Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 12:47 PM

7,513 posts, read 7,339,432 times

Advertisements

Propaganda?

Sales figures are sales figures just like various Kia models were called out, Kia is boosting production of the Telluride while the competitors are having declining sales.

Kia Can't Build Its New Luxury SUV Fast Enough

Ford Explorer, down 75,000 units, -25%.
Honda Pilot, down 25,000 units for the year, -15%.
Toyota Highlander, down 5,000 units, -2%.

My interest in Kia or the Telluride...nothing more than an auto enthusiast. Amazed at how far Hyundai, Genesis, and Kia have come. People use to laugh at their cars, but no more as they have met and surpassing the competition.

Glad to see others are as interested and impressed with Kia, Genesis, and Hyundai as I am.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:02 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,968,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Propaganda?

Sales figures are sales figures just like various Kia models were called out, Kia is boosting production of the Telluride while the competitors are having declining sales.

My interest in Kia or the Telluride...nothing more than an auto enthusiast. Amazed at how far Hyundai, Genesis, and Kia have come. People use to laugh at their cars, but no more as they have met and surpassing the competition.

Glad to see others are as interested and impressed with Kia, Genesis, and Hyundai as I am.
So all you can do is restate the same year over year #'s from your prior post and not address how the Telluride still sells far less than every other competitor. Ummm…..ok.

It's a shame you have this Kia love-fest going on, because as Americans none of us should be buying their products, anyway. Doesn't matter whether the cars are any good or not, but why should Americans buy products from a country who doesn't let other auto manufacturers sell there?

"Under 2018 KORUS revisions, U.S. automakers will be able to bring into South Korea 50,000 vehicles per automaker per year, up from 25,000 vehicles previously. South Korean Trade Minister Kim Hyun-chong said. Ford Motor Co and General Motors each shipped fewer than 10,000 vehicles from the United States to South Korea last year. “I don’t see a high chance of automakers expanding U.S. imports,” he said. "This is not a free trade, but a managed trade.”

The US should put the same restrictions on Korea when it comes to selling vehicles here.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:30 PM

5,519 posts, read 6,242,620 times
Kia employs over 15000 workers at it's West Point Ga Telluride assembly plant.

Largest employer in the county.

Buying USA vs buying off shore has been a blurred line for decades.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, we must now survive in a global economy. Dependency is a two way street.

Old 01-26-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Kia employs over 15000 workers at it's West Point Ga Telluride assembly plant.

Largest employer in the county.

Buying USA vs buying off shore has been a blurred line for decades.

Contrary to what some would have you believe, we must now survive in a global economy. Dependency is a two way street.
But we should not allow any country unlimited access to ours, when the same is not done in return.

In the auto business, everything between the US and Europe is generally pretty good and it goes both ways. Completely different scenario when you are talking about trade with Japan, Korea and China.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
But we should not allow any country unlimited access to ours, when the same is not done in return.

In the auto business, everything between the US and Europe is generally pretty good and it goes both ways. Completely different scenario when you are talking about trade with Japan, Korea and China.
I agree to a point, but in a perfect world we should eliminate trade barriers and allow the economy to dictate sales. That will never happen, so I'm just thankful we have those Korean generated jobs in Ga. otherwise they all go off shore.
You know, it might be a trade off for the two airbases and two naval bases we have in Korea. I don't know of any Korean military bases in the US..........yet!

Old 01-26-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I agree to a point, but in a perfect world we should eliminate trade barriers and allow the economy to dictate sales. That will never happen, so I'm just thankful we have those Korean generated jobs in Ga. otherwise they all go off shore.
I don't agree with that.

Think about it. 17M autos are sold in the US every year. If Kia was told to take a hike and leave the US there would still be 17M vehicles sold. All those lost Kia sales would just be spread out to the other automakers and while that may not help that county in Georgia, other plants in other areas of the US would be built or expanded by the other automakers.

Make it open and fair both ways and let the best man win. Nobody would argue about that.

Old 01-26-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I don't agree with that.

Think about it. 17M autos are sold in the US every year. If Kia was told to take a hike and leave the US there would still be 17M vehicles sold. All those lost Kia sales would just be spread out to the other automakers and while that may not help that county in Georgia, other plants in other areas of the US would be built or expanded by the other automakers.

Make it open and fair both ways and let the best man win. Nobody would argue about that.
So can we both agree to drop trade barriers and allow an open economy to rule the roost based on buyer choice?

Old 01-26-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
So can we both agree to drop trade barriers and allow an open economy to rule the roost based on buyer choice?
Absolutely.

Time for Korea to open their borders to everyone else. Then game-on. Until then, a Kia or Hyundai will never be in my driveway I can promise you that.

(And before someone blurts out the expected "well Ford and GM don't make vehicles people in Korea want" why don't you look how many sales Honda and Toyota have in Korea. Also look how many sales Hyundai/Kia have in Japan.)

Toyota and Honda combined sold less than 20,000 cars in Korea last year.

Hyundai/Kia sold ZERO cars in Japan last year.

https://www.marklines.com/en/statist...fig_japan_2019

Last edited by iamweasel; 01-26-2020 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: *

Old 01-27-2020, 06:45 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,720,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Propaganda?

And yet Toyota still sold more than 6 times as many Highlanders as Kia sold Tellurides. The Pilot sold 2 1/2 times as many Tellurides. The Explorer sold 3 times as many Tellurides. Interesting to note is that both the Highlander and Explorer were outgoing models meaning both were redesigned in 2020. Even if Kia sells as they build, they still won't even come close to those 3.

Old 01-28-2020, 06:23 AM

7,513 posts, read 7,339,432 times
Well they should as they are older vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And yet Toyota still sold more than 6 times as many Highlanders as Kia sold Tellurides. The Pilot sold 2 1/2 times as many Tellurides. The Explorer sold 3 times as many Tellurides. Interesting to note is that both the Highlander and Explorer were outgoing models meaning both were redesigned in 2020. Even if Kia sells as they build, they still won't even come close to those 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia