Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
I am an RN working in Honolulu for the past 3 years, and would be happy to answer any specific questions that I could concerning life here and nursing.

I have previous experience as an RN in Florida, so can provide some comparison between the two states.

Aloha -

John

HI I am from Florida as well, can you give me 411 on nursing jobs in oahu where, hospitals, salasry and how to go about it if I plan to travel there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,200 times
Hi,
I was wondering which hospital you work at. A 1:4 nurse patient ratio is great..

Old 05-14-2010, 12:10 AM

29 posts, read 104,807 times
In case my personal experience helps anyone... I graduated nursing school in December and moved to the Big Island later that same month. Keep in mind this was after more than 18 months of personal preparation. I took my board exams in Honolulu about a month later and began applying for work immediately after. We're closing in on six months now since the move and I've not yet obtained stable work (although I graduated "Summa *** Laude", am ACLS certified, with two years as a nurse tech in a high acuity SICU, and excellent references...both mainland and island).
It may be worth noting that new grads are the hardest hit. There are a lot of us here (my island has two institutions pumping out volumes of RNs). It appears that the majority of prospective employers drop me immediately when they hear I have less than "one year experience".
In our case my wife and I are doing just fine because we came prepared (financially and otherwise). However, I will tell you that I've given it my very best effort to find employment. Two weeks ago I got my first work of any kind, a temp. position through an agency as an LPN clinic nurse (note: I am an RN). Now that clinic wants to hire me permanently as an RN. It's kind of like stepping stones. The path I've chosen is a humble one, but it's working out for me. We're here for the long haul.

I wish each of you all the best as you pursue your dreams, wherever they take you.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:32 AM

41 posts, read 144,979 times
I am on Oahu and I know of several new RN grads who were unable to find employment as a RN here. After a year or so of not finding a job they gave up & relocated to the mainland where they had no problem finding employment.

I also know of several experienced RNs on Oahu who had not been able to find permanent employment. They have had to take positions with temporary staffing agencies, work in a LPN position, or work in an area outside of nursing.

I work as a RN for the State of Hawaii so I am furloughed two days a month. Two days a month may not seem like much but it has really hurt me financially. I have tried to find another part time RN job but even with 27 years experience as a RN, having lived on Oahu for 12 years & having excellent references I have not had any luck so far.

This is not a good time for nurses from the mainland to consider relocating here for permanent employment. Hopefully the economy here will improve soon & there will be more nursing jobs available in the future.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:48 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,563 times
My friend graduated from HPU in 2008 and couldn't find a job on Oahu and eventually landed a job in CA

Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM

17 posts, read 39,930 times
Lived on Oahu, and it seems that most people - no matter what profession - consider moving to the mainland to save money and live easier. Kind of ironic...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,744 times
Just checking into the job situation over there! Any new breakthroughs? I sent for my Hawaiian license just a few weeks ago, I do have 1 year med-surg experience...and heaven knows that Hawaii is where I want to be! But I'm wondering what my chances are!
Thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,744 times
Question To Lisa from Maui

Hello! Just curious...any luck finding a job? I am also an RN and have been waiting for my experience to rack up so that I could move over to the islands!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 AM

41 posts, read 144,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved Butterfly View Post
Just checking into the job situation over there! Any new breakthroughs? I sent for my Hawaiian license just a few weeks ago, I do have 1 year med-surg experience...and heaven knows that Hawaii is where I want to be! But I'm wondering what my chances are!
Thanks!
Nothing has changed. Nursing jobs are still hard to get, even for nurses with many years of experience.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,775 times
Hi John, I too am in Fl at the moment contemplating a few travel assignments in Hawaii. What island is the most affordable? I'd like to be near the beach of course and big city that offers everything. Thanks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii