Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,957 times

Advertisements

John, i am an er nurse with 14 yrs er experience, and cath lab. I currently work in florida as a charge er rn, my husband is possibly getting transferred to kailua, i read some threads that said it was difficult if not impossible to get a job as a nurse. Your post was refreshing. I would appreciate any guidance, info you could give me. Thank you, [email]beachbum12be@comcast.net[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 05:20 PM

18 posts, read 42,694 times
I get calls from MedStaff every now and then with offers in Hilo or Wailuku on BI. Too bad, I'm on Oahu and there's absolutely for sure NOTHING to be found here. Just like the article says, there is a surplus of RNs in the state. Even Tripler AMC is overstaffed. As soon as my DH is done with his assignment we are out of here.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 12,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToulaHawaiiBound View Post
As the question of nursing jobs seems to be a constant on this board, thought this link from today's Star-Advertiser might set out the true position.

Nurses in ample supply - Hawaii Business - Staradvertiser.com
Thanks for the information! I know nursing jobs are hectic to find in Hawaii but I plan to transfer there within the VA system. I graduate from NP school next year and plan to transfer in 2012-13. I don't feel that I would be "taking" a nursing job away from a relative or friend as stated in a prior post. Since I an employee of Departmentof Veteran Affairs (VA), I would have priority over a position than an outsider anyways.

I am curious if anyone would know how mnay Vepartment of Veteran Affairs (VA) CBOC's are there in Hawaii?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 12,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfoxx View Post
Please read previous posts in this thread concerning jobs for nurses in Hawaii. The job market for RNs in Hawaii is poor. There are many nurses who are already living in Hawaii who are looking for jobs. New RN grads in Hawaii are unable to finde jobs here. If you really want to work as a nurse in Hawaii you will have to take a non-traditional route to get your foot in the door here. Takiing a job through a local agency (such as Alterus) as a RN, LPN, or CNA is your best bet. And yes I mean working as a LPN or CNA even though you are a RN. Many RNs are having to work as LPN or CNA but are able to work there way into RN positions through doing this. Be prepared for much hostility from local nurses if you are able to get a job as a RN here. You will be taking a job away from one of their relatives or friends who is a RN & is looking for a job.

I would be transferring within the VA system. I already work as an RN in the ICU. I graduate from fromk NP school next year. From what my recruiter showed me over here, there are alot of positions open in CBOC's over there (Department of Veterans Affairs-VA) I think I am a little fortunate because I am already employed with the VA system and it would be an inside transfer. But thansk for the info!

Old 12-08-2010, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,701 times
John,
I am a registered nurse and just moved to Oahu 1 year ago. I have children, so I am looking for part time or something per diem. I have been a nurse since 2001, but I have been a stay at home mom for 2 years now. My experience is in OB (L&D, postpartum, well baby) and my last job was in a busy family practice/urgent care clinic. It just seems all the job postings are for full time. I actually was corresponding through email with the OB manager at Tripler, was about to set up an interview, but I told her I was only wanting part time and she told me that they needed full time! I have never had this kind of problem getting a job. I have worked in Louisiana and Alaska! Any suggestions would help; )!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,993 times
do not come to Hawaii unless you have a written job offer.The have graduated so many nurses no one is getting looked at-unless you are experienced in ICU,PICU,ER,NICU etc.Several new grads I know are working as CNA's and are happy to have that.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:03 PM

41 posts, read 145,015 times
Even experienced RNs aren't finding jobs & are working as CNAs.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,103,364 times
Just a FYI, my friends daughter a nurse, did check into this at great length. She was so appalled at the quality of care in Maui, she changed her plans about going there. She then checked with friends that were in Oahu and they said don't bother, she would not be happy working there either. ...not sure why. So just make sure you check into it. Besides it being SO expensive to live there.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:29 PM

14 posts, read 53,503 times
Default Would like to know for sure?

We were just there in May and my wife talked to several HR people. She is an LPN not A RN they said work would not be that hard to get so either they were telling her what she wanted to hear or nurses are trying to keep people from coming to hawaii to keep jobs safe? May be different for RNS I don't know. But there are 20,037 active RN licenses in Hawaii so I can see why there might be A problem!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:36 PM

13 posts, read 30,445 times
If nursing jobs are in such low supply, why the relocation assistance offers on the job postings? (Queens, Kona Community), and the multiple listings for RNs on the employment site of Maui Memorial? What am I missing? Has the outlook improved for RNs seeking employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii