Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times

Advertisements

They all try to get out of paying for warranty repairs if they think they can. I recently learned GM stopped offering the 100k powertrain warranty on their vehicles, surely there was a reason for that decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Did read it duh!

That was my first and last korean car.

Back to the American and Japanese cars...
I'm sure it's already been said many many times, but I'll add that every single ad and sticker I've ever seen since Hyundai and Kia started doing the 100,000 warranty clearly states that it's for the powertrain.

It's funny that people still think these cars are crap and throw away. I wouldn't exactly call 173,000+ fairly trouble free miles throw away. It drove the same as the day I purchased it. Solid not rattles or squeeks. I listed it for a few hundred under bluebook and had nearly 20 people contact me within 24 hours. Not including scammers. I sold it the next day.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I've met a few people that were not happy with Kia or Hyundai, when they needed warranty work done. I think part of the reason is there are people that do not understand what powertrain means. They are not really sure what is covered, and what is not when powertrain warranty is mentioned. I think its similar to people that show up at dealers with an add. That says a new Kia for $100 and some dollars a month. The word lease has been left off the add or is in some area printed so small the person doesn't see it. Its a form of marketing to attrack people to buy certain cars. That doesn't it make it right or responsible marketing. It works for the dealers and automakers, but not always for the person buying the cars.

MY advice is for anyone buying the Kia or Hyundai and attracked by the 100000 mile warranty. Really go over exactly what is covered by the warranty and what is not. If you still don't understand make sure you research on the internet, or with a person that can really explain it completely.

Personally I think its understandable that there are people confused, by the 100000 mile warrant on these particular cars. That is exactly what Kia and Hyundai want them to be. Confused but interested. Attrack them with the 100000 mile warranty. Sell them the car and get them on the road and off the lot.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:42 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They all try to get out of paying for warranty repairs if they think they can. I recently learned GM stopped offering the 100k powertrain warranty on their vehicles, surely there was a reason for that decision.
Just learned this is for Buick only. Don't wanna get flamed here!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM

52 posts, read 124,394 times
Who drives Kia's

Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,948,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Personally I think its understandable that there are people confused, by the 100000 mile warrant on these particular cars. That is exactly what Kia and Hyundai want them to be. Confused but interested. Attrack them with the 100000 mile warranty. Sell them the car and get them on the road and off the lot.
Actually that is not true. The cars come with warranty documentation that clearly specifies what is covered.

The problems and ******* seem to come from simple ignorance on the part of both sales people and owners.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Just learned this is for Buick only. Don't wanna get flamed here!
It's not just Buick, but Cadillac as well. Chevy and GMC retain the 5 year / 100k mile powertrain. The new powertrain on Buick and Cadillac is 6 years and 70k miles. The reason for the change was to bring both of those brands more inline with what their competitors offer:

Brand.............bumper-to-bumper........powertrain
Chevy/GMC.....3/36k..........................5/100k (better then most mainstream)
Buick/Cadillac..4/50k..........................6/70k

Lexus.............4/50k..........................6/70k
Acura.............4/50k..........................6/70k
Infiniti............4/50k..........................6/70k

BMW..............4/50k..........................4/50k
Audi..............4/50k..........................4/50k
Mercedes.......4/50k..........................4/50k

The reason I have heard cited is one based on customer perception and that many customers shopping those brands value the extra year of coverage more then the additional miles.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Did consider at some point, but besides that I don't like the way they look, I mostly hate the way they handle. This goes for both Kia & Hyundai.

They are typical "economical appliances" for people who only care to get from A to B at minimum cost, nothing more.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Did consider at some point, but besides that I don't like the way they look, I mostly hate the way they handle. This goes for both Kia & Hyundai.

They are typical "economical appliances" for people who only care to get from A to B at minimum cost, nothing more.

Actually their cars are not all that cheap anymore. Kia and Hyundai seem to have gone up in price thru the years as they improved on their cars. There are similar style American cars that are close to the same prices.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:19 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
I'm sure it's already been said many many times, but I'll add that every single ad and sticker I've ever seen since Hyundai and Kia started doing the 100,000 warranty clearly states that it's for the powertrain.

It's funny that people still think these cars are crap and throw away. I wouldn't exactly call 173,000+ fairly trouble free miles throw away. It drove the same as the day I purchased it. Solid not rattles or squeeks. I listed it for a few hundred under bluebook and had nearly 20 people contact me within 24 hours. Not including scammers. I sold it the next day.
I have an '07 Sonata with 178K miles on it .... still going strong....... bought it in '09 with 30K.... Hyundai had to do two warranty repairs and were gracious about it.... no flak at all....

I am considering the Santa Fe for my next vehicle in a year or so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post

and this is bad because??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia