Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 10:30 AM

934 posts, read 1,939,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
For the majority of people reading this thread your car is the second largest major purchase you will make.

Why on Earth would one not ask relevant questions during the purchase of that car? Like what warranty does this car have? What are my responsibilities towards the maintenance?

How much money do you have to spend before you start paying attention and ask intelligent questions?
If you don't read warranties, and don't even keep receipts on car work, you have no business whining about it later. You bought your own trouble, lock stock and barrel. Maybe you will take something from this experience...or maybe not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No, they cannot. And if it happens every day, it's on account of consumers letting them get away with it because they don't understand their rights or have made a calculation that it's not worth fighting.
All they have to do is "prove" that the non-spec component caused the failure. It's not all that hard when we are talking about filters using various microns and construction processes or using a slightly different viscosity of oil or using synthetic when they called for semi, etc. It really is an uproad battle. Hey, maybe some people would have luck fighting it, but most hit an absolute brick wall. I just know that in general Hyundai is one of the worst to deal with for warranties. The best, believe it or not, are GM and Ford followed closely by Toyota.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,175,499 times
If they say you have to use a kia filter or fluid they have to pay for it.

It only needs to meet their requirements for filtration or be the correct type of fluid.
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post

What they state is that you have to use a Kia recommended/sold filter. What this means is that there are certain filtering levels/construction methods that they require you to use. Failure to do so can lead to a claim being denied. Everyone loves to hold up Magnuson-Moss, but it's not as easy as saying "Magnuson-Moss" at the service department and they will suddenly go, "oh, we can't fool this guy".

Say they require a filter that goes to 2 microns or something. Anything not 2 microns with the same filtering media is not OK to use. Same thing on engine oil. If they require a 5W20 semi-synthetic and you use something else, say a full synthetic instead, it can be grounds for denial.

It's not like all of them don't have these sorts of things, it's just that Hyundai has a special zeal for it. Why do people think this is so odd when Nissan does the same thing on the CVt warranties? You have to use the Nissan brand fluid or the warranties voided.

Maybe some of the confusion comes from the classification of the warranties. The Hyundai powertrain warranty is classed as an "extended limited warranty" which is different than the "full" bumper-to-bumper, they have different rules.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,175,499 times
Like I said."It only needs to meet their requirements for filtration or be the correct type of fluid."

They can recommend filters that you can use but if they say you HAVE TO use only their filter then they have to pay for it.

Quote:

It only needs to meet their requirements for filtration or be the correct type of fluid.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
If you don't read warranties, and don't even keep receipts on car work, you have no business whining about it later. You bought your own trouble, lock stock and barrel. Maybe you will take something from this experience...or maybe not.

I don't like the way this thread was going in the first few pages.
I didn't understand the negative posts to me.
I actually never said I didn't keep receipts,I just said they are required.
And yes,1200 dollars is what the dealership charges for the service,plus I cannot go anywhere else.
I spoke with the dealership and they told me the powertrain warranty is in effect,but then I read the warranty info posted on Kia's website,so now I really don't know.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:37 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,350,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't like the way this thread was going in the first few pages.
I didn't understand the negative posts to me.
I actually never said I didn't keep receipts,I just said they are required.
And yes,1200 dollars is what the dealership charges for the service,plus I cannot go anywhere else.
I spoke with the dealership and they told me the powertrain warranty is in effect,but then I read the warranty info posted on Kia's website,so now I really don't know.
So what are you saying...? What do you mean by Service?

I might have it confused but did you think that the warranty meant Kia would cover the larger scheduled maintenance, such as the 60k service?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
So what are you saying...? What do you mean by Service?

I might have it confused but did you think that the warranty meant Kia would cover the larger scheduled maintenance, such as the 60k service?
The 60,000 mile service,I was talking about the cost.
No,I didn't think they covered that.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:31 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Quote:
Like I said."It only needs to meet their requirements for filtration or be the correct type of fluid."

They can recommend filters that you can use but if they say you HAVE TO use only their filter then they have to pay for it.
This.

If they require a manufacturer specific part, they have to provide it for free.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:31 PM

120 posts, read 672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, the manufacturer pays the plaintiff's fees if they lose, so the usual economics of a civil suit do not apply. Manufacturers have a much stronger incentive to work with a consumer than under the normal "each side pays its own legal fees" scenario.
Now that is news to me, I didn't know that. However, even if I had known, the THREAT of having to pay for the attorney fees is probably just as big a deterrent as for sure having to pay them. Most people don't have the $$$ to put on the line in the event of a loss, but I'm not sure there is a better way to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia