Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 10:54 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times

Advertisements

Actually we never mentioned it to the tech (it's always the same tech every year) because I never knew until now that air-handler coils required any cleaning. Next spring I will bring up the subject though, now that I know it's something that might one day be needed.

Since I have my service contract out, I actually read the ENTIRE thing and am amazed at what is NOT covered! Is this standard?

1. Loss or damage from fire, water, flood, windstorm, hail, lightning, earthquake, theft, riot, vandalism, misuse, abuse or wilful neglect (I realize this is standard)

2. Service required by or loss or damage from other external causes such as defective plumbing, water supply or power supply (again, no problem)

3. Services made mandatory by changes in regulations. (no prob)

4. Resetting of circuit breakers, switches, refinishing or replacement of any cabinet part or filters unless damaged as a result of component failure (okay)

5. Services made necessary as a result of tampering or changes or repairs made by others. (fair enough)

6. Does not cover ductwork, structural supports or other duct components which may deteriorate due to age, corrosion or rust. (aren't they supposed to not corrode or rust??)

7. The cleaning of evaporator coils is not covered, because the only reason they need to be cleaned is due to lack of proper maintenance of the filter system, this is the homeowners responsibility. (Huh?? I guess that's why they have never been cleaned?)

8. Adjusting air distribution is not covered. (why not? They installed the system in the first place)

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
6. Does not cover ductwork, structural supports or other duct components which may deteriorate due to age, corrosion or rust. (aren't they supposed to not corrode or rust??)
Like everything else it ages and deteriorates. Rigid duct not as much but if it's installed incorrectly or is not tuned properly rust can happen pretty quick. The air stream leaving the evaporator is very humid almost 80-90% RH during cooling season..maybe even slightly higher.

I occasionaly (once a week maybe sooner) turn my fan to the on position and allow the fan to run without the comp. cycling on so it dries everything out real good. I live in a humid climate though and the moisture builds up quickly during those humid days....it helps cut down on growths since growth needs moisture to thrive.

Quote:
7. The cleaning of evaporator coils is not covered, because the only reason they need to be cleaned is due to lack of proper maintenance of the filter system, this is the homeowners responsibility. (Huh?? I guess that's why they have never been cleaned?)
That doesn't really make much sense unless it's directly related to your IAQ product. On the really high filtration systems with the 5" media filter they hardly e ver need cleaning because the filter is so effcient at removing particulate.

Quote:
8. Adjusting air distribution is not covered. (why not? They installed the system in the first place)
Air balancing should be in the quote but if it wasn't in there when it was installed it would be hard to balance after the fact (although possible). This is mostly for zone systems because of the amount of time and knowledge needed to do it properly. It should be specified if one is going to get into air balancing...there are some companies that only do air balancing and do quiet well for themselves. http://www.acca.org/store/category.php?cid=2

Last edited by BigJon3475; 08-04-2008 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-04-2008, 01:35 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,235,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You probably have a large return leak. In almost any case even with extremely clean homes the filter should get dirty from just duct particulate and human debris like hair, skin....ect.

I would look real close at the return plenum and whatever ducts lead up to the air handler or furnace.

Thank you for the response.

It always seemed fishy to me because I always felt a filter would get dirty no matter what.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
Thank you for the response.

It always seemed fishy to me because I always felt a filter would get dirty no matter what.

Those hog hair filters are horrible but like you said in your case there isn't any other way. The first sign of a leaking return is the coil and fan motor/cage will be covered in all the dust and debris the filter should have caught.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Those hog hair filters are horrible but like you said in your case there isn't any other way. The first sign of a leaking return is the coil and fan motor/cage will be covered in all the dust and debris the filter should have caught.
Could someone without a/c experience like myself fix this? Or is it best left to a professional? It's sort of an unorthodox setup since a do it yourselfer installed this system.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Could someone without a/c experience like myself fix this? Or is it best left to a professional? It's sort of an unorthodox setup since a do it yourselfer installed this system.

Well I wouldn't sink to much money into anything...if you have a company out they are going to go through it completely and you will receive a bill comparable to just buying a new system.

See if you can follow the return lines and see if you can find leaks...take a piece of paper with you and put it over areas you think might leak....on a return it will pull the paper towards the leak...It wouldn't hurt either knowing this was a DIY thing to check supplies also for leaks.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Well I wouldn't sink to much money into anything...if you have a company out they are going to go through it completely and you will receive a bill comparable to just buying a new system.

See if you can follow the return lines and see if you can find leaks...take a piece of paper with you and put it over areas you think might leak....on a return it will pull the paper towards the leak...It wouldn't hurt either knowing this was a DIY thing to check supplies also for leaks.

The way this system is set up there are three vents where the a/c comes out, then one bigger vent near the floor that houses the filter. If you open up that vent and take the filter out it looks like you can crawl in there and even stand up, all three a/c vents work from up above in there to. So I would probably be able to find the leak inside there right? And if so what would I need to repair it?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM

Without seeing it I don't really like giving any recommendations on a exact course of action. If you could take some pics it might be easier to comment on.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Without seeing it I don't really like giving any recommendations on a exact course of action. If you could take some pics it might be easier to comment on.
Would it be OK to PM you some pics later this week? And what kind of pics would you need, the vents only or the unit outside as well?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Would it be OK to PM you some pics later this week? And what kind of pics would you need, the vents only or the unit outside as well?
yeah that's fine.

Take as many as you can of the return inside the home and in the crawl space if possible. I would just like to get a better idea as what we are talking about since DIY doesn't really follow standards or codes most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House