Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 02:24 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,625,981 times

Advertisements

But you’re right looking at the 18z models coming in, they’ve shifted slightly more West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2023, 03:07 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,625,981 times
Mon 28Aug 5pEDT/4pCDT: Winds 70mph(110km/h), moving North at 8mph(13km/h), pressure 987mb.

Slight bump West in track, Watch/Warnings adjusted accordingly. NHC now with 120mph winds near center while 150miles offshore around 2amEDT Wed morning...leaves room for strengthening in that time before big bend landfall. Storm surge values for big bend up slightly to 8-12ft.

Old 08-28-2023, 04:16 PM

350 posts, read 195,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
You have more patience than I. I apologize if I misquoted.

I took a look back at his TikTok (6 minutes at most, more my attention span.) on 8/24 - and "Could we have a tropical storm on the west coast of FL? Absolutely and that's what I think is going to happen. If it stays over water long enough and takes a track more over to the Big Bend area then there's a chance it becomes a minimal hurricane".

Now again, I'm not blaming him. I'm saying that whatever is predicting the intensity of these storms is not taking into account the recent records for rapid intensification and the record high SSTs.
He's just answering hypotheticals. 6 days in advance. That's why there's a question mark.

Not sure why you want to fault this guy for being thorough reporting EVERYTHING that's "possible".

But he sure didn't guarantee anything.

So your opinion is the entire weather service business is not realizing something VERY IMPORTANT that YOU realize?

mmmm kay hahaha.

I don't have the patience either LOL.

Old 08-28-2023, 04:59 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Go away. Don't want to lose power, air conditioning or internet.
It's gonna be a nothing burger for you and me as long as it stays 80 miles or more offshore from me as the core heavy winds will not even get close to the coast unless it pulls a Charlie and dose a freaky hook a few hours before landfall.

I may get wind to 70mph in gust and i hope at least 5" of rain. I need 6" to be normal for this month since i have only had 2" total. You can bank on my pow wow going out around mid nite.

Forward speed will pick up later on Tuse so not enough time to blow up to a super cane with gust to 190mph or more. If the forward speed was super slow and the upper levels were perfect we would have seen a CAT5. This storm won't be super big since the strongest winds will stay 50 or mile offshore unless the track changes.

Never trust these systems until it is a beam of you and moving away.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Whatever forecasters use these days to predict intensity of storms needs to be re-examined. A few days ago local forecasters were saying it would be a TS, maybe a Cat 1 by the time it hit, now we're looking at 3. Wouldn't surprise me if it went to a 4 at the rate it's intensifying, those water temperatures are no joke.
No one can call these storms even a few hours out on tracks or how strong they can blow up into. Only i know what is gonna happen. Gonna be a nothing burger for you as well since you are well inland. Forward speed will be tooo fast for anything crazy on winds.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:12 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
No one can call these storms even a few hours out on tracks or how strong they can blow up into. Only i know what is gonna happen. Gonna be a nothing burger for you as well since you are well inland. Forward speed will be tooo fast for anything crazy on winds.
You're awfully confident. A little while ago, it was going to be the end of you. A few hours later and it's a nothing burger

Old 08-28-2023, 05:19 PM

138 posts, read 114,526 times
Doesn't need to be a "4 or 5" to inflict serious damage, considering these surges. This thing could intensify even greater than the predictions made and catch many sleeping. Water temps are perfect for intensification.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You're awfully confident. A little while ago, it was going to be the end of you. A few hours later and it's a nothing burger
I said it was a nothing burger a day ago bro unless it does something freaky like Charlie did. 110mph winds would take every house in my hood out. It would pull up a bowl of water 13ft high. But if it stays 80 miles offshore from me then i just gotta worry about no A/C as the power goes out if a gnat farts around here.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightTalker2022 View Post
Doesn't need to be a "4 or 5" to inflict serious damage, considering these surges. This thing could intensify even greater than the predictions made and catch many sleeping. Water temps are perfect for intensification.
Forward speed will be too fast as the dig down from the north grabs it. If the dig down would miss it then it could stall and blow up with gust over 190.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:54 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times

https://twitter.com/mikebettes/statu...0mu8-FgqQ&s=19
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes