Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 7,383 times

Advertisements

I am a CNM looking at a temp assignment for an OB clinic in Honolulu. They are willing to give me $1500 a month for housing but they don't plan on paying much more than the $40/hr. I am currently in Florida & would love to get in touch with someone there who can give me advice. They don't plan on paying for transportation & want me to take the bus. We don't even have public transportation in many of Florida's cities. How expensive is food? Could I get by with renting a scooter if I needed to? TIA!

At present there is a 'tiered' system in place based upon experience.
New graduates start at 30.00 per hour (or very very close to that) and the wages step up every 6 months until you hit "job rate" at 2 years.
Presently, the job rate is 40.00 per hour (again very very close if not exact).
There are differentials for evening and night shifts, but no weekend differential.

Travel nursing companies generally require at least 1 year of experience before they will hire you, so starting out with travel probably wouldn't work out. I wouldn't suggest it, anyway, because travel nursing is difficult - you only go to places that are short on staff - and nurses need to be able to function very independently.

There are plenty of facilities here that do hire new graduates, so I don't mean to put a damper on things; just that to travel here or anywhere, you'll need some experience first.

We do have a shortage of nurses, and are always happy to get qualified staff.

At the same time, a lot of people think that they will move to Hawaii, eat pineapple and coconut on the beach, surf, and maybe work every now and then. The reality is that nursing is demanding work, and you are tired at the end of your shift. Again, this is true of nursing everywhere. Visiting somewhere and living there are two radically different experiences.

I used to tell people that just because they had been to Disneyworld and had a good time, it didn't mean that they would like living in Florida. Sort of the same idea.

All that being said - I love living here, and work is fantastic. Nursing is still hard work, but I easily earn twice what I earned in Florida - and the nurse-patient ratios are 1:4 in med-surg. I love my work, and enjoy taking care of people.

The cost of living is high in Hawaii, especially housing. In my experience, nurses can easily live a comfortable life here. The cost of living is easily 30-40% higher than many other places on the mainland, however.

Hope this helps.....

John[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:51 PM

10 posts, read 34,093 times
I am an RN at Hilo Medical Center in OB. I moved here 6/22/11. Placed my application 6/23/11 and finally was given an interview 2 months later. I started working yesterday. There are lots of postings at HMC for nurses. They are looking for experience. Yes, we do have a nursing school here but the hospital would prefer experience. I think there are plenty of nursing jobs here. You just need to be patient and not expect to be paid like on the Mainland. I was offered 2 other jobs besides the hospital.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM

52 posts, read 159,402 times
Wow. You are ambivalent and they are going to be paying you $95K/year ($40/hr x 40HR work week + $1500/mo)? Be careful here, some of the locals will say you are "contributing to the problem".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klcnm View Post
I am a CNM looking at a temp assignment for an OB clinic in Honolulu. They are willing to give me $1500 a month for housing but they don't plan on paying much more than the $40/hr.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byerssue View Post
I am an RN at Hilo Medical Center in OB. I moved here 6/22/11. Placed my application 6/23/11 and finally was given an interview 2 months later. I started working yesterday. There are lots of postings at HMC for nurses. They are looking for experience. Yes, we do have a nursing school here but the hospital would prefer experience. I think there are plenty of nursing jobs here. You just need to be patient and not expect to be paid like on the Mainland. I was offered 2 other jobs besides the hospital.
Since the cost of living in Hawaii is astronomical why aren't the nursing wages reflective of that? Why should nurses expect lower wages in Hawaii?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM

140 posts, read 407,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit808 View Post
Wow. You are ambivalent and they are going to be paying you $95K/year ($40/hr x 40HR work week + $1500/mo)? Be careful here, some of the locals will say you are "contributing to the problem".
i think nurses earn their keep. i don't envy their job, not matter how much they earn their keep. i just hate the lazy ones that sit in the nursing station and ignore patients. i've seen both.

OP, like the byerssue mentioned if you have previous experience you have a bargaining chip.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 7,228 times
I am currently an RN in south florida working in med-surg/tele for 2 years with 2 years LPN experience in LTC. I am looking into moving to Hawaii and trying to research everything first. I understand the pay is tiered but I cant figure out how much I would be making. Please help! Here I work 3-12 hr shifts, what are the hours there? If the nurse to patient ratio is 1:4, are there nursing assistants to help with patient care? My long term goal is to work in the ICU, would my experience qualify me there?
Is there discrimination towards people that are not originally from Hawaii?
If the cost of living is 30-40% more how much are we looking at for a gallon of milk? One bedroom apartment near the ocean?
A major problem I have with south florida (the prescription drug capital of the world) is addiction and drug-seekers. What is the physician drug of choice for pain management? What is the most annoying part of the nursing job in Hawaii?

so many questions, hope you can help

Old 10-12-2011, 04:02 PM

52 posts, read 159,402 times
1. 3-12 hour shifts is standard no matter what state you are in. You may even end up on a 4-3-3-4-3-3 type schedule. (4 on, 3 off etc.) Nobody can tell you except the Nursing Manager that hires you.

2. Nurse patient 1:4 on an MSW unit? good luck with that.

3. Let your resume speak for itself and don't worry yourself about discrimination.

4. Everything, not just milk is more expensive. Wait until you get your first electric bill from HECO. That will be enough to turn you into an energy conserving tree-hugger.

5. Everything is "near the ocean". I wouldn't suggest getting a 1/1 in Kalihi. You may want to base where you live on what hospital hires you because gas will also kick you in the shorts. Currently it is over $4 a gallon despite the mainland prices.

6. Nursing is nursing. Leave all that judgmental crap about whether or not your patient is a "drug-seeker" or not at the door. That is one of the common pitfalls of the staff nurse. Treat the patient, not your lack of subjectivity/empathy.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMANNY954 View Post
I am currently an RN in south florida working in med-surg/tele for 2 years with 2 years LPN experience in LTC. I am looking into moving to Hawaii and trying to research everything first.
A major problem I have with south florida (the prescription drug capital of the world) is addiction and drug-seekers. What is the physician drug of choice for pain management? What is the most annoying part of the nursing job in Hawaii?

so many questions, hope you can help

Old 11-03-2011, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,085 times
Wink Hawaii travel nursing

Hi, I have been in the nursing field for 32 years. 17 of those as an RN. The majority of my experience has been in Endoscopy, Med-Surg, and OB-Post-Partum, however, I worked in agencies and float pools for several years and worked LTC's and many other units.
My questions are how current does your experience have to be to work in a unit? 1 year?
I also noted by the post below that the current pay is 30$ for new grads and 40$ for those with 2+ years of experience. Is this for Travel nurses or permanent staff?
I have a daughter returning to Oahu from Afghanistan next year and would love to spend some time with her.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 13,981 times
Default looking to work in hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
Nursing is unionized in Hawaii, and the union negotiates salaries.

At present there is a 'tiered' system in place based upon experience.
New graduates start at 30.00 per hour (or very very close to that) and the wages step up every 6 months until you hit "job rate" at 2 years.
Presently, the job rate is 40.00 per hour (again very very close if not exact).
There are differentials for evening and night shifts, but no weekend differential.

Travel nursing companies generally require at least 1 year of experience before they will hire you, so starting out with travel probably wouldn't work out. I wouldn't suggest it, anyway, because travel nursing is difficult - you only go to places that are short on staff - and nurses need to be able to function very independently.

There are plenty of facilities here that do hire new graduates, so I don't mean to put a damper on things; just that to travel here or anywhere, you'll need some experience first.

We do have a shortage of nurses, and are always happy to get qualified staff.

At the same time, a lot of people think that they will move to Hawaii, eat pineapple and coconut on the beach, surf, and maybe work every now and then. The reality is that nursing is demanding work, and you are tired at the end of your shift. Again, this is true of nursing everywhere. Visiting somewhere and living there are two radically different experiences.

I used to tell people that just because they had been to Disneyworld and had a good time, it didn't mean that they would like living in Florida. Sort of the same idea.

All that being said - I love living here, and work is fantastic. Nursing is still hard work, but I easily earn twice what I earned in Florida - and the nurse-patient ratios are 1:4 in med-surg. I love my work, and enjoy taking care of people.

The cost of living is high in Hawaii, especially housing. In my experience, nurses can easily live a comfortable life here. The cost of living is easily 30-40% higher than many other places on the mainland, however.

Hope this helps.....

John

Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 AM

2 posts, read 13,981 times
Talking looking to work in hawaii

I am thinking about relocating to hawaii.....i am adn R.N. with 25 years of acute care exp., including supervision. I am also 65 yrs old...anyone think that jobs are avail. for such an old gopher....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii