Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:22 PM

29,920 posts, read 39,583,854 times

Advertisements

No. It's an enclosed system. The only way you inhale freon is if you have a leak in your evaporator coil or the line sets that run through your home. It's not likely but possible. The only real major threat to that is suffocation which again isn't likely considering the massive volume most home have and the amount it would take to displace the oxygen in your home to a point of suffocation. It can happen though.

Your A/C uses a chemical compound which has a saturation point well below and above ambient temperatures which allows absorption of heat. Through manipulation of pressures you control the saturation points of the refrigerant. When used in conjunction with everything else your system has it uses evaporation and condensation to absorb and reject heat. Condensing gas are rejecting heat and evaporating liquids are absorbing heat. The evaporator (inside coil) absorbs the heat and the condenser (outdoor coil) rejects the heat. Some units are packaged units and have both coils outside and are connected to your duct work. Heat pumps just reverse the cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:14 AM
K1F

12 posts, read 34,948 times
wow!! Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

So..... how can oxygen be produced? if we have the AC on all the time?.... How should i check to see if there is a freon leak? is there such device? for safety?

Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 08:47 AM

905 posts, read 3,464,601 times
Hi BigJon,

I have a question about figuring out the price of a new system for an old house with no duct work. Is there a general rule of thumb in trying to "guesstimate" the price of a new system? Thanks

Old 07-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1F View Post
wow!! Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

So..... how can oxygen be produced? if we have the AC on all the time?.... How should i check to see if there is a freon leak? is there such device? for safety?

Thanks
Newer systems and many older system have safety switches, pressure switches, that cut the unit off if there is a leak. It won't run if it's low on refrigerant. They don't produce oxygen they just condition the air. You home along with just about every other home has leakage rates which allow fresh air into the home. The accepted rate per ASHRAE is 25% of the volume of the home per hour. In really tight homes they introduce outside air to purge out indoor pollutants. Your leakage rate can be calculated by data logging CO2 in the home and outside the home. Wind and leaky ducts are the main source of leakage in your home.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
Hi BigJon,

I have a question about figuring out the price of a new system for an old house with no duct work. Is there a general rule of thumb in trying to "guesstimate" the price of a new system? Thanks
Not really. Practically every home has it's unique problems or conditions. The best thing to do is get as many quotes as possible. Research as much as possible and figure out what type of system you want. Unfortunately retro fits are more expensive than new installs.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:44 AM

905 posts, read 3,464,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Not really. Practically every home has it's unique problems or conditions. The best thing to do is get as many quotes as possible. Research as much as possible and figure out what type of system you want. Unfortunately retro fits are more expensive than new installs.
Thanks for the reply! As soon as I close I will begin the estimating process.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:04 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,334,881 times
we have a heat pump and i need to get a new cooling coil for the top because the one in there is pretty corroded from lack of care from previous owners. where could i look to find a new one ? i had a guy come out and he told me that it would run me around 400 bucks for a new one. also the fan on the compressor is it suposed to spin fast or slow? it seems to push air pretty good but it doesn't spin real fast. thanks for any help.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 AM

The higher SEER systems like 13 and up the fan typically spins slower but the blades are angled more aggressively and are a bit larger. For the coil, that's going to be a harder fix. You need to be able to remove the refrigerant and vacuum the system then after installed make sure it's correctly charged and has the proper amount of air flow. Typically a homeowner will not be able to get the correct coil that they need to get because most parts houses and mfg'ers will not sell to the public. You can do a search on your model number after taking measurements and give it a try. If you find one the hard part after that will be finding a company to do the install. They typically include markups as part of a business plan on items, although some companies may do it so you never know.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:31 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,334,881 times
thanks for your help. i guess i'll let the a/c man take care of it.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,694 times
We have 3 a/c unit in the house. In the main floor with roughly 2500 SF (2 a/c), we keep the temp around 78 and in the basement with another 1200 SF, we keep the termostat at around 85 since we're hardly downstares and even during the Arizona summer months, the temperature in the basement never reaches 85. Is this the best way to efficiently utilize our 3 a/c units? Should we adjust the basement to 78 to even the load on the 3 a/c units? In the main floor we have sun screen in the windows and blinds. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House