Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:12 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
And it's with the greatest of pleasure that I see our bank accounts swell each and every month with funds from the state and the feds, knowing that malcontents like you are still paying into systems that sustain us but may not last long enough for you and your negative ilk to receive any benefits whatsoever. Thank you!
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the Mexican illegal who works in the farms and puts affordable food on America's tables actually contributed more to CA than you ever did in your 50 year job as a CA state government worker. Explain exactly what socially redeeming value did your job as a pencil pusher for the state have that CA taxpayers should now pay your pension for life?

Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Where are these Americans who want to pick carrots? The carrot farms are out there for the picking. How come you are posting here on CD instead of lining up to pick carrots?
As I stated which you happen to have left out... Cut unemployment and kick out illegals and you will find out exactly where those Americans are. Let me paste it again : Google - public data

Why am I not picking carrots? Because.. I have a job doing something better.. that pays more. I went to school and got my Masters degree and can solicit a better job. According to facts, a lot don't have this level of education : http://www.luminafoundation.org/research/state_data/images/California_attainment_overview.jpg (broken link)

B.T.W - Before I shipped off to school, i ran a Lawn business in Florida. It was me and two friends. As opposed to what upity American's think, People other than Mexican do labor. It was very lucrative given my age and the jobs that were available to me. It gets very hot in FL and is very humid. I enjoyed the vitamin D, flexible hours and near 20/hr earnings I got from the labor. Got any other silly behind smart arse questions?

Quote:
Sure, we can follow your advice and go back to the Great Depression when unemployment insurance did not exist and the unemployment rate was 25%. I hear that was a fun experience for people subsisting on soup and beans.
Explain logically how my statements warrant this comment. Here's a cheat sheet of logical symbols to use in your response :

Here's a smart arse response to your unfounded logical fallacy ridden response : Why don't we turn into Greece and have full on chaos from unfounded entitlement obligations .. A sh*t GDP and a bunch of lazy arses taking in tons more than they contribute... Nice straw man/extreme man fallacy you made right there : Logical Fallacy: Straw Man

Quote:
But but but......capitalism is the American way. It's woven into fabric of American life. Heck, it's even written in the US constitution somewhere . Low cost labor is what enables our companies to make profits. Low cost labor keeps us rich. Used to be we had slaves as our profit centers, but times have changed. Now we have "illegals". And what's this thing about minimum wage? Are you saying you support it? Minimum wage is a liberal idea. Nope, it's a communist idea. Are you a liberal or a communist?
Listen dude.. Don't even attempt to start making comments about the U.S's history or economics. It seems you aren't familiar w/ either.
It was .. It was written.. In the past.. As you note yourself, things have changed. In the past, was there a global economy where labor prices were determined on a global scale? In the past was this labor readily available via technologies like VPNs and globally connected netowrks? In the past, were there the same level of entitlement/social programs as there are now as a % of GDP? In the past, were public workers servants of the public or leechers of the public who gained more than the private sector? In the past, did Americans not work sh*t jobs in coal mines and in very laborous conditions as a sense of pride for this country. I don't support minimum wage. There, to state it since you like to make ASSumptions.

Are we done here dude?

Quote:
You're on a roll. Yep, we should tell kids not to go college or else they may become one of your competitors for the few engineering jobs available. You see, that job is reserved for you and you alone. No one else dare compete with you for it.
WTF are you talking about?

Quote:
I agree. Let's start with ending this idiot philosophy that Americans are entitled to a job. For some reason, I can't find it in the US constitution where it says having a job is a basic right of American citizens.
Now you are making sense.

Quote:
What were your parents doing during their youth? How come they had no college degrees? Were they too lazy to go to school?
Because I don't mind sharing personal information.... My dad met my mom before he went to college.. She had family issues.. Her mom was a loser and went from guy to guy and treated her kids like shat... So my mom was left on her own... My dad was very bright and exceptional at football.. He went to college, his family was poor and couldn't really help him in school.. he struggled and the experience was very unpleasant.. You see, I am african American and in my family tree, I have some generations of slaves for which my grandma told me about... Nonetheless, my dad happened to make a serious mistake when he was home and got my mom pregnant .. Bam, his mistake .. Unlike other irresponsible fathers, he did the right thing.. Quit college and came back to take care of his wife/kid .. he took on 2-3 jobs which turned to 3-4 .. worked night shifts and studied for air traffic controller job ... worked that.. did a teller job during the day which eventually progressed to him being a branch manager over time.. My mom too was in banking but dad wanted mom to raise me and my brother.. So, she was a stay at home mom.. Parents got divorced because my mom was a wreckless idiot who wanted to sleep around.. Given the court system, she robbed him of all of his $$$ and custody of us.. she eventually gave us to him for a bulk sum of money ... All the while, my dad raised two very bright and productive sons who both went on to get college diplomas.. Myself, a masters in 4 years in electrical and computer engineering from one of the top schools in the U.S and my bro a bachelors degree . Throughout his life struggle, he never made excuses for what he suffered. He busted his but and told his kids to do the same else they be like him.... He took pride in his work. He is now on unemployment as he was laid off during the financial crisis ... and I definitely see what it does to him and argue even w/ him about it .. It has made him lazy .. and I want it to end for him as well as others. He has a family .. two sons.. if he needs food/water/shelter, i would gladly provide that for him.. However, he wants more than that .. he wants to live his same lifestyle and to me that's unacceptable. So yes, i make no exceptions even for family ... You got enough of a background?

Quote:
Right. Screw the entitlement crap. Let's start with the idea that Americans are entitled to a job and that they should be protected from competition by low skilled immigrants. Let the free market reign. America is a capitalist society. If you don't like it here because low wage immigrants are "taking away" your job, then you can move.....to Mexico.
You started out good then you took a shat all over yourself. I really question if you understand capitalism and economics. I am at a loss for words on how you formed that conclusion. You started off good but have no idea where that conclusion came from.

Quote:
Exactly. And that's why we should allow the Mexicans who want to pick carrots to pick carrots.
Let me give you some words to consider : Net Gain/Net Loss ... Basic math would help ... Again, you start off good but your conclusion is completely garbage. You wanna know the reason why immigration gives a 'temporary' net boost? Because immigrants are hungry for success... Much like i was hungry as a child to do something better than my father.. You wanna know why that hunger is not often born of Americans? Because you give them a freaking silver spoon and make it seem as though their detriments are not born of their own short comings ... External locus of control .... Remove the spoon and you will give that same fervor of the some odd 13% of unemployed californians. And so exactly why we should allow capitalism to work and free markets and let Americans work those jobs for however much an employer wants to pay them.

Quote:
Right. Get rid of the hand holding. End the protectionism of American labor that protects Americans from competing against low wage immigrants.
Do you have a problem w/ the way you wrap up sentences? "against low wage immigrants. " .. No .. let me rephrase that for you "Against global labor born of people of their home countries"

Quote:
That's exactly what the lazy bums receiving unemployment benefits are doing. No wait....I thought you were opposed to that. I'm confused.
I know someone coming as direct as I am is new to you .. I will try to slow it down and speak slowly for you

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-20-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the Mexican illegal who works in the farms and puts affordable food on America's tables actually contributed more to CA than you ever did in your 50 year job as a CA state government worker. Explain exactly what socially redeeming value did your job as a pencil pusher for the state have that CA taxpayers should now pay your pension for life?
Not just my pension, Bozo, but medical and dental benefits as well. Eat your heart out.

You might try a tiny modicum of accuracy along with your stinkin' thinkin'. It was 25 years, not 50. It was a mix of law enforcement and mental health forensics keeping such lovely characters as sexually violent predators, mentally disordered offenders and persons found incompetent to stand trial or not guilty by reason of insanity off the streets and in secured mental health facilities. I dare say those two careers encompassed far more socially redeeming successes than anything you've ever done in your miserable life.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 05-20-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 09:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,997 times
Quote:
And it's with the greatest of pleasure that I see our bank accounts swell each and every month with funds from the state and the feds, knowing that malcontents like you are still paying into systems that sustain us but may not last long enough for you and your negative ilk to receive any benefits whatsoever. Thank you!
Austerity is a coming. I hope you haven't become fat and lazy w/ all that free money pouring in ... When not if.. but (when) it stops, you might find yourself unable to cope w/ the realities of work again. Here's hoping you bounce out and up when the gravy train stops. The thing about intelligent people.. they find creative ways to avoid/fight unfair taxation .. Sure, j6p who doesn't care to know or doesn't know any better gets robbed of his rightful compensation of his labor.. However, the smart and conscious of us know all to well how to avoid being milked

Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Austerity is a coming. I hope you haven't become fat and lazy w/ all that free money pouring in ... When not if.. but (when) it stops, you might find yourself unable to cope w/ the realities of work again. Here's hoping you bounce out and up when the gravy train stops. The thing about intelligent people.. they find creative ways to avoid/fight unfair taxation .. Sure, j6p who doesn't care to know or doesn't know any better gets robbed of his rightful compensation of his labor.. However, the smart and conscious of us know all to well how to avoid being milked
Neither fat nor lazy. Nor am I going to return to work. The money isn't "free" by any means. I paid into it for anywhere from 25 to 45 years, depending upon the source. I firmly believe both my wife and I are old enough to be safe.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:05 AM

[quote]
Quote:
As I stated which you happen to have left out... Cut unemployment and kick out illegals and you will find out exactly where those Americans are. Let me paste it again : Google - public data
Kick illegals out, sit back with the popcorn and watch the price of farm produce and everything else down the chain increase, farms and businesses shut down, and unemployment increase. Or kick the illegals out, and watch your jobs getting shipped overseas to low cost countries like India and China. Pick your poison.

Quote:
Why am I not picking carrots? Because.. I have a job doing something better.. that pays more. I went to school and got my Masters degree and can solicit a better job. According to facts, a lot don't have this level of education :
Gotta be careful with that Master's degree. In today's world, that's getting to be the equivalent of a high school diploma. You might see your job taken away by better educated PhDs from India and China who are smarter than you.

Quote:
B.T.W - Before I shipped off to school, i ran a Lawn business in Florida. It was me and two friends. As opposed to what upity American's think, People other than Mexican do labor. It was very lucrative given my age and the jobs that were available to me. It gets very hot in FL and is very humid. I enjoyed the vitamin D, flexible hours and near 20/hr earnings I got from the labor. Got any other silly behind smart arse questions?

Note to self: beware of posters that put up their own personal anecdotes as a basis for arguing for or against positions that have social policy implications - as if their personal experiences have any generalizable merit that should apply to everyone else.

Quote:
Listen dude.. Don't even attempt to start making comments about the U.S's history or economics. It seems you aren't familiar w/ either.
It was .. It was written.. In the past.. As you note yourself, things have changed. In the past, was there a global economy where labor prices were determined on a global scale?
You're arguing against yourself. If you want the full force of the global economy to impact the US economy, then open the borders. We have a globalized economy; that's precisely why immigration restrictions that block the global flow of labor are anachronistic.

Quote:
In the past was this labor readily available via technologies like VPNs and globally connected netowrks? In the past, were there the same level of entitlement/social programs as there are now as a % of GDP?
"Entitlement programs" have always existed. The only difference is that the terminology has changed, and the beneficiaries have changed. In the past, the beneficiaries of the entitlement programs were primarily the ruling classes. These classes were entitled by virtue of heritage (i.e. the divine rights of kings) to benefit from the fruits of the labor of the peasants. The peasants in turn had the entitlement of being subjects of the ruling class and expected protection from enemies and the vagaries of nature. They didn't call it social security or medicare back then, but the feudalistic relationship between lords and vassals was premised on mutual aid, with most of the benefit accruing to the royalty.

Quote:
In the past, were public workers servants of the public or leechers of the public who gained more than the private sector? In the past, did Americans not work sh*t jobs in coal mines and in very laborous conditions as a sense of pride for this country. I don't support minimum wage. There, to state it since you like to make ASSumptions.

Child labor and oppressive working conditions that existed in the past have largely been eliminated thanks to ideas that you'd call "liberal" or "communist". These include the idea of the minimum wage. And no, Americans didn't work in coal mines just so they would be entombed there.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Because I don't mind sharing personal information.... My dad met my mom before he went to college.. She had family issues.. Her mom was a loser and went from guy to guy and treated her kids like shat.

So who was your real grandfather?

Quote:
So my mom was left on her own... My dad was very bright and exceptional at football..
He may have been bright, but he did pick your mom.

Quote:
He went to college, his family was poor and couldn't really help him in school.. he struggled and the experience was very unpleasant.. You see, I am african American and in my family tree, I have some generations of slaves for which my grandma told me about..

What do you think of those slaves? Did they do the right thing?

Quote:
Nonetheless, my dad happened to make a serious mistake when he was home and got my mom pregnant .. Bam, his mistake ..
What serious mistake? Are you talking about the conception of you?

Quote:
Unlike other irresponsible fathers, he did the right thing.. Quit college and came back to take care of his wife/kid .. he took on 2-3 jobs which turned to 3-4 .. worked night shifts and studied for air traffic controller job ... worked that.. did a teller job during the day which eventually progressed to him being a branch manager over time.. My mom too was in banking but dad wanted mom to raise me and my brother.. So, she was a stay at home mom..
Kudos to your dad for sticking it in your mom. Otherwise you wouldn't be here today.

Quote:
Parents got divorced because my mom was a wreckless idiot who wanted to sleep around..
Okay, what's the difference between a "wreckless idiot" and a reckless idiot? BTW, sleeping around doesn't make her a "wreckless idiot" (whatever that means). She was just horny.

Quote:
Given the court system, she robbed him of all of his $$$ and custody of us.. she eventually gave us to him for a bulk sum of money ... All the while, my dad raised two very bright and productive sons who both went on to get college diplomas..
Really? Did you go to public or private school? Did you pay cash or apply for student loans?

Quote:
Throughout his life struggle, he never made excuses for what he suffered. He busted his but and told his kids to do the same else they be like him.... He took pride in his work. He is now on unemployment as he was laid off during the financial crisis ... and I definitely see what it does to him and argue even w/ him about it

Did a Mexican illegal replace him at the bank?

Quote:
.. You got enough of a background?
Irish Catholic turned atheist. Grew up in LA. Dad was a chemical engineer, mom a nurse. They owned some rental real estate in southern California. My dad was an avid investor in the stock market. Built their net worth that way. My dad benefitted massively from the bull market of the 80s and 90s. Dad passed away with a net worth that I estimate to be in the 8 figures. Mom still lives in Socal. As can be expected from their social class, they were pretty right wing in their ideology. Ronald Reagan was god. In fact, you can throw at me all the right wing rhetoric you can think of, I've heard them all.

Parents sent me to some good schools. Northwestern in Chicago for undergrad and med school. Volunteered for the Red Cross and travelled to Asia for a year. That stint really opened my eyes to the deleterious effects of American policies on the people of other countries. Totally changed my political views. If you can believe it, I had been a Republican until that time.

I don't hate my parents. I just don't like the ideology that they subscribed to. Live and learn.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Parents sent me to some good schools. Northwestern in Chicago for undergrad and med school.

I don't hate my parents. I just don't like the ideology that they subscribed to. Live and learn.
Yeah! Ya really gotta resent those parents who provided you with such opportunity and an ideology and system that made it possible.

Clearly you live but I very much doubt you've learned. Aren't you a bit long in the tooth for juvenile rebellion against Mommy and Daddy and all they stood for?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yeah! Ya really gotta resent those parents who provided you with such opportunity and an ideology and system that made it possible.

Clearly you live but I very much doubt you've learned. Aren't you a bit long in the tooth for juvenile rebellion against Mommy and Daddy and all they stood for?
Are you jealous?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
They can't get welfare, Medi-Cal or Food Stamps.
If you have read this entire thread you should now know who and what Anchor Babies are. A very common sight when I grocery shop is an obviously illegal alien woman, not able to speak English, at the checkout stand with a full cart, including not just staples, but items considered luxeries. With her are two or three small children, born in the USA, all medical expenses paid for by you and me. When it is time to pay the bill, out comes reams of food stamps, again provided by you and me. When the smoldering rage courses through my mind, I do not feel one damn bit guilty or feel any need to justify my thoughts or opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration