Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 05:12 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
That doesn't really make much sense unless it's directly related to your IAQ product. On the really high filtration systems with the 5" media filter they hardly e ver need cleaning because the filter is so effcient at removing particulate.
Yes that's what we do have (the AprilAire media filters are definitely at least 5" thick) so I guess that explains them never needing to clean the coil: very little particulate matter in the air, and what there is, has to get through the fiberglass filter in the return box first, and whatever tiny bit gets past THAT is trapped by the 5" AprilAire media filter. And like I mentioned earlier, usually the year after a new AprilAire filter is put in, the tech says it still looks almost brand-new clean (I always ask because why spend $60 to replace the filter if it doesn't need to be??) Thanks so much for your help, BigJon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Yes that's what we do have (the AprilAire media filters are definitely at least 5" thick) so I guess that explains them never needing to clean the coil: very little particulate matter in the air, and what there is, has to get through the fiberglass filter in the return box first, and whatever tiny bit gets past THAT is trapped by the 5" AprilAire media filter. And like I mentioned earlier, usually the year after a new AprilAire filter is put in, the tech says it still looks almost brand-new clean (I always ask because why spend $60 to replace the filter if it doesn't need to be??) Thanks so much for your help, BigJon!

I must have overlooked the media filter thing earlier...I could have saved a lot of typing

Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
I was told by a house inspector not to use a furnace filter during the ac season to maximize air flow, is it ok to do that or will it harm my system? Thanks!

Old 08-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I was told by a house inspector not to use a furnace filter during the ac season to maximize air flow, is it ok to do that or will it harm my system? Thanks!
If you have a media filter there is no reason to have the furnace filter....if I understand you correctly.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 PM

I don't remember seeing other filters. It's just basically a regular woven filter that sits horizontally in my furnace system. He took it out and said not to use it in the summer months so we don't tax the ac.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM

97 posts, read 369,819 times
Hi BigJon3475,

Thank you so much for your advise. I would like to update you on our status with this bill and also have another AC related question, hope you can help me understand it.

The AC Company (owner) got very upset when I called to inquery their pricing break downs. Since the conversation can't carry on due to hostile attitudes, I hung up the phone. The Owner called back with a different # so I picked up the phone and he appologized to me and told me he's going to write down the entire bill because he wants to keep me as a customer, plus we still have warranty coverage with them.

Now the 2nd flr AC Thermostats is acting weired. I have set the temperature to 80 during day and night and I noticed for a few days now, the room temperature displayed on the unit is around 87. (My Thermostats is Honey well TH5000D
non programmable)
1. Does this sound normal to you? Shouldn't the display has 80 as the room temperature as well? I thought as soon as the temperature go beyond 80, the AC will start to work hard to bring the temperature down.
2. Does this mean the Thermostat went bad and I need to replace it or it means something else?
3. I change my AC filter every 3 months and the next one will be done at the end of this month.
4. I still have AC warranty with the builder/AC company, but I don't have confidence that they gonna do a decent job due to our previous encounter (having them written down the entire cost - they offered it themselves). I rather hire another electrican to do it, but not sure if this is necessary? What is your opinion on this?

thank you so much for all your help!!

Old 08-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I don't remember seeing other filters. It's just basically a regular woven filter that sits horizontally in my furnace system. He took it out and said not to use it in the summer months so we don't tax the ac.

So you only have one filter and he took it out saying not to use it in the summer months?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbi98 View Post
1. Does this sound normal to you? Shouldn't the display has 80 as the room temperature as well? I thought as soon as the temperature go beyond 80, the AC will start to work hard to bring the temperature down.
A thermostat is just an on/off switch. When it's set @ 80 and it's 81 or so the thermostat should kick the system on and start to cool the place. When it gets back to 79/80 then it should cut off and wait for the thermostat to rise again back to 81 or so. It's just an off switch.

Quote:
2. Does this mean the Thermostat went bad and I need to replace it or it means something else?
is the outside unit coming on when you set the thermostat below the actual temp.?

Quote:
3. I change my AC filter every 3 months and the next one will be done at the end of this month.
Check the filter no reason to wait if it's clogged. The amount of people, animals, outside air...ect...effects how long the filter last before needing changed....3 months is a minimum I would recommend and I would rather see it happen as needed....or continually checked.

Quote:
4. I still have AC warranty with the builder/AC company, but I don't have confidence that they gonna do a decent job due to our previous encounter (having them written down the entire cost - they offered it themselves). I rather hire another electrician to do it, but not sure if this is necessary? What is your opinion on this?

An electrician isn't an HVAC contractor. They could do the electrical part but unless they are trained in HVAC that part of it will be foreign to them.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
So you only have one filter and he took it out saying not to use it in the summer months?
Yes, of course I put a new filter in after we moved in thinking it was strange not to have one in place to keep junk out of the system. But in his inspection report he notes it's not necessary to have a filter in the summer months.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, of course I put a new filter in after we moved in thinking it was strange not to have one in place to keep junk out of the system. But in his inspection report he notes it's not necessary to have a filter in the summer months.

Okay well your evaporator coil is your filter then since it is lower than the dewpoint. It's equivalent to a merv 8 filter...check your local HVAC company to see how much it cost to clean the coil quarterly.....the filter will seem a far better option.

This is the point where I think home inspectors should stick to their knowledge base. In a situation like this I would ask the person that works on them more than the person that uses them.....up front no filter seems wonderful...lot's of air flow...nice cool temps..low power bills....for the first month....then every month after that it would increase substaionally.

I'm not yelling.....just things like that being told to people frustrates me. It doesn't come out of my or their pocket...but yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House