more open spaces.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Now that masks are no longer required outside (assuming you can ensure physical distance), anyone noticing different behavior? Between downtown and my neighborhood, I’ve noticed fewer masks, but still quite a bit more than I expected. I’ve kept mine on while walking on the sidewalk, but off in the parks and more open spaces.
Mostly masked still here. Guidance says to do so around crowds and there’s always crowds on the sidewalks around here so it makes sense most are still masked. There are a few more who are walking around with no mask at all, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts