Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,327,021 times

Advertisements

Nicet4: to run with your ball further; many a Yuppie would gladly pick lettuce under the guidelines you laid out @ $60 an hour. And; for only 4 months of work? Hell yeah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 04:05 PM

10,852 posts, read 15,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Nicet4: to run with your ball further; many a Yuppie would gladly pick lettuce under the guidelines you laid out @ $60 an hour. And; for only 4 months of work? Hell yeah!
Exactly the whole point I was making.

It's not about the job it's about the money.

They started with drywall and have moved into heavy carpentry, paving, cement work and even electrical wiring. A couple years ago I was on one project that had 800 workers at the peak and we estimated a full 50% of them were in this country illegally.

There was a story a while back where a meat packer was raided in Dubuque, Iowa carting off almost all the workers at one meat packing plant. After a few days the plant was totally restaffed but company management was complaining how they had to raise pay from $8 to $10 an hour to attract qualified help. I cried my eyes out for them.

I also know a lot of illegals they go to the same church I go to. I know many of them as hard working, honest people who are family men and lovely people and the sad thing is I know employers take advantage of them too. Lower wages, failure to adhere to wage hour laws and lack of safety on the job are three big issues I have. I've known some to work 60 hours and get paid straight time all the way through but who are they going to complain to?

A worker gets hurt on the job is he going to file a claim?

All of them I know are good people and, as I said, I see them at church with their families but then there are the criminals that cross the border and don't go to church.

I would like to see all illegals deported under one condition. When they leave they leave to go back to Mexico they leave with a $10,000 severance paid for by the company that illegally hired them. You'd see companies act more responsibly and without jobs they will not come.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:46 PM

50,877 posts, read 47,770,644 times
The reason the Illegal Mexican will do it is that to him compared to what he made in Mexico it is 50 bucks an hour. That is why their existence here can't be tolerated. It undercuts our wages. They are gaming the system by working here and sending money back where it is dirt cheap to live. The same example would be if Canada paid 75 bucks an hour and an American sent money back also getting paid under the table or with a stolen document affording them to work.

That is for the ones that actually still work and go home. We have a whole new scenerio of underground economies created by Ilegals that come here to game the system, have tax payer funded children and use the social service loopholes to the maximum. Only recently have City, State and Federal Govts recognized and gone public that those facts are true and costing the US tax payers an unbearable amount of burden.

Only a fraction of US Citizens benefit from directly hiring illegal labor, the rest of us pick up the tab and slack for health care, schooling and a plethora of other social services.

Amnesty no, enforcement yes.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 07-12-2009 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration