Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2021, 12:13 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That seems logical. But that's not what the site said when I checked last. You are eligible to make appointments and get vaccines starting the 18th. May be after midnight.
This is correct. The wording in several locations is tricky, but the announcement is that starting tomorrow, people over age 65 (or with 2+ medical conditions) can make appointments and begin to receive the vaccine. So today, if you're 67 years old, you technically can't make an appointment - even for March 1 if it's available. Starting tomorrow, you could make an appointment for your first shot, even on the same day.

They're also making 77,000 additional appointments available for reservation tomorrow morning (I'm assuming as soon as the clock strikes 12).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 01:59 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
I misunderstood.

If you are under 65, and have 2 issues, are you eligible?

And how do they check when you get there, if you are obese, smoking, T2D, etc. Is it the honor system?

Disclaimer: I got vaccine #1 and #2 is in another week.
Starting tomorrow, Group 2 of Phase 2 are eligible - Group 2: Individuals age 65+, individuals with 2+ certain medical conditions, and/or residents and staff of low income and affordable senior housing.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ma...hases#phase-2-

Old 02-17-2021, 02:37 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Lowell General has spots available for people in the next phase, my folks (under 75) just booked and saw dates as early as tomorrow when looking around 3pm. For 2 together they had to go out to later next week.

Old 02-17-2021, 02:56 PM

15,862 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I'll be refreshing tonight at midnight to see if I can get in.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of check to see if you *actually* have 2 or more comorbidities, so I'll report back on how that works (if I can get in).

Old 02-17-2021, 03:30 PM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'm not suggesting ticky-tack fines because an individual correctly identifies proportional risk (e.g. walking a dog mask-less in a medium density public park).

For every very public gym-standoff, there were and continue to be hundreds of smaller scale 'super-spreader' events which seemingly have no adequate legal mechanism to slow, short of town admin and PDs deciding to pull certain levers such as utility access.

For example, at the very moment case number were going parabolic this winter and my ED contacts were loading bodies into refrigeration trucks, the LDS church in my community was meeting with near zero mask compliance on a biweekly basis. Town admin had no political will to address the issue suggesting a free-market solution is to simply avoid that church. Normally I would agree, but when community spread is a societal problem I believe free-market solutions are not the best tool for the task. You need enforced accountability when groups are willing to ignore all guidance in the name of politics (this swings both ways).

Now, I also place blame our healthcare leadership who greatly confused the public early on by dismissing the efficacy of mask wearing as a thinly veiled supply chain 'solution'. Non-transparent actions like this introduce plenty of runway for conspiracies and distrust. Sweden's current situation is a great example of public health communication gone wrong.
I wouldn't necessarily conclude it was based on free market principles, but rather that the government would have a pretty heavy burden in establishing that targeting a protected class religious group was in the name of a compelling government interest in avoiding some harm; a harm that would be nearly impossible to establish. This becomes even more ludicrous when you have public comments (printed in establishment media) by health officials basically declaring that any potential public health concerns from BLM rioters and/or protestors were essentially offset by the greater need for social justice (along with a many other hypocrisies propagated by public officials of all stripes). Good luck with all that.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:06 PM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I wouldn't necessarily conclude it was based on free market principles, but rather that the government would have a pretty heavy burden in establishing that targeting a protected class religious group was in the name of a compelling government interest in avoiding some harm; a harm that would be nearly impossible to establish. This becomes even more ludicrous when you have public comments (printed in establishment media) by health officials basically declaring that any potential public health concerns from BLM rioters and/or protestors were essentially offset by the greater need for social justice (along with a many other hypocrisies propagated by public officials of all stripes). Good luck with all that.
That part from last summer--I agree with you. It strains the credibility of public health officials to take sides on social issues.

However, let's face it--the BLM protestors were mostly masked. And if you recall, Baker offered free testing for the protestors and the results showed no significant increase in positivity rate amongst them, vs. what we had in the population at large (at the time).

When we've seen protests from the right wing, it's been exactly the opposite--almost zero masking. Hence the more vocal opposition to holding all those campaign rallies last summer & fall.

Old 02-17-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'll be refreshing tonight at midnight to see if I can get in.

There doesn't seem to be any kind of check to see if you *actually* have 2 or more comorbidities, so I'll report back on how that works (if I can get in).
Boston Globe today:

"The state is not requiring people to provide medical documentation or proof that they have any of the aforementioned conditions in order to receive early vaccine priority. Instead, eligible recipients will be asked to fill out an online attestation form confirming they meet the criteria. In other words, the state is relying on the honor system."

Full article is linked here...in case you subscribe.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/...covid-vaccine/

Old 02-17-2021, 07:37 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
In other words, the state is relying on the honor system.
Good luck with that. Get ready for 2 months of being annoyed with line jumpers who have justified it somehow in their own mind.

Old 02-17-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Good luck with that. Get ready for 2 months of being annoyed with line jumpers who have justified it somehow in their own mind.
I agree, I thought the same. I personally couldn't do it ethically, but others will. The way to avoid this, given HIPAA, would be to have the medical groups (e.g. Atrius Health, etc.) contact their patients directly with some kind of registration code, which they would receive only if medical records support the existence of the comorbidities.

Old 02-17-2021, 08:05 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I meaan getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible will benefit everybody. This isn't exactly like cutting the line at a grocery store or at Disney World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts