Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:58 PM

144 posts, read 609,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Let's assume your numbers are correct: 10 billion dollars cost by the illegals. They're consuming resources and not paying into the system. That's the argument, right?

Solution: legalize the illegals, then let them pay taxes. The 10 billion that they are consuming in services will now be recovered in the form of taxes.

You've just cut the deficit by half.
Not a chance since illegals already pay sales tax, excise tax and property taxes. So you gain CA income tax but since most are not high income earners they will get most of that back in form of tax refunds and on top of it they will qualify for social programs that they don't now, this is will increase the deficit for CA not decrease it.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,540,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I was born here and have been paying taxes for a long time. The system doesn't work when people come here, earn so little that no tax is paid or work for cash under the table, and immediately start consuming social services.
Prove that you were born here and have been paying taxes for a long time. Where's your birth certificate and tax returns? Those documents should be on your person wherever you go.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,540,036 times
Quote:
Prove that you were born here and have been paying taxes for a long time. Where's your birth certificate and tax returns? Those documents should be on your person wherever you go.
I carry a valid California drivers license which required a birth certificate to legally obtain. Incidentally, that's all someone in Arizona needs to present to a police officer to be presumed to be here legally.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM

30,921 posts, read 37,114,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
How exactly are illegals costing CA $10.5B?

They can't get welfare, Medi-Cal or Food Stamps.

It is easy to just spout a number, but facts are better.
In theory, they can't get those things. In practice, many probably do. In addition, they can get education and we have to pay for criminal illegals to be in prison. The education component alone is quite expensive.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
How much of that is offset by me being able to buy Carrots at 14 cents a pound because of cheap labor from illegals?
Not that much.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
I was born here and have been paying taxes for a long time. The system doesn't work when people come here, earn so little that no tax is paid or work for cash under the table, and immediately start consuming social services.
So by your logic, Americans who are disabled, elderly, and can't work or earn very little (therefore pay little to no taxes) and consume a lot of services should be arrested and jailed for 20 years in the desert? The severity of punishment should be inversely proportional to the person's income? I like that system! Modesty aside, I'm in the 35% tax bracket, so under your system I should be getting a slap in the wrist if I robbed a bank.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Let's assume your numbers are correct: 10 billion dollars cost by the illegals. They're consuming resources and not paying into the system. That's the argument, right?

Solution: legalize the illegals, then let them pay taxes. The 10 billion that they are consuming in services will now be recovered in the form of taxes.

You've just cut the deficit by half.
Not true. Low skill people are a net drain on the tax base. The top 5% income earners pay most of the taxes. Over 90% of the taxes are paid by the top 50%.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I carry a valid California drivers license which required a birth certificate to legally obtain. Incidentally, that's all someone in Arizona needs to present to a police officer to be presumed to be here legally.
Not good enough. We need to see your birth certificate. Not the copy, but the original.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Not true. Low skill people are a net drain on the tax base. The top 5% income earners pay most of the taxes. Over 90% of the taxes are paid by the top 50%.
Then why don't we deport 95% of taxpayers? They're just a drain on the system. The US belongs to people like me who are among the top 5% of income earners. The rest of you can move to a different country.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Then why don't we deport 95% of taxpayers? They're just a drain on the system. The US belongs to people like me who are among the top 5% of income earners. The rest of you can move to a different country.
That's where the concept of citizenship comes in--a concept that seems lost on you. People who are born here legally are entitled to such benefits.

Now, I'll grant you, I don't think we can afford to pay these benefits (mainly SS & Medicare) to our own citizens for too much longer (at least not at current benefit levels). We certainly can't afford to pay social benefits to people who come here illegally along with any children they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration