Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 04:10 PM

29,920 posts, read 39,627,021 times

Advertisements

Good job. I would do that once a year at least and clean the filters as needed. I couldn't find anything more than you probably already have on the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 04:13 PM
PNH

44 posts, read 223,092 times
I am new to the whole A/C thing. I moved about three weeks ago into a home with A/C. Where I lived before, I didn't need A/C, but in this new location I do.

So . . . my question is very basic because of my ignorance.

The A/C unit in my house is original to the home, which means that it dates from 1977. When I first tried using it, air would blow through it, but the system didn't cool the air at all. I have a home warranty, so I had them come out and check the system. The technician arrived at 7 a.m. when it was chilly outside, and said that, according to him, the system was working because he could get it to cool the air. When I told him that the air in the afternoon was blowing out of the vents at 90 or 95 degrees, he just shrugged and said he couldn't do anything about it.

A day or so later, the unit started making a noise that sounded like a chain saw. It was intermittent at first and then constant. I had the service guy come back out again, and he said that he will need to replace the motor.

Here are my questions: Will replacing the motor make it so that the unit actually cools the air, or will I have the same problem with it running like a fan but not cooling anything? Do the coils automatically get replaced when the motor gets replaced, or do I need to account for that separately? What questions do I need to ask to make sure that the work will fix the problem once and for all? And finally, the repair guy said that he will need to clean the unit before he can replace the motor; the home warranty does not cover this and he wants to charge me $250. Does this sound accurate?

I want to make sure that I get the service that I need, and not something that cuts corners just so the home warranty folks don't have to spend their money!

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNH View Post
Here are my questions: Will replacing the motor make it so that the unit actually cools the air, or will I have the same problem with it running like a fan but not cooling anything?
The A/C system needs 3 motors running to cool the home. The indoor fan which circulates interior air. The exterior fan which pulls ambient air through the coil so the outside coil can reject the heat that it absorbed through the inside coil (put your hand over the top of the outdoor unit the air should feel warmer than ambient air) and the compressor which circulates the refrigerant and allows the system to cool. Any of these items not working will cause the system to not cool.

Quote:
Do the coils automatically get replaced when the motor gets replaced, or do I need to account for that separately?
No they don't automatically get replaced they usually get replaced if leaking.

Quote:
What questions do I need to ask to make sure that the work will fix the problem once and for all?
Which fan is it exactly the outside motor?

Quote:
And finally, the repair guy said that he will need to clean the unit before he can replace the motor; the home warranty does not cover this and he wants to charge me $250. Does this sound accurate?
He doesn't "need" to clean the unit to replace the motor however a clean system is required for it to work properly.

I'll be honest. I wouldn't go dumping much money into the system. @ 31 years old you have gotten about twice the life out of the system one normally sees. I would seriously think about getting it in the budget for replacement....you may get nickle and dimed to death and have all sorts of new parts thrown at the system and it's still inefficient and still 31 years old. Nothing worse then spending a bunch of money to have something fixed then a few weeks down the road something just as expensive goes out.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:50 AM

878 posts, read 2,751,456 times
This is naive...I live in a houe build in 2004 in Atlanta area. I have my twice a year HVAC checks and in April they told me the freon (spelling) was low and there must be a leak...I paid $100 to refill it. He looked for leaks but could not find it...he asked me if the place was cooling and I said yes. My question is, do I have them come out and check the freon level again or wait until the Fall check.
Also, not sure if you can answer this one but is it true that I should simply set my temperature at one level rather than up and down to preserve costs...I have found that this year I have left both levels (I have two units) at 74 and my bill which averaged 210 last summebr is averaging 140.
Thanks

Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
This is naive...I live in a house build in 2004 in Atlanta area. I have my twice a year HVAC checks and in April they told me the freon (spelling) was low and there must be a leak...I paid $100 to refill it. He looked for leaks but could not find it...he asked me if the place was cooling and I said yes. My question is, do I have them come out and check the freon level again or wait until the Fall check.
If he looked for leaks and can not find any then he didn't look hard enough. Hand him this : http://efficientcomfort.net/document...ion_Manual.pdf

Remind him of leaking schradder valves and orings missing from caps for the schradder valves. The leak won't seem apparent while the gauges are on but as soon as he leaves with a leaking schradder valve and oring missing from the caps....instant invisible leak. If they can't seem to find the leak ask them for a competent tech. Electronic leak detectors can find leaks as little as .1/oz/year....bluestufff makes even smaller leaks apparent...they just have to look harder they he apparently was willing to do. 5 oclock will do that to some folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
Also, not sure if you can answer this one but is it true that I should simply set my temperature at one level rather than up and down to preserve costs...I have found that this year I have left both levels (I have two units) at 74 and my bill which averaged 210 last summebr is averaging 140.
Thanks
What type of system do you have? Heatpump? Furnace or electric backup? What method would you be setting the t-stat back...like off when you leave for work then back on when you walk in the door?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM

878 posts, read 2,751,456 times
I have to try and find out what type of system I have...I have no idea...no never turn it off...more like 76 in the day and down to 73 at night...thank you so very much.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 PM

7 posts, read 13,009 times
Hope you are still providing answers?
I just bought a house divided into two seperate residences.
The downstair AC is working fine, the upper air-handler runs, but the outside compressor won't kick on? I checked the thermostat controls, and set to high temp it cuts off the air-handler correctly, and turns it on when lowered, but no go with the outside unit.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:29 PM

238 posts, read 1,252,586 times
Hi Jon...First of all...it's very nice of you to offer advice to us novices!! Thank you~
My question...we are having a 2800 sq ft home built by a national builder in Coastal SC..it's a ranch with bonus room over the garage. The builder is putting in 2 Lennox (don't know the model as of yet) 13 seer units...a 4 ton for the house & 1 1/2 ton for the bonus rm. Next month we go for the pre-day inspection...do these units seem adequate? Also, should the garage ceiling/bonus room floor have extra insulation?
Thanks, again for you answers!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeburge View Post
Hope you are still providing answers?
I just bought a house divided into two seperate residences.
The downstair AC is working fine, the upper air-handler runs, but the outside compressor won't kick on? I checked the thermostat controls, and set to high temp it cuts off the air-handler correctly, and turns it on when lowered, but no go with the outside unit.

The entire outside unit or just the compressor?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
Hi Jon...First of all...it's very nice of you to offer advice to us novices!! Thank you~
My question...we are having a 2800 sq ft home built by a national builder in Coastal SC..it's a ranch with bonus room over the garage. The builder is putting in 2 Lennox (don't know the model as of yet) 13 seer units...a 4 ton for the house & 1 1/2 ton for the bonus rm. Next month we go for the pre-day inspection...do these units seem adequate? Also, should the garage ceiling/bonus room floor have extra insulation?
Thanks, again for you answers!
If your just buying it do you have pictures of the home from all sides?

Also you say coastal.....how close to the actual coast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House