Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
On some models the water pump is driven by the timing belt. If access is labor-intensive, it only makes sense to replace the water pump during the scheduled timing belt replacement. Otherwise you'll be paying for the same labor twice within a relatively short period of time, and if the water pump leaks in the meantime your new belt might be ruined as well. In these cases, the shop that recommends this is trying to save you money, not cost you money.
For most cars yes since they require timing belt replacements about every 100k miles. However Kia/Huyndai timing belts need to be replaced every 60k miles so it doesn't make sense to replace the water pump every time. I can see every other time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM

302 posts, read 296,169 times
I have a 2004 Sonata (LX V6) that I bought new off the lot in 2003. Aside from regular oil changes, brakes and belt change at around 60k, it has NEVER seen the inside of a dealership or mechanic's garage. I am about to hit 130k miles. It has literally been the most reliable car I've ever owned..and I've owned A LOT of cars. I mean NOTHING has gone wrong with it...it's almost weird. The interior still looks brand new.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:26 PM

215 posts, read 351,313 times
It is the cheap parts they use when building them. A mechanic I know hates to work on them. Everything gets real brittle way to early he says which just adds to the original problem.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:19 PM

25 posts, read 24,188 times
I said:
Quote:
Same thing with oil changes and coolant changes. The dealership will always try and do these during scheduled maintenance, but normally, the scheduled maintenance only requires a check of those items.
You said:
Quote:
Okay............
I say: !!!

For my KIA, the manufacturer known as KIA recommends only an Inspection of the coolant during every scheduled maintenance through 150K miles. There are 11 'scheduled maintenances' for my KIA throughout that 150K mile span.

Are you telling me you would get your coolant replaced 11 times just because the dealer says it's a good idea? Your dealer and his lovely waterfront vacation home thank you!

As for oil, it isn't even specifically listed as 'scheduled maintenance.' It says to replace it every 7,500 miles.

If your scheduled maintenance appointment happens to coincide with when you NEED an oil change, go for it. But maybe you had an oil change at 29,000. Would you have it done again at 30K just because the dealer recommends it??? Your dealer and his cigarette boat thank you!

The manufacturer recommends that these things be inspected during scheduled maintenance. The dealer should look at the oil, test the coolant. If there is a problem, that is when you do something. You should never let the dealer perform any work that they just want to, such as changing coolant or oil, "just because." There needs to be a reason for it: you're near 7,5000 miles on your oil, your coolant has tested as ineffective. "Just because" the vehicle is in for scheduled maintenance is not a good enough reason to pay them to provide an unnecessary service.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,958,567 times
For every complaint about a car (doesn't matter which brand, model or make) there are thousands if not more people that have no problems with that car.

Most (not all) problems with cars are the result of the car owner thinking or believing that someone else is always responsible for their problems.

While some cars have faults or defects in design or manufacturing, that doesn't account for most complaints.

Someone has a problem and posts it on the Internet in some forum. Wanna bet that single post is then reported, copied and pasted and recited thousands of times?

Start tracking some of the complaints about things and you can usually find that the source(s) for the complaints aren't that many compared to the number of products sold. Works that way with cars too.

Most people do not follow preventative and routine maintenance schedules for their cars. Find out for yourself and shop around for a used car and see how many people have their service records showing they maintained the car according to manufacturers recommendations. Sure, we can all say that those schedules are designed to shovel money into someone else's pockets but then those are the people with problems, mostly.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 6,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Not only do Hyundai Kia lie about their MPG & Power figures.

But their cars are slow, have sloppy handling, sloppy chassis, they're made from flimsy sheet metal. They're very unrefined and the interior parts are all flimsy.

And besides, they are no longer cheap..

No wonder their sales growth has ended, people discovered that flashy designs age terrible..
I'm guessing you haven't read Motortrend's COTY article for 2014? The Kia Forte exceeded its highway mpg by 9. It also had a 0 to 60 in the 7 second range with an automatic. As for the rest, Kia handled the fuel economy deal very well and frankly other companies lie about their mpg too. Yes, they are no longer cheaper priced but they are better than ever and easily out equip their competition for the same price. I think you need to investigate before you go rattling on about cars you clearly just saw the price tag of and nothing more.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamosgp View Post
My first two cars were a used '00 VW Passat and an '01 BMW 530i. Both cars I took great care of and both vehicles miserably failed me and broke down on me for various reasons whether it be engine or electrical related. Eventually I got fed up and committed myself to buying a new car knowing I'd have to take to the dealership for maintenance to abide by the warranty.

Last year I narrowed my search to 3 choices: Toyota Corolla Sport, Mazda 6 (SkyActiv engine), and a 2012 Kia Soul (+).

I never thought in a million years I would look at buying a Kia. But it was cheaper to buy than the other two cars, cheaper to maintenance, AND their dealership gave me a heck of at trade-in value for my BMW that I was barely able to keep alive.

I've had my 2012 Soul for over a year now and so far so good after 15,000 miles. I'm about 6'1" and it's shockingly very spacious inside for front and backseat passengers. I don't need much trunk space, but if necessary I can easily fold down the back seats. Love the free Sirius satellite I'm getting. I maintenance it around every 4,000 miles (can go up to 5,000 to abide by warranty). It's not a rally car but it gets me around Orlando decently enough. I got what I paid for. So far nothing is falling apart on my car (knock on wood). I forked over the extra grand or so to extend and strengthen my warranty. I don't care about trade-in value. I want to be able to drive this car for 7+ years. I'm not the only one thinking this either because the Soul has been a huge seller in Orlando.

Only thing to be wary of is that their MPG numbers were falsified. Instead of a combined 32/33 mpg, I'm at around 28 mpg (some I hear are worse). Kia do compensate the difference through a fuel redemption program that is more than fair.
I agree. I own a 2011 Soul and they're very spacious cars. I'm 6'3" so needless to say, headroom is a must. My fuel economy is similar to yours, around 27-29.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2bHam View Post
I'm guessing you haven't read Motortrend's COTY article for 2014? The Kia Forte exceeded its highway mpg by 9. It also had a 0 to 60 in the 7 second range with an automatic. As for the rest, Kia handled the fuel economy deal very well and frankly other companies lie about their mpg too. Yes, they are no longer cheaper priced but they are better than ever and easily out equip their competition for the same price. I think you need to investigate before you go rattling on about cars you clearly just saw the price tag of and nothing more.
I've driven Hyundais, owned one for 4 years up until this past November, he knows what he's talking about. They always feel slower than their HP ratings. They're definitely tinnier and more unrefined. Some people might not care about that, but others of us do, very much.

I'll stick with my Mazda3, it out-drives any Kia or Hyundai product any day of the week.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:40 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
They always feel slower than their HP ratings.
How could you possibly accurately estimate HP by feel? Way too many factors. Power to weight ratio, torque curve, coefficient of drag, parasitic drag, temperature, elevation, humidity. My 2002 Santa Fe was overrated by something like 8 HP. I can tell you from experience from data logging and chassis dyno time that it is unlikely you are going to notice 8 HP at the crank.

Many auto manufactures have been sued over overrated HP rating including Mazda.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20030909/SUB/309090720/mazda-overstates-u.s.-rx-8s-power-offers-buyback

Old 04-12-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINTZZ View Post
yeah what makes it a scam since JP powerhouse name Hyundai the number one warranty
They still have the number one warranty.

60/60,000 basic

120/100,000 powertrain

Pretty much unmatched by competitors. I'm still trying to figure out how a warranty isn't a sales tactic. Hey Atleast they have a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia