Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 03:03 PM

5,464 posts, read 6,074,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
They are probably afraid to let anyone drive that weak powertrain.
0-60 times in the 7 second range is not weak for an SUV/Crossover/minivan/soccer-mom-mobile......

Old 09-20-2019, 03:19 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,937,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
0-60 times in the 7 second range is not weak for an SUV/Crossover/minivan/soccer-mom-mobile......
Speak for yourself.

If you have an underpowered vehicle, the main ways to get acceleration to match your competitors is to use lighter (cheap quality) components or set an aggressive axle ratio which will adversely affect your fuel mileage. (Or use a transmission with more/deeper gears which they didn't do.)

If you take shortcuts on the engine & transmission you have to make up for it somewhere.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Speak for yourself.

If you have an underpowered vehicle, the main ways to get acceleration to match your competitors is to use lighter (cheap quality) components or set an aggressive axle ratio which will adversely affect your fuel mileage. (Or use a transmission with more/deeper gears which they didn't do.)

If you take shortcuts on the engine & transmission you have to make up for it somewhere.
I was speaking with facts. I assumed you meant acceleration, you are actually talking about the quality of the components, correct?

Interesting you already know that from a newly introduced product.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I was speaking with facts. I assumed you meant acceleration, you are actually talking about the quality of the components, correct?

Interesting you already know that from a newly introduced product.
I know a lot of things on products that haven't been introduced yet. I was working on a project this week for an upcoming 2023/2024 model year truck.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of things on products that haven't been introduced yet. I was working on a project this week for an upcoming 2023/2024 model year truck.
I have been looking for a new SUV type. The Telluride/Palisade platform interests me from the cargo space and AWD capability. The recent reports of vibrations from the AWD models has me treading cautiously at this point. I guess I remember Dad always saying NEVER buy the first year of a model. I don't have to have a new vehicle, so I may just wait a bit longer to see where all the dust settles.

Trying to stay in the 45 to 55K range is also difficult at times with some of the really nice choices out there.

Old 09-20-2019, 03:52 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,149,339 times
Quote:
They are probably afraid to let anyone drive that weak powertrain.
Since when is 291HP weak??? If geared properly and some low end torque, its way more than enough. Very few will being doing 0-60 in a mid to full sized SUV on the regular. The auto magazines have people obsessed with 0-60 and dont really comment as much as they should on midrange and around town acceleration or highway passing.

Can have both worlds. Its either tall gearing and better MPG with less performance or great performance and less mpg.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Since when is 291HP weak??? If geared properly and some low end torque, its way more than enough. Very few will being doing 0-60 in a mid to full sized SUV on the regular. The auto magazines have people obsessed with 0-60 and dont really comment as much as they should on midrange and around town acceleration or highway passing.

Can have both worlds. Its either tall gearing and better MPG with less performance or great performance and less mpg.
Torque is far more important than horsepower, and the Kia has 262 ft/lb at 5,200 RPM.

The Explorer is 310 ft/lb at 3,000 RPM. (Plus offers more engines that are even more powerful.)

That’s a major difference, not to mention the Kia is also short 2 gears in the transmission. Low power + fewer deep-end gears + a high torque curve is a bad, bad combo. For the Kia to keep-up you’ll have to wind the crap out of it. Drive one of these with 4 people and luggage and the performance gap widens even more.

Physics is physics. You’ve got a pile of metal riding on 4 pieces of rubber. If one can’t generate forward momentum like the other, the only way to compensate is to take shortcuts elsewhere. Kia was probably focused on becoming the price leader so this was one way to get there. Time will tell if that works for them.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I have been looking for a new SUV type. The Telluride/Palisade platform interests me from the cargo space and AWD capability. The recent reports of vibrations from the AWD models has me treading cautiously at this point. I guess I remember Dad always saying NEVER buy the first year of a model. I don't have to have a new vehicle, so I may just wait a bit longer to see where all the dust settles.

Trying to stay in the 45 to 55K range is also difficult at times with some of the really nice choices out there.
Just depends....in this case the main worry for me is Kia never really built a large SUV before, (Even in other countries.). That means they are learning on the fly.

If a new Pilot came out this year, I would not be as afraid of that since they have prior experience in the segment and have “lessons learned” to apply to the next model.

It really takes until the 3rd generation of most models before you really nail it. That’s because when Gen 1 is launched, work begins on Gen 2 almost immediately but there are few lessons learned from Gen 1 at that time. (Since it’s only been out a year or so.)

When development of Gen 3 starts, you have a full cycle of Gen 1 data to analyze and incorporate into the design of Gen 3.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:55 AM

7,503 posts, read 7,208,862 times
The reviews have continued to convey it acurrately, Kia nailed it, engine and all.

Quote:
Just depends....in this case the main worry for me is Kia never really built a large SUV before, (Even in other countries.). That means they are learning on the fly.

If a new Pilot came out this year, I would not be as afraid of that since they have prior experience in the segment and have “lessons learned” to apply to the next model.

It really takes until the 3rd generation of most models before you really nail it. That’s because when Gen 1 is launched, work begins on Gen 2 almost immediately but there are few lessons learned from Gen 1 at that time. (Since it’s only been out a year or so.)

When development of Gen 3 starts, you have a full cycle of Gen 1 data to analyze and incorporate into the design of Gen 3.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
The reviews have continued to convey it acurrately, Kia nailed it, engine and all.
Mod cut.

The long term durability of that powertrain is a major concern for those of us in the industry. The numbers don't lie. Doesn't matter what some journalist says after an hour's test drive. They simply have a weak motor that needs to be rev'd high to get peak torque and that is not ideal.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-21-2019 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia