Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:48 PM

465 posts, read 2,427,615 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Atlanta and am comtemplating a move as I prepare to finish nursing school. Just wondering what quality of life a nurse can expect to have in Hawaii, and are there a lot of nursing jobs down there? Also, what's the best island for being near shopping and activities and not necessarily be in the thick of things. Maybe a neighborhood or area that's quiet and not so crowded, but with close proximity to everything I need. I'm dying to live near the beach, but California is looking to be out of the question, it's so much going on there, and seems to me more people are leaving than coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 78,070 times
Default nursing jobs

Hello, I've been trying to find out that same thing? When I checked there weren't any listings except for on other islands. Maybe travel nurse?

Old 12-18-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsa12 View Post
Hello, I've been trying to find out that same thing? When I checked there weren't any listings except for on other islands. Maybe travel nurse?
I was wondering about travel nursing down there myself. I was thinking that would be the best way to experience Hawaii, seeing how it's so expensive. However, I personal messaged Konafriend, whose been in Kona for 10 years and knows the area well, and is a staple on this forum. He says with the exception of a couple of hospitals, (on two different islands) the healthcare system in Hawaii is poor. So I don't know what that means for jobs. I have a girlfriend in North Carolina who actually got a travel nurse opportunity in Hawaii, and turned it down! She's regreted ever since, so the jobs do exist in travel down there. Let me know if you find out any info.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 25,770 times
My understanding from reading and listening to some of the local radio stations is that medical jobs of almost all types are in high demand on the Big Island of Hawaii. You might check out searching more local newspaper employment ads. For instance if you are interested in living in or near Kona then check out the employment ads in West Hawaii Today http://www.westhawaiitoday.com.

It would probably be better for you to decide which island and subdivision(s) you would like to live in before researching the job situation. If you are a city person then consider Oahu. If you are more of a country living type person then you might consider the Big Island.

Good luck!

Kona Dave

Old 12-20-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaDave View Post
My understanding from reading and listening to some of the local radio stations is that medical jobs of almost all types are in high demand on the Big Island of Hawaii. You might check out searching more local newspaper employment ads. For instance if you are interested in living in or near Kona then check out the employment ads in West Hawaii Today http://www.westhawaiitoday.com.

It would probably be better for you to decide which island and subdivision(s) you would like to live in before researching the job situation. If you are a city person then consider Oahu. If you are more of a country living type person then you might consider the Big Island.

Good luck!

Kona Dave
Thanks Kona Dave! I have checked out that website before.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:15 PM

10 posts, read 151,216 times
there is a nurse shortage, they hire nurses from all over the world because of it!

Old 12-28-2006, 05:25 PM

15 posts, read 224,851 times
Default Nursing in Hawaii

I am an RN working in Honolulu for the past 3 years, and would be happy to answer any specific questions that I could concerning life here and nursing.

I have previous experience as an RN in Florida, so can provide some comparison between the two states.

Aloha -

John

Old 12-29-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
I am an RN working in Honolulu for the past 3 years, and would be happy to answer any specific questions that I could concerning life here and nursing.

I have previous experience as an RN in Florida, so can provide some comparison between the two states.

Aloha -

John
Yes, John, what are they paying RN's fresh out of school there? And do you know anything about travel nursing in Hawaii? I wonder what kind of lifestyle a nurse can expect to have there? Comfortable, or barely making it?

Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 224,851 times
Default Nursing jobs

Nursing is unionized in Hawaii, and the union negotiates salaries.

At present there is a 'tiered' system in place based upon experience.
New graduates start at 30.00 per hour (or very very close to that) and the wages step up every 6 months until you hit "job rate" at 2 years.
Presently, the job rate is 40.00 per hour (again very very close if not exact).
There are differentials for evening and night shifts, but no weekend differential.

Travel nursing companies generally require at least 1 year of experience before they will hire you, so starting out with travel probably wouldn't work out. I wouldn't suggest it, anyway, because travel nursing is difficult - you only go to places that are short on staff - and nurses need to be able to function very independently.

There are plenty of facilities here that do hire new graduates, so I don't mean to put a damper on things; just that to travel here or anywhere, you'll need some experience first.

We do have a shortage of nurses, and are always happy to get qualified staff.

At the same time, a lot of people think that they will move to Hawaii, eat pineapple and coconut on the beach, surf, and maybe work every now and then. The reality is that nursing is demanding work, and you are tired at the end of your shift. Again, this is true of nursing everywhere. Visiting somewhere and living there are two radically different experiences.

I used to tell people that just because they had been to Disneyworld and had a good time, it didn't mean that they would like living in Florida. Sort of the same idea.

All that being said - I love living here, and work is fantastic. Nursing is still hard work, but I easily earn twice what I earned in Florida - and the nurse-patient ratios are 1:4 in med-surg. I love my work, and enjoy taking care of people.

The cost of living is high in Hawaii, especially housing. In my experience, nurses can easily live a comfortable life here. The cost of living is easily 30-40% higher than many other places on the mainland, however.

Hope this helps.....

John

Old 01-02-2007, 08:15 AM

Thanks, John. That puts a new light on things. I figured I could make a decent living there. I also was aware that you need one year experience to travel. I was just wondering if you had run into any travelers and how they were fairing. That med-surg patient to nurse ration is pretty good. I think I would love living in Hawaii. I have some friends in Kona that came from the mainland 5 years ago, and they love it. Yes, nursing is hard work anywhere you go, although I don't plan to spend the better part of my career in a hospital. I'm even contemplating going on to become a nurse practitioner. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii