Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times

Advertisements

Nobody needs to make anything up, just read the reviews.

Kia Telluride Rakes In Profit as Customers Are Buying Them Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
It's clear you have some vested interest in this as all you do is come here and make up stuff and act as their personal cheerleader.

NOBODY can say they nailed it yet when they have virtually zero real world miles on any of these vehicles. Time will tell....

The long term durability of that powertrain is a major concern for those of us in the industry. The numbers don't lie. Doesn't matter what some journalist says after an hour's test drive. They simply have a weak motor that needs to be rev'd high to get peak torque and that is not ideal.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:52 AM

https://youtu.be/uR3uOu4zcKk

The Game Changer

Old 09-21-2019, 01:39 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Quote:
Mod cut.

The long term durability of that powertrain is a major concern for those of us in the industry. The numbers don't lie. Doesn't matter what some journalist says after an hour's test drive. They simply have a weak motor that needs to be rev'd high to get peak torque and that is not ideal.

I agree it annoying to have to rev to the sky for power, but good gearing typically solves that issue as well. Pretty sure the Explorer wont have to be revved as hard vs the Kia, but I think the main thing that will separate the 2 are typically in Fords you have to go to the up-level model to rally get what you want and the Kia and Hyundai will beat it out in the lower 35K models which is what most will end up buying.

I couldnt ever see myself paying $55k for a Ford Explorer or even a loaded Traverse, but I guess thats the insanity of modern car prices.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:35 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I agree it annoying to have to rev to the sky for power, but good gearing typically solves that issue as well. Pretty sure the Explorer wont have to be revved as hard vs the Kia, but I think the main thing that will separate the 2 are typically in Fords you have to go to the up-level model to rally get what you want and the Kia and Hyundai will beat it out in the lower 35K models which is what most will end up buying.

I couldnt ever see myself paying $55k for a Ford Explorer or even a loaded Traverse, but I guess thats the insanity of modern car prices.
You can use the axle ratio to fix the startability problem, but that means you end up with higher RPMs at cruise speed which negatively impacts fuel mileage. (Not to mention additional engine noise into the cabin.).

If you make an underpowered powertrain there is simply no fix for that unless you take shortcuts somewhere.

As far as Explorer vs Kia, those HP/Torque numbers I used were for the base models. The Explorer offers multiple engine options so the performance gap gets even bigger when you start using the higher end trims.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Nobody needs to make anything up, just read the reviews.

Kia Telluride Rakes In Profit as Customers Are Buying Them Loaded
I don’t care about reviews, I care about actual sales and so far these vehicles have underperformed. (Especially when you factor in the cannibalization of their existing products.)

I like how people try to talk specifics and nuts & bolts with you, and all you can do is respond with some random news article.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
I don’t care about reviews, I care about actual sales and so far these vehicles have underperformed. (Especially when you factor in the cannibalization of their existing products.)

I like how people try to talk specifics and nuts & bolts with you, and all you can do is respond with some random news article.
Are you afraid that the Kia is killing Explorer sales? You should be because it is

Old 09-21-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Are you afraid that the Kia is killing Explorer sales? You should be because it is
Not really, the new Explorer is not even at full production yet. They just started building them.

Why would we be celebrating some Korean company, anyway? They don’t let American companies (or Japanese or German companies for that matter) sell products in their country and I don’t know why we’d open our doors for them.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:56 PM

Can see both the Telluride and Palisade carving out a good portion of this class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post

Old 09-25-2019, 04:37 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
The concept from 2016 looks even better than the actual, but I am not familiar with the model to know if this was ever offered:

Though it does look like other makes.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:44 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
Both the Hyundai Palisade and Kia Telluride have problems with a vibration when driven between 65-75 mph. The vibration is there only on the AWD models and even so not on every vehicle.
Repair attempts include replacing the drive shaft and the transfer case and sometimes help sometimes not. If anyone is looking to purchase one, like myself, it would be good to wait a year until a permanent fix is in. I'm sure they will update all once they know what is the cause, but I'd rather don't deal with the hassle, especially since we don't need a new car yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia