Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 02:51 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't like the way this thread was going in the first few pages.
I didn't understand the negative posts to me.
I actually never said I didn't keep receipts,I just said they are required.
And yes,1200 dollars is what the dealership charges for the service,plus I cannot go anywhere else.
I spoke with the dealership and they told me the powertrain warranty is in effect,but then I read the warranty info posted on Kia's website,so now I really don't know.
Using the link provided earlier to an estimator, finding a zip code for Cherry Hill, NJ, (as this was a place mentioned), I plugged in the numbers for my Kia and the 60,000 mile service came out to $238-349. Where are you getting this $1200 from?

Oh and just for giggles, I also plugged that same information in using my old zip code in Miami and the cost came out to $211-314 so while Cherry Hill, NJ may be a little more expensive than Miami, it is not FOUR TIMES as expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Using the link provided earlier to an estimator, finding a zip code for Cherry Hill, NJ, (as this was a place mentioned), I plugged in the numbers for my Kia and the 60,000 mile service came out to $238-349. Where are you getting this $1200 from?

Oh and just for giggles, I also plugged that same information in using my old zip code in Miami and the cost came out to $211-314 so while Cherry Hill, NJ may be a little more expensive than Miami, it is not FOUR TIMES as expensive.
You might be going by the numbers on that site... but you don't know anything about Cherry Hill, NJ. You can generally expect everything to be 3 times as expensive (income included) as Miami.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
The 60,000 mile service,I was talking about the cost.
No,I didn't think they covered that.
The 60,000 is the one where they change the timing belt/service the car. It ran me $300 range....

Old 10-31-2011, 07:34 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
I always hear about timing belt changes that are only a few hundred dollars, but like the OP, I have never encountered one at that rate. That service must be indexed by area, since even the independent mechanics are only about 30% less expensive than the dealerships, at least those with whom I have dealt, but I tend to shop for quality work, which is not always at the lowest price.

I know someone with a Sportage who was quoted a bit more than $1200 for the 60k service, in Northern Virginia, and had Kia complete the service because they were afraid of warranty repercussions as they intend to keep the vehicle to the 100k mark. From what I recall, on certain Kias, that price is not too far out of line as to what the dealerships charge, at least those with which I am familiar. I called around when my friend got that quote, and one of them itemized the expenses, and the timing belt alone was over $500.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-31-2011, 08:19 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I always hear about timing belt changes that are only a few hundred dollars, but like the OP, I have never encountered one at that rate. That service must be indexed by area...
Last one I had done, including the tow, was $265.
That was in Ojai (Ventura County) Ca.
Not exactly a low priced area.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You might be going by the numbers on that site... but you don't know anything about Cherry Hill, NJ. You can generally expect everything to be 3 times as expensive (income included) as Miami.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Last one I had done, including the tow, was $265.
That was in Ojai (Ventura County) Ca.
Not exactly a low priced area.
Including the water pump? Wow. I think that I am including elements of timing belt service like the tensioner and water pump, not to mention fairly expensive labor rates, and that's why any timing belts I have had done, or that I know of in the family, were much more expensive.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-01-2011, 12:13 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Those prices are way,way off. Plus,I'm talking about getting the service at the dealership.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Including the water pump? Wow.
No. specifically NOT including the water pump as it's rarely needed.
Nor the other bits and bobs.

Do you always move the goal posts like this? Tsk.

otoh... if/when the water pump needs to be replaced?
yeah, lay out the extra $$ for the timing belt (and the serpentine too).

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 11-01-2011 at 04:39 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 07:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,675,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
This.

If they require a manufacturer specific part, they have to provide it for free.
Oy Vey...it's not all that hard to get around that provision. They can't "require" you to use only "their" parts. However, they can require you to use parts that meet very specific guidelines. For instance they can require that you only use a 5W20 semi-synthetic. They can require you to use filters that filter down to a certain micron level or use a particular kind of medium. This is not illegal. Also, they all have these guidelines and recommendations, but Hyundai is the one with a zeal for using this as leverage on warranty claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ummm...no.

United States COL = 100

.........................Cherry Hill, NJ............Miami, FL
Overall................128........................ ..115
Food...................109........................ ..111
Housing................164........................ ..138
Utilities................125...................... ....91
Transportation.......101.........................1 13
Health...................111...................... ..103
Miscellaneous..........117........................ .105

Overall, Cherry Hill will cost you about 10% more than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia