Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 06:22 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times

Advertisements

I had a Hyundai Santa Fe about 6 years ago. The advertised 100,000 warranty was indeed a scam. I don't remember the details, but they tacked an extra cost onto the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:50 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
How could you possibly accurately estimate HP by feel? Way too many factors. Power to weight ratio, torque curve, coefficient of drag, parasitic drag, temperature, elevation, humidity. My 2002 Santa Fe was overrated by something like 8 HP. I can tell you from experience from data logging and chassis dyno time that it is unlikely you are going to notice 8 HP at the crank.

Many auto manufactures have been sued over overrated HP rating including Mazda.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20030909/SUB/309090720/mazda-overstates-u.s.-rx-8s-power-offers-buyback
Acceleration, responsiveness to throttle. you can feel HP and particularly torque, through the seat of your pants if nothing else. The Koreans consistently feel like they're producing less power than their ratings. Some manufacturers actually feel like they're producing more power than their ratings (and some manufacturers actually underrate their engines). Hyundai and Kia are probably being 100% honest about their HP ratings...at the flywheel, just like the SAE Net specs suggest. But I bet their cars have more parasitic drag on the drivetrain than other manufacturers, so you end up with less HP and torque at the wheels.

That's my theory, I haven't done any dyno tests. But it probably explains it. Of the things you mentioned, parasitic drag is the only one that's validly different between manufacturers. Torque curve is part of "power" and everything else can be normalized.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
This could be a case for Obama.
Especially (and only) if many minorities have purchased such automobiles.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 AM

861 posts, read 1,336,015 times
It's a scam because you don't know how to read??

Old 04-14-2014, 09:31 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
It's a scam because you don't know how to read??
That's usually the case.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,984,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Please,don't ever buy a Kia. I thought the whole car was covered for 100,000 miles.
Nope,only the powertrain.
Don't buy a car without reading the fine print and you will be fine. I managed Kia dealerships for a number of years, and we asked that you read everything before you signed it. If you didn't shame on you. How could you hand someone 25K dollars without knowing what you were getting into?

Old 02-25-2015, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,401 times
Ask about the new kia battery warranty. 12 months/12000 miles. Which ever comes first. Replacement KIA battery the same, 12/12

Old 03-12-2015, 04:15 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times
After the 3rd speeding ticket in my 07 VW GTI I went to the local Kia Dealer and asked to see the slowest car they had on the lot. The salesman took me to a silver 2010 Kia Soul. I drove it, and it was slow enough for my needs, so I bought one.
The sticker is 24 city, but I get 25 in Orange County. Like I said, it is slow. Not a single ticket yet. No idea about freeway mpg, we seldom drive the freeways, because it has the tendency to become a huge parking lot here in Southern California.
I changed the battery after 4.5 years, and the oil changes were $ 30, at every 3,500 miles, at the dealer. I had about 8 of those, to keep the warranty. I did change the coolant myself after 2 years and also the transm. fluid, just cheap insurance.
30 K miles, not a single problem. I'd buy another tomorrow if gets stolen.
I will replace the brake pads front and rear, myself, they aren't due yet, but I want new brake pads before we move to Paradise.
The Soul is like a small SUV without the high price and poor gas mileage. Great visibility. Easy to park.

I did work as a Honda tech for 22 years, and previously a year on Toyotas, and another year on Ferrari/Lamborghini.
On a Countach (remember that car, old timers?) it takes almost a week to do a valve clearance adjustment, with the shims they had, back in the late seventies.
The Ferraries needed valve guides and rings at 30 K.
Once my wife's V6 Honda Accord gets tired we'll get another Kia or Hyundai, if I live that long.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:55 PM

3,331 posts, read 2,136,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I've never heard of a vehicle that had bumper-to-bumper 100,000 mile warranty.
You can add the option to extend the b2b to 100k for new Hyundais for around a 1k at the time of purchase. You can even go beyond that if you select certain options, and the pricing is always negotiable.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:29 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I would buy a Kia, oR Hyundai over anything that has spewed out of Detroit in the past 40+ years. Kias are well built, reliable cars. I bought my final Detroit POS in 1990. It had a warranty THAT WAS USED MANY TIMES. When the warranty went out, I couldn't afford the repairs, so I dumped the car. The best warranty is the one you don't have to use. Both my 18 year old Nissan truck, and my six year old Toyota needed NO warranty work. The Toyota has only needed a battery and new tires. The old truck has had less repairs in 18 years than my final detroit POS had init's first month! True, the warranty covered that junker, but that didn't alleve the inconvenience, and bad feelings I had toward the dealer, and the zone representatives. They were in terminal denial. They lost a customer to the Asian brands forever!
Since I wrote this nearly four years ago, I still have both vehicles. The Corolla has had ZERO problems, and my 22 year old truck just got a new radiator and a water pump. Not bad for such old vehicles. When I drove Detroit crap I had to trade in quite often to avoid the expense and inconvenience. I have no want or desire for a new vehicle to take the place of what I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia