Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM

706 posts, read 940,555 times

Advertisements

With the economy in the tank, and unemployment continuing to rise, this comes as no surprise....Also read some of the comments...
In the long run,though, We are still dealing with "the usual suspects" in Sacramento...

"As California lawmakers struggle with a budget gap that has now grown to $26.3 billion, one of the hottest topics for many taxpayers is the cost to the state of illegal immigrants.

The question of whether taxpayers should provide services to illegal residents became a major political issue in California's last deep recession, culminating in the ballot fight over Proposition 187 in 1994. That history could repeat itself in the current downturn, as activists opposed to illegal immigration have launched a campaign for an initiative that would, among other things, cut off welfare payments to the U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants. Those children are eligible for welfare benefits because they are U.S. citizens."

SNIP

Illegal immigrants again in the budget spotlight - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Note the use of the word 'illegal' vs. 'undocumented'---------especially in a lick spittle Calif publication. Maybe the pendulum is indeed swinging against the above criminals now?

Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 AM

706 posts, read 940,555 times
even more recognition of the problem......

"California is a leader in both government debt and the sanctuary city movement. But as its citizens seek shelter from the economic storm, the question has arisen anew whether its non-citizens and the better life they want takes precedence over its citizens and the better life they are entitled to."
"In this mother of all recessions, it's getting harder to argue that illegal aliens are here to do the jobs Americans won't do. These days there are fewer jobs Americans won't do. These days there are fewer jobs, period. It's fair to ask whether those who are going to pull the wagon of higher taxes should get to decide who rides inside"

SNIP
Investors.com - Bailing Out Illegals

Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
even more recognition of the problem......

"California is a leader in both government debt and the sanctuary city movement. But as its citizens seek shelter from the economic storm, the question has arisen anew whether its non-citizens and the better life they want takes precedence over its citizens and the better life they are entitled to."
"In this mother of all recessions, it's getting harder to argue that illegal aliens are here to do the jobs Americans won't do. These days there are fewer jobs Americans won't do. These days there are fewer jobs, period. It's fair to ask whether those who are going to pull the wagon of higher taxes should get to decide who rides inside"

SNIP
And Investors.com comes across as a mainstream publication to boot.

Memo to illegal aliens: leave while it is still relatively safe to do so.................otherwise, you butts will rot in internment camps prior to deportation after having all of your assets seized.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
With the economy in the tank, and unemployment continuing to rise, this comes as no surprise....Also read some of the comments...
In the long run,though, We are still dealing with "the usual suspects" in Sacramento...

"As California lawmakers struggle with a budget gap that has now grown to $26.3 billion, one of the hottest topics for many taxpayers is the cost to the state of illegal immigrants.

The question of whether taxpayers should provide services to illegal residents became a major political issue in California's last deep recession, culminating in the ballot fight over Proposition 187 in 1994. That history could repeat itself in the current downturn, as activists opposed to illegal immigration have launched a campaign for an initiative that would, among other things, cut off welfare payments to the U.S.-born children of illegal immigrants. Those children are eligible for welfare benefits because they are U.S. citizens."

SNIP

Illegal immigrants again in the budget spotlight - Los Angeles Times
What? They only come here to work. They don't steal jobs or receive social services. At least that is what the pro-illegals keep claiming.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:12 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,752,679 times
Read the comments....there are some pretty fed-up taxpayers in California right now. If they were smart, they'd vote every single incumbent (with a few exceptions) out of office. Maybe then the idiot politicians would understand just how angry and resentful their constituents have become after decades of bearing the burden of forced financial support for California's illegal alien population.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Read the comments....there are some pretty fed-up taxpayers in California right now. If they were smart, they'd vote every single incumbent (with a few exceptions) out of office. Maybe then the idiot politicians would understand just how angry and resentful their constituents have become after decades of bearing the burden of forced financial support for California's illegal alien population.
Better yet, expand the wholesale throwing out of the bums, both illegals and politicians, to a nation-wide endeavor!

Old 07-12-2009, 12:47 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,892 times
Quote:
And Investors.com comes across as a mainstream publication to boot.

Memo to illegal aliens: leave while it is still relatively safe to do so.................otherwise, you butts will rot in internment camps prior to deportation after having all of your assets seized.
Illegal immigrants are going to continue to ride the gravy train as long as Washington continues to be run by gutless politicians who crap in their pants at the mere thought of "offending" the viva la raza Hispanic community.

Politicians are more scared of pro-illegal Hispanic lobby groups than they are of the American people.

Uncle Sam has become Jose's prison b.i.t.c.h.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Illegal immigrants are going to continue to ride the gravy train as long as Washington continues to be run by gutless politicians who crap in their pants at the mere thought of "offending" the viva la raza Hispanic community.

Politicians are more scared of pro-illegal Hispanic lobby groups than they are of the American people.

Uncle Sam bows down and bends over for Maria and Jose.
Then said politicans need to be voted out; and, if necessary, impeached for derelection of duty

Old 07-12-2009, 02:48 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
"In this mother of all recessions, it's getting harder to argue that illegal aliens are here to do the jobs Americans won't do. These days there are fewer jobs Americans won't do.

SNIP
I get so tired of hearing this BS.

Illegals don't do jobs Americans won't do they create jobs Americans can't afford to do.

I'm over 60 years old and for the last 35 plus years I've been involved in managing commercial construction sites. I've seen them all from the $30,000 remodel to the $500 million hotel.

Hanging drywall at construction sites.

In 1985 a young man out of high school could get a job hanging drywall at a construction site for $12.00 per hour payable in 1985 dollars.

To put it in perspective with inflation what cost $12.00 in 1985 would cost $23.70 in 2008.

Go to any commercial construction site and I can guarantee 80% of the drywall hangers will be illegal aliens not a one who can speak English. You'll also find most make between $8.50 and $10.00 per hour in 2009 dollars.

Adjusting for inflation if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2008 and 1985, they would cost you $10.00 and $5.07 respectively.

Drywall, it's hard, backbreaking, hot work but something tells me there would be no end to the line of applicants willing to do it for $23.70 an hour or $948.00 for a 40 hour week. To some of you this might sound like a large amount of money and it is but you will earn every dime of it. But you will not do it for $330.00 take home pay and I don't blame you. I wouldn't do it either. It's hot and it's hard.

Stupid McCain (I voted for Ron Paul) lost my vote with his statement how Mexican workers worked so hard picking lettuce in the Arizona sun and no American worker would work in those conditions for $50 an hour. Wanna bet?

I got a job for you all, no overtime pay either it's all straight time.

The job I got for you is picking lettuce for $50 per hour working 14 hours a day, 5 days a week in the hot Arizona sun where temperatures rise to 120 degrees. I'm going to pay $700.00 per day (14 hours) or $3,500.00 a week for the summer. That is the catch, to get the money you have to agree to work four straight months but for those 4 months (17.3 weeks) you'll make $60,550.00. That is $60,550.00 for four months work.

Anyone interested?

If I put an add in the paper for this job and something tells me I might have four or five people show up to apply.

That was tongue and cheek, we all know there would be tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands or even millions) of people coming from all over the country to apply.

So it isn't a job Americans won't do. That is insulting to hear a politician spew such garbage and is why McCain lost my vote.

If all the illegals left the lettuce would still be picked but it might be the growers would have to pay $15.00 an hour and not the $6.00 they pay now. Maybe $20.00 an hour, doesn't really matter because at some point between $6.00 and $50.00 per hour you will find all the Americans you need to do the harvest.

Will the cost of lettuce go up? Yeah, a little but through increased taxes paying for social program costs, education and the cost of incarceration we're already paying for the $20.00 lettuce labor.

So if you feel like coming after me with your "jobs Americans won't do" or "lettuce will cost $50 a head" take your spin somewhere else because it won't work with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration