Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 05:46 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Actually their cars are not all that cheap anymore. Kia and Hyundai seem to have gone up in price thru the years as they improved on their cars. There are similar style American cars that are close to the same prices.
Yeah but they still drive like appliances, at least the Hyundais do. My Elantra Touring annoys me to no end with its numb steering, lackluster acceleration, brain-dead transmission, and stiff yet still imprecise suspension.

However, I'm over 100k miles on the thing and it's been absolutely bulletproof mechanically. I have to grant that.

Kia supposedly wants to be the sportier brand. I may check out the 2014 Forte 5-door, see how it compares to a Mazda3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 05:42 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,234,951 times
Not only do Hyundai Kia lie about their MPG & Power figures.

But their cars are slow, have sloppy handling, sloppy chassis, they're made from flimsy sheet metal. They're very unrefined and the interior parts are all flimsy.

And besides, they are no longer cheap..

No wonder their sales growth has ended, people discovered that flashy designs age terrible..

Old 03-16-2013, 01:11 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,564,228 times
So what you're saying is you've never driven one.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 AM

929 posts, read 2,725,240 times
Default What

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Please,don't ever buy a Kia. I thought the whole car was covered for 100,000 miles.
Nope,only the powertrain.
Really........???

Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 AM

929 posts, read 2,725,240 times
Default Kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants Fan View Post
Who drives Kia's
I agree with you.
BUT,
Many Many on the road down here in FL.
A lot of Snow Birds and Residents.
They buy them for the #1 reason.............Price.
And they end up with a decent car most of the time, no machine is perfect.
I wouldnt buy a Korean or a Asian vehicle, but that doesnt mean I think they are not good vehicles.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:52 AM

217 posts, read 326,218 times
My first two cars were a used '00 VW Passat and an '01 BMW 530i. Both cars I took great care of and both vehicles miserably failed me and broke down on me for various reasons whether it be engine or electrical related. Eventually I got fed up and committed myself to buying a new car knowing I'd have to take to the dealership for maintenance to abide by the warranty.

Last year I narrowed my search to 3 choices: Toyota Corolla Sport, Mazda 6 (SkyActiv engine), and a 2012 Kia Soul (+).

I never thought in a million years I would look at buying a Kia. But it was cheaper to buy than the other two cars, cheaper to maintenance, AND their dealership gave me a heck of at trade-in value for my BMW that I was barely able to keep alive.

I've had my 2012 Soul for over a year now and so far so good after 15,000 miles. I'm about 6'1" and it's shockingly very spacious inside for front and backseat passengers. I don't need much trunk space, but if necessary I can easily fold down the back seats. Love the free Sirius satellite I'm getting. I maintenance it around every 4,000 miles (can go up to 5,000 to abide by warranty). It's not a rally car but it gets me around Orlando decently enough. I got what I paid for. So far nothing is falling apart on my car (knock on wood). I forked over the extra grand or so to extend and strengthen my warranty. I don't care about trade-in value. I want to be able to drive this car for 7+ years. I'm not the only one thinking this either because the Soul has been a huge seller in Orlando.

Only thing to be wary of is that their MPG numbers were falsified. Instead of a combined 32/33 mpg, I'm at around 28 mpg (some I hear are worse). Kia do compensate the difference through a fuel redemption program that is more than fair.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,913,908 times
I don't own a Hyundai or Kia, but they look good and I see so many on the roads in NJ.

When Toyotas, Hondas and Datsuns were first introduced into the US market--they had many issues--most notably poor quality metals which would make the cars rust must faster. But they learned and improved and then they became the most reliable cars.

Now Hyundai is doing the same thing. They sucked for years, but today's Hyundai is equivalent of the the early-mid 90s Hondas and Toyotas. Very reliable--my guess.

Of course only time will tell. Toyota and Honda have forgotten their grass roots.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,948,491 times
Always take reading glasses when shopping for a car. The devil dwells in the fine print.
I drove a Toyota for 21 years. I miss that old reliable rig. We recently bought an Isuzu Trooper and I was expecting it to be a piece of trash because it was so cheap. It has been great so far but my next newer rig I plan on buying soon will most likely be a Toyota and I will get an extended warranty if I can.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,717,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0psimathia View Post
I drive a Kia Rio. I love that car. It's so luxurious.
Troll - fake profile

Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,913,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0psimathia View Post
I drive a Kia Rio. I love that car. It's so luxurious.
Okay u r being sarcastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia