Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 AM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
the cost at the dealership is ALOT more than at an independent. and looking it up on a computer is not necessarily true, I bought both my Kia's in Nevada... moved to Florida... nothing in the computer... I had to call the Nevada dealer to verify the maintenance

the maintenance schedule is costly and a joke... especially the transmission fluid change considering that the car has a sealed transmission
Its the same with Nissan. Costly. Transmission fluid change very expensive. As for the computer. I experienced what you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 01:54 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
the cost at the dealership is ALOT more than at an independent. and looking it up on a computer is not necessarily true, I bought both my Kia's in Nevada... moved to Florida... nothing in the computer... I had to call the Nevada dealer to verify the maintenance

the maintenance schedule is costly and a joke... especially the transmission fluid change considering that the car has a sealed transmission
Costly? I've not experienced that. The transmission fluid change is only at high mileage.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:34 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
The VW GTi with the DCT transmission needs a fluid change at 4 years or 40 K miles, whichever happens first. Cost at a dealer is over $ 400. I looked up the procedure on Youtube and parts alone cost $ 130 + - for me, as a former Honda tech, the procedure is needlessly complicated.

On our 2018 Hyundai Kona with a similar transmission they call for an inspection at 48 and 96 months, or at 24, 48, and 72 K miles. Inspection isn't replacement - more than likely just a quick fluid level check.

For a minor service we pay around $ 42, synthetic oil, rotation, brakes checked etc. If that is expensive, check the price of donuts lately.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
My sister traded her 2015 Soul with 137k miles yesterday and got a paltry $2700 for it. It was drinking a quart of oil every 1k miles.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:54 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
That's a lot of miles for a 2015. The cheap way dealers operate on tradeins, I'm surprised she got $2700. The car will probably go to the auction,
but will sell for more. Did she buy another Soul?

Old 01-23-2019, 08:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
That's a lot of miles for a 2015. The cheap way dealers operate on tradeins, I'm surprised she got $2700. The car will probably go to the auction,
but will sell for more. Did she buy another Soul?
She bought a 2017 Traverse. I recommended a Highlander, but she couldn’t find one in her price range.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My sister traded her 2015 Soul with 137k miles yesterday and got a paltry $2700 for it. It was drinking a quart of oil every 1k miles.
She drove that car hard. Under those circumstances, I think she got a good deal.

The average 2015 would have about 55k miles on it. She tanked her value.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,738,739 times
We sold our 2010 Kia Soul in 2018 for $ 6,900. It was in excellent condition with low miles. I put an ad on Craiglist with four pictures and an hour later later the first caller got it for cash money.
I like to get a new car every 7 - 8 years otherwise I could have kept it for another 10 years and be happy.
It didn't have heated seats and the rearview camera, that was my biggest wish in the new car - 2018 H. Kona.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:

I had similar warranty issues with GM, and the dealer was pretty much an a-hole. The dealer I bought the car from mailed proof of the 39/39 extended warranty. Dealers can be real richards.

A sealed trans does not mean there is not mechanical wear. I typically change trans fluid every 30 thousand miles.

I keep all my receipts, they go in a 3-ring binder. That is your evidence. Don't depend on others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know if they still make STP engine treatment. Andy Granatelli is long gone. But I had a Rover that started to burn oil. IIRC I added about a pint of some pretty thick STP goo and the problem was solved.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I had similar warranty issues with GM, and the dealer was pretty much an a-hole. The dealer I bought the car from mailed proof of the 39/39 extended warranty. Dealers can be real richards.

A sealed trans does not mean there is not mechanical wear. I typically change trans fluid every 30 thousand miles.

I keep all my receipts, they go in a 3-ring binder. That is your evidence. Don't depend on others.

I don't know if they still make STP engine treatment. Andy Granatelli is long gone. But I had a Rover that started to burn oil. IIRC I added about a pint of some pretty thick STP goo and the problem was solved.
STP was nothing but a band aid it will not fix a vehicle with bad rings, it only mask the problem like all that stop leak products including radiator stop leak. It’s all snake oil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia