Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2015, 10:35 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,801,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...est-crime-rate

Idaho / crime Video: Guess Which County Has Idaho's Highest Crime Rate
I had a delightful chat with a young woman behind the counter of the gas station in Kingston when I filled up on the way through this past December. She went on about the meth problem in the area. Talked as if it were a huge problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 09:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,285,269 times
Default State wolf population above fed recovery levels

IDFG: State wolf population above federal recovery levels - Coeur d'Alene Press: Outdoors

Old 02-06-2015, 07:42 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,022,016 times
Idaho House committee introduces bill that would allow concealed guns without a permit

Read more here: Idaho House committee introduces bill that would allow concealed guns without a permit | Idaho Legislature | Idahostatesman.com

Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 AM

448 posts, read 815,411 times
I just saw that bill on another site. Of note, in Idaho it's already legal to carry concealed without a license (section 12, D) provided you are a) outside of city limits and b) not in a vehicle. This current bill would extend that to inside city limit (and presumably inside of vehicles as well.) This change would make Idaho a 'constitutional carry' state, joining Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont, and Wyoming, although Wyoming's is for Wyoming residents only. Oklahoma has a weird law where Oklahoma residents can not concealed carry without a license, but anyone from a state that can concealed carry without a license, can also do so in Oklahoma.

IIRC, Montana's laws are nearly identical to Idaho - open carry is legal, concealed carry legal when outside city limits.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:07 AM

7,393 posts, read 12,712,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
I just saw that bill on another site. Of note, in Idaho it's already legal to carry concealed without a license (section 12, D) provided you are a) outside of city limits and b) not in a vehicle. This current bill would extend that to inside city limit (and presumably inside of vehicles as well.) This change would make Idaho a 'constitutional carry' state, joining Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Vermont, and Wyoming, although Wyoming's is for Wyoming residents only. Oklahoma has a weird law where Oklahoma residents can not concealed carry without a license, but anyone from a state that can concealed carry without a license, can also do so in Oklahoma.

IIRC, Montana's laws are nearly identical to Idaho - open carry is legal, concealed carry legal when outside city limits.
Thanks for the clarification, but I got worried when I read the "vehicle" part. So I looked it up. Here's the exact wording:

Quote:
While in any motor vehicle, inside the limits or confines of any city, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon on or about his person without a license to carry a concealed weapon. This shall not apply to any firearm located in plain view whether it is loaded or unloaded. A firearm may be concealed legally in a motor vehicle so long as the weapon is disassembled or unloaded.
I was concerned about unloaded concealed weapons in a car, and that's apparently okay under the present law.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 AM

6,361 posts, read 7,801,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
Idaho House committee introduces bill that would allow concealed guns without a permit

Read more here: Idaho House committee introduces bill that would allow concealed guns without a permit | Idaho Legislature | Idahostatesman.com
I have to agree with the representative from Pocatello who states that some type of formal training would be a good idea. Carrying is a huge responsibility. To get my Utah CCW license, eight hours of training were required. Only a small portion of the class entailed weapon use, concealed carry methods, and actual shooting. Most of the class was teaching a certain mindset. How one has to always be aware of their surroundings and how to be calm and in control of their emotions, no matter what the situation. There are a lot of short-tempered hotheads out there. Hopefully, some type of training would teach them how to deescalate a potentially dangerous situation.

Then again, I did not grow up in the Idaho school system. If Idaho youngsters are trained in the proper care and feeding of weapons from an early age, (which I suspect most are), and how to control their emotions in unsettling situations, (probably less that we would believe), then I guess formal training isn't necessary.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:31 AM

448 posts, read 815,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Thanks for the clarification, but I got worried when I read the "vehicle" part. So I looked it up. Here's the exact wording:

I was concerned about unloaded concealed weapons in a car, and that's apparently okay under the present law.
Correct. Perhaps someone in law enforcement or the judicial system could clarify why being a vehicle changes the dynamic - requiring the weapon to be visible might have something to do with LEO safety.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:34 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,854,877 times
When you look at law enforcement officers attacked and killed in the line of duty, vehicle stops are a disproportionate percentage of incidents that turn fatal. So for officers, it's a time where we MOST need to have a heightened awareness of a person's state of being armed. But in Los Angeles...we just assumed anyone we stopped was potentially armed...you NEVER take your eyes off a vehicle stop.

But, further discussion of this issue should probably be its own thread, so we can continue the "news" purpose of this thread.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:15 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,285,269 times
Default Nice to see a program produce positive results

Plasma beams and metal dreams - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

Old 02-11-2015, 07:25 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,022,016 times
SANDPOINT — Northside Elementary has been ranked the 34th best elementary school in the country for its high state assessment test scores in reading, language and math by the online ranking organization The Best Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho