Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 31,905 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have been in Nursing over 32 years. Have my degree BSN in Nursing and have worked in the fields of Surgery, Maturnity, Neonatal Intensive Care, and most recently in Public Health Nursing.
I have been in the field of Public Health Nursing for over 17 years. Focus is on preventative health working in the community, immunizations, school education and pre and post natal. In addition I was a lactation consultant-internationally certified.
My interest is to find out what type of nursing that offers similar in Hawaii. I would be willing to look into Geriatric nursing as well.
Any ideas where I could search and if there is a contact?
Thank you so very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 17,812 times
is it true that hawaii is a walk in state to get your nursing licese

Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 AM

41 posts, read 214,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTAM View Post
1. also keep in mind, it may be somewhat of a challenge to be accepted and trusted by the "locals". i worked briefly on Kauai. it was hell. left as soon as i could. (initially went because my sister lives there and has for 22 years)

2. if you have kids, remember the public schools are HORRIBLE. my sister's son graduated two years ago and his spelling and grammar are on the same level as mine was in junior high school!!
1. I hate it when people trash talk the locals just because they come here with baggage. I have only lived here for 2 years, and I have had NO problem with the locals. In fact, I have had far more problem with the population of Mainlanders that work on the base than I have had with locals. However, you have to understand, I have lived in 3 countries and about 12 states, so I understand how people are different around the world. Many people come to Kaua'i thinking that they can complain about how the locals don't act like where they came from, or complain about the high cost of living and how they can't wait to get back, and still be accepted and loved by the locals. No deal. Either love it here, or leave. These islands have been populated for thousands of years without you, and they will continue when you're gone.

2. That is the absolute truth, but it's the truth most places in the United States now because the teacher's unions have a monopoly on education, so it's no worse than many places in Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, etc.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 14,866 times
which hospitals are hiring graduate nurses on Oahu? i would prefer to work ICU/ED, is that possible for fresh grad w/o experience? thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 10:50 PM

68 posts, read 245,140 times
Aloha! My wife and I are considering moving to Hawaii for at least part time in a couple years after we retire. Shes an RN with about 25 years experience and I work for the state Agriculture Dept here in Michigan. Between our pensions and soc sec, I figure we should make around $85k a year. Hopefully with our experience we could both find part time jobs to make a little extra cash and meet some people. My wifes a filipina and Im haole. I used to date a Hawaiian girl for awhile before getting married. She was a kumu hula and fluent in the language so I picked up a little bit. If anyone has any advice on moving there, it would be appreciated. Malama pono. A hui hou. Dave

Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 14,771 times
Hi NMRNEd,John. I am a new grad from Connecticut. Did you say they do or do not hire new grads? I graduated from a 2 yr RN program here in CT in January and passed the NCLEX in March. It is SO difficult to find a place hiring here in Ct. and always wanted to move to Hawaii anyway. Maybe now is the time. p.s. your blog about Hawaii info was great! Thanks.

Jan

Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 PM

84 posts, read 406,916 times
bump on Janet's question about hiring new grads for nursing.... do they , or don't they?

Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 14,767 times
Default Np positions?

hi John:

Do you know of any nurse practitoner positions available where you are, assuming that you are in the island of oahu? Have been an NP for 4 years and am more than willing and ready to move there. I lived in kaneohe in the previous past, been in washington state forever...there is only so much rain and lack of sunshine I can tolerate still have relatives in oahu, be nice to be around them again. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
Nursing is unionized in Hawaii, and the union negotiates salaries.

At present there is a 'tiered' system in place based upon experience.
New graduates start at 30.00 per hour (or very very close to that) and the wages step up every 6 months until you hit "job rate" at 2 years.
Presently, the job rate is 40.00 per hour (again very very close if not exact).
There are differentials for evening and night shifts, but no weekend differential.

Travel nursing companies generally require at least 1 year of experience before they will hire you, so starting out with travel probably wouldn't work out. I wouldn't suggest it, anyway, because travel nursing is difficult - you only go to places that are short on staff - and nurses need to be able to function very independently.

There are plenty of facilities here that do hire new graduates, so I don't mean to put a damper on things; just that to travel here or anywhere, you'll need some experience first.

We do have a shortage of nurses, and are always happy to get qualified staff.

At the same time, a lot of people think that they will move to Hawaii, eat pineapple and coconut on the beach, surf, and maybe work every now and then. The reality is that nursing is demanding work, and you are tired at the end of your shift. Again, this is true of nursing everywhere. Visiting somewhere and living there are two radically different experiences.

I used to tell people that just because they had been to Disneyworld and had a good time, it didn't mean that they would like living in Florida. Sort of the same idea.

All that being said - I love living here, and work is fantastic. Nursing is still hard work, but I easily earn twice what I earned in Florida - and the nurse-patient ratios are 1:4 in med-surg. I love my work, and enjoy taking care of people.

The cost of living is high in Hawaii, especially housing. In my experience, nurses can easily live a comfortable life here. The cost of living is easily 30-40% higher than many other places on the mainland, however.

Hope this helps.....

John

Old 04-11-2009, 04:52 PM

74 posts, read 333,724 times
"bump on Janet's question about hiring new grads for nursing.... do they , or don't they?"

Even though Hawaii has a nursing shortage like many areas in the mainland, because of the economic downturn many of the hospitals on Oahu are limiting their hiring unless you already have work experience or the organization is personally familiar with you as a worker in another capacity. Also, because of all the financial belt-tightening, new grad programs are few and far between. This is doubly ironic because you can't get experience unless you get a job. I've noted traveling RNs are not being hired as much, and in some facilities the use of agency RNs has been dramatically cut back, both because of the expense. Instead, some hospitals are allowing the F/T RNs the opportunity to work OT, apparently because it is cheaper than paying agency/traveler fees.

I would not advise moving here first with the intent of finding a job after you get here, <especially> if you are a new grad. One CNA I work with graduated w/ her BSN last Dec. but has yet to find an RN job despite multiple applications. She said all the places she inquired with want experience.

Check the hospital's employment websites and make your inquiries through that mode before you commit to coming to HI. On Oahu, the major metropolitan hospitals are The Queen's Medical Center, Hawaii Pacific Health (a conglomeration of several hospitals, the Oahu ones being Straub Clinic and Hospital, Kapiolani Medical Center at Pali Momi and Kapiolani Med. Ctr. for Women and Children), Kuakini Medical Ctr, Kaiser Medical Ctr and Hawaii Medical Ctr-East and HMC-West (forewarning: HMC is undergoing bankruptcy proceedings.) Outlying smaller hospitals are Castle Medical Ctr on the windward side, and Wahiawa General Hospital on the leeward side (HMC-West is also on the leeward side.)

Old 04-24-2009, 07:44 PM

3 posts, read 31,905 times
Can anyone give me direction on where to apply for a Nursing Postion on the Big Island. I am interested in the west side of Kona anywhere along that coast line from Parker Ranch to Cook area.
I have several years of experience and was married and honeymooned in Hawaii. I was there many times and yearn to return.
Thank you so very much.
Canada Nurse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii