Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 09:51 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

I'm just glad i'm solidly in phase 3. Just gonna sit back and wait until this is all sorted out. In this case, I don't mind being in the back of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 09:55 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
I'm not sure what people expected.

It happened in Georgia, in California, in Washington State, etc. The state opened up a 1 million plus person category to a limited number of slots and it is day one. Not exactly a complete blindside and the outrage is a bit premature. If it still sucks in a week, sure. It's like people are pissed that Charlie Baker didn't personally code the website and work with AWS engineers to ensure an iPhone level user experience.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:10 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm just glad i'm solidly in phase 3. Just gonna sit back and wait until this is all sorted out. In this case, I don't mind being in the back of the line.
I'll take it as soon as I am able - but also Phase 3. I am not having any big anxiety over it though. Figure I have made it a year so far without catching it and the odds are very good I'll make it a few more months too, especially if I continue to follow the public health guidelines.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:13 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I'm not sure what people expected.

It happened in Georgia, in California, in Washington State, etc. The state opened up a 1 million plus person category to a limited number of slots and it is day one. Not exactly a complete blindside and the outrage is a bit premature. If it still sucks in a week, sure. It's like people are pissed that Charlie Baker didn't personally code the website and work with AWS engineers to ensure an iPhone level user experience.
65+ based upon the census data is somewhere around 1.5 million. As of last week, 250k had already gotten one shot and you can probably add another 80k or so this week. At 70% wanting it that would be about a million remaining.

Now the 2 issues population is likely a lot given obesity is on the list... Americans are pretty damn fat although I think MA is one of the fitter states in the country.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:37 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
If you are "losing" faith in Baker, that would imply that you "once" had faith in him. That's the real scary part...
Yup. I did. I admit it. I felt he was doing a good job. I had no real problem with the lockdowns, and so forth...

But this part - Nope. not happy with. Seeing other states vaccines going much better - this aint good.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:42 AM

448 posts, read 282,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post

Now the 2 issues population is likely a lot given obesity is on the list... Americans are pretty damn fat although I think MA is one of the fitter states in the country.
I think 'fat' or 'obese' (Im calling them both the same for this) - is easy to get called.

From what I remember, BMI is X% over normal, and you are fat. Therefore, theres one easy one.

And if <I> was a teacher, and I <had> to go back to school, and I <wanted> the vaccine for my own piece of mind.... and if I was a non smoker.... Yup, I admit it. Id say Im a smoker, give me the vaccine.

Define 'Smoker' (besides one that smokes)... 1 cigarette a day? 1 a week? Who's to say....

Open to your own personal belief?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:50 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Vaxfinder is now working again. They added a bunch of additional days at Gillette too.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:50 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Yup. I did. I admit it. I felt he was doing a good job. I had no real problem with the lockdowns, and so forth...

But this part - Nope. not happy with. Seeing other states vaccines going much better - this aint good.
We are in 9th on 1st doses (behind several much smaller states) with only .1% between us and #7.

We got an F on a disingenuous study by a political science professor that was graded on a curve using data that was outdated when it came out. It included deaths which we were severely impacted by early on and has nothing to do with vaccination progress.

There are always ways of improving systems but I'm not sure what specifically we are doing wrong at this time. Maybe I'm just way too optimistic. If the website crashes until 8PM tonight but all the appointments are filled how is that not still accomplishing what was expected?

Old 02-18-2021, 10:53 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
BMI > 30% is considered obese. MA has about 25% obesity rate for adults.

If you have smoked at any time over the last 12 months you are typically considered a smoker for life insurance purposes.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:09 AM

12,432 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
We are in 9th on 1st doses (behind several much smaller states) with only .1% between us and #7.

We got an F on a disingenuous study by a political science professor that was graded on a curve using data that was outdated when it came out. It included deaths which we were severely impacted by early on and has nothing to do with vaccination progress.

There are always ways of improving systems but I'm not sure what specifically we are doing wrong at this time. Maybe I'm just way too optimistic. If the website crashes until 8PM tonight but all the appointments are filled how is that not still accomplishing what was expected?
Yeah, today is the first few hours of a massive widening of eligibility, so some website teething issues shouldn't be a shock. Frankly, I expect there will also be issues with actually getting this many people through the system. It's not just the signups, or even the facilities themselves - vaccine supplies are limited, and I have been reading about their manufacture, and there is no magic wand to be waved. Phase 2 is planned to run through the end of March, anyway, so maybe they'll still make it.

While I wish things were easier and better here, I'm also aware that there are problems all over the country with people getting appointments, with wait times at facilities and getting vaccinated. So I am just not moved to the kind of rending of garments and gnashing of teeth response that some have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts